Need advice: Papa New Guinea Vs. New Caledonia?

We’re planning an Australia/New Zealand cruise in early 2019, and we’d like to do a second cruise while we’re there. We have two options. The first is a Royal Caribbean cruise out of Sydney that visits three ports in New Caledonia and one in Vanuatu. The other option is a Princess cruise out of Brisbane that visits five different spots in Papa New Guinea. It’s very difficult to find info on line. From the photos I’ve seen, Papa New Guinea appears to be more beautiful, but it sounds as though it may not be that safe? And we all know photos can be deceiving. Our biggest passion is snorkeling. I’d love to hear your experiences in either location. Thanks!

Papua New Guinea is very different and very interesting. The ports the cruises go to are fairly safe, we had no issues when we went there. Some of the ports are reputed to be very good for snorkelling although I haven't snorkelled there. I'm not sure if there would be snorkelling at Alotau or Rabaul though. If it's very early in 2019 it will probably be quite rainy and humid in PNG.

New Caledonia has some lovely snorkelling especially at Lifou - if you choose this option make sure you either book to go to Jinek Bay, or if booking aren't available (some cruise lines don't organize them) then head over there as early as you can as the numbers allowed in the water are limited to around 100 in the morning and again in the afternoon. This is to help protect the reef.

Without knowing exactly which ports those cruises are going to I can't help with further comments.

We’re planning an Australia/New Zealand cruise in early 2019, and we’d like to do a second cruise while we’re there. We have two options. The first is a Royal Caribbean cruise out of Sydney that visits three ports in New Caledonia and one in Vanuatu. The other option is a Princess cruise out of Brisbane that visits five different spots in Papa New Guinea. It’s very difficult to find info on line. From the photos I’ve seen, Papa New Guinea appears to be more beautiful, but it sounds as though it may not be that safe? And we all know photos can be deceiving. Our biggest passion is snorkeling. I’d love to hear your experiences in either location. Thanks!

Both are good. It depends on how adventurous you feel.

New Caledonia/Vanuatu is the standard tourist run from Sydney or Brisbane. It's kind of like those 7 day cruises out of Port Everglades into the Caribbean, except the South Pacific has far less tourist infrastructure in place. I would imagine the three ports in New Caledonia are Noumea, Lifou and Isle of Pines and that the port in Vanuatu is Vila. Isle of Pines and Lifou are outstanding and largely unspoiled, with fantastic snorkeling. Noumea and Vila are the main commercial centres for their local economies and less appealing. They are also the only docks, the other ports being tenders.

Papua New Guinea (PNG) is much more scenic, but if the South Pacific is lacking in tourist infrastructure, PNG is mostly bereft. But there are emerald green mountains falling into an azure sea, and all that. Volcanoes, tropical islands galore, some of the best scenery in the world. The only problem is that the big towns can be unsafe. Outside of the towns there is no problem at all, lovely people in tropical paradises. The way to avoid problems is to avoid the towns, which are generally depressing in a third world kind of way. Take ships tours which get you away from the town and you will find some of the best snorkeling in the world around Alotau and Rabaul. The islands you are taken to are everything you think an unspoiled tropical island should be, plus you will usually get a sing sing (traditional singing and dancing) put on by the local people.

A lot of people get tired of going to the same ports in the South Pacific every trip, which is where PNG comes in. But since you haven't been to either that doesn't apply.

Wow, you definitely make Papa New Guinea sound more appealing, which is what I saw based on the photos. I was already leaning that way, and you’re pushing me....

If you are coming all that way, you may as well go somewhere a bit different.

Just remember that PNG is a very underdeveloped place and things are not laid on for the tourist like they are in the Caribbean.

The only Princess cruise to PNG I can see in early 2019 is 3rd Feb. Very hot and humid that time of year.

There are also P&O Australia (not P&O UK) cruises to PNG, but they might be tricky to book from overseas.

Edited by SinbadThePorter

We are totally ok with that! We’ve been to French Polynesia twice, and my favorite place there has been Fakarava. If you’ve been there, do you think PNG would be the best for me? Thanks so much for the info!

As both itineraries would be new for you, they are both 'somewhere a bit different'. That is the main attraction for Aussies who have cruised to the South Pacific islands many times and now go to Papua New Guinea. After going to PNG a couple of times, and quite likely won't go back whereas I have cruised to the Pacific Islands literally 30 or so times and will undoubtedly go again.

I suggest the South Pacific option. The scenery is superb and there is great snorkelling in Lifou, and quite good in Noumea and Vila. A major factor is the time of year. It is summer both both regions, but Papua New Guinea is much further north and it will be even hotter and more humid than the Pacific islands and most likely wetter. It is the wet season in the tropics.

We are totally ok with that! We’ve been to French Polynesia twice, and my favorite place there has been Fakarava. If you’ve been there, do you think PNG would be the best for me? Thanks so much for the info!

Never been to Fakarava, but I would love to go.

If you decide on PNG you need to be able to take the heat. I mean industrial strength heat and humidity. Heat that makes Florida feel like Maine.:cool:

PNG is the better destination imo; it's much more interesting and when we went we were treated to topless teen dancing girls (which may or may not appeal, but I enjoyed the show). The scenery is fantastic and the locals super friendly - every single local you walk past will say "hello" with a big genuine smile. The place is lush and green and just like you'd expect a tropical jungle to look like.

New Caledonia is pleasant but nothing special.

I recommend avoiding P&O - it's a bottom-tier cruise line and imo they compromise on everything they can and have far too many up sells.

My recommendation is to take the PNG cruise. generally the people are very friendly and it is a great place. If the cruise is out of Brisbane then Rabaul and the Conflict Islands are probably on the itinerary. great swimming great diving. great artifacts and a great cruise.

I am not that wrapped in Vanuatu as I consider the place has gone down hill in the last few years in the chase for the tourism dollar, Noumea is also a little over rated these days as well. However, I am biased. I grew up in PNG through the 50s, 60's and early 70's and loved it. Recently (2017) I took my family and did the Brisbane PNG cruise and it bought back so many memories. PNG is like anywhere else. If you keep your wits about you it is safe. If you flash cash and expensive items you are asking for trouble. Get some Kina ashore before you go and a quantity of notes, the island people will want to exchange the Aus $2 gold coin that accept from tourists for artworks for Kina. Bargin hard and give a fair deal of coins for notes and the people will love you for it.

Fabulous video lagoon380[emoji106]

Am I correct in thinking at the moment only P&O Aus go to the Conflict Islands though?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Nope, Princess goes there also. Princess is the upmarket P&O and I note that Princess is disassociating itself from P&O these days.

We didn’t bargain in PNG, particularly in the islands such as Kitava and Kiriwana. Compare what you have and what they have. Please take Kina with you, the locals will try and exchange AUD $ that they get for Kina. They rip themselves off particularly the children. If they have AUD on the islands they have to give it to someone who has a boat to take to a larger centre to exchange it. Again they get ripped off.

With PNG think third world, then go down even further. Very poor country and some places are very isolated. Rabaul and Madang and lately Alotau can be unsafe, keep your wits about you.

On the islands my daughter gave a face mask with a broken strap to the children playing in the water, a dad then came to us with a freshly opened coconut. Wow

Nope, Princess goes there also. Princess is the upmarket P&O and I note that Princess is disassociating itself from P&O these days.

I’m aware Princess go to PNG as we went there in September on Golden Princess, meant Conflict Island specifically - do Princess go there, as shown in lagoon380’s video?

We have cruised both Princess and P&O Aus and agree with MicCanberra’s comments about each cruise line - they both offer their own unique experiences, which is great ;)

Edited by Porky55

I’m aware Princess go to PNG as we went there in September on Golden Princess, meant Conflict Island specifically - do Princess go there, as shown in lagoon380’s video?

We have cruised both Princess and P&O Aus and agree with MicCanberra’s comments about each cruise line - they both offer their own unique experiences, which is great ;)

Don't quote me, but I think that the people who run the Conflict Island resort had some sort of exclusive deal with P&O to promote the place which runs out sometime this year. Princess will be stopping at the Conflicts next cruise season.

I think P&O gets a hard deal in comments sometimes, but that said I would only go to PNG with them on Aria or Eden.

Don't quote me, but I think that the people who run the Conflict Island resort had some sort of exclusive deal with P&O to promote the place which runs out sometime this year. Princess will be stopping at the Conflicts next cruise season.

I think P&O gets a hard deal in comments sometimes, but that said I would only go to PNG with them on Aria or Eden.

I thought so, thank-you , I’m not going crazy [emoji12](yet).