vanilla beans in mexico???

jennecks

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't seen any vanilla beans for sale, but I always pick up a few bottles of vanilla extract. Last cruise, I bought 4 16-oz. bottles for myself and to bring back for friends. It's SO good and strong - and of course, you use about half as much as the comm'l type you buy here.

Festivale 1987

Carnivale 1988

Mardi Gras 1989

Pacific Princess 1990

Norway 1994

Holiday 2001

Holiday 2002

Holiday 2003

Make sure it's a reputable brand. Foodie friends got adulterated stuff once.

I stick with Penzey's double strength.

Stella Solaris '80

Carnival Celebration '92

RCCL Majesty of the Seas '01

Coral Princess '04

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Any word on the safety of vanilla extract from Grenada, the "spice island"? I have a big bottle of that in the cupboard. This is a very interestng thread. Thanks for all the time and effort to those who are supplying the information!

It seems that Mexican vanilla is only sold in quart sized containers!! :rolleyes: I only use Madgascar Vanilla....

Today about 70 - 80% of the world's vanilla comes from the islands of Madagascar and R鼯span>union in the Indian Ocean where the plants were first introduced around 1840. The Madagascar or Madagascar-Bourbonvanilla beans are often referred to as "bourbon beans" because the French first planted the vine on the Isle de Bourbon (renamed R鼯span>union). These beans have a smooth, rich, sweet flavor and are the thinnest of the vanilla beans grown.

The Mexican vanilla bean is a thicker and darker bean that has a smooth, strong, rich fragrance and flavor. Some say they are the best. The one problem is that some manufacturers of vanilla products in Mexico add coumarin, which is banned by the FDA because it can cause liver and kidney damage. So make sure you always buy Mexican vanilla products from a reputable supplier

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...

For years I have gone across the border from Texas and purchased La Vencedora vanilla - it has the big red rooster on it. You find it in liquor stores and it comes in a large bottle. This stuff has been the best! Recently, I have seen a slightly smaller version of it at Walmart stores in their hispanic food section. I imagine if Walmart is putting it out on their shelves, it's most likely safe.

Thanks for the info on the vanilla. Last year my brother brought everyone a bottle of Mexican vanilla. I just took a quick glance, but it looks like the bad stuff. I have someone else checking that out because I'm to into cruise stuff right now.

• 3 weeks later...

My bottle of vanilla from mexico say coumarin free on the label. My favorite vanilla is some bottles that I have bought in Barbados.

The only place I've come across vanilla beans for sale was at a market in St. Lucia.

I bought 2 bottles of Vanilla in Cozumel at the Pharmacy. One was clear, the other is regular (brown). The bottles were 1L each (33.8 oz) and cost me $6 each. I compared to prices by me here and I can get about 6-8 oz for that price (and it's Coumarin free).

• 1 month later...
  • 4 years later...

It seems that Mexican vanilla is only sold in quart sized containers!! :rolleyes: I only use Madgascar Vanilla....

Today about 70 - 80% of the world's vanilla comes from the islands of Madagascar and R鼯span>union in the Indian Ocean where the plants were first introduced around 1840. The Madagascar or Madagascar-Bourbonvanilla beans are often referred to as "bourbon beans" because the French first planted the vine on the Isle de Bourbon (renamed R鼯span>union). These beans have a smooth, rich, sweet flavor and are the thinnest of the vanilla beans grown.

The Mexican vanilla bean is a thicker and darker bean that has a smooth, strong, rich fragrance and flavor. Some say they are the best. The one problem is that some manufacturers of vanilla products in Mexico add coumarin, which is banned by the FDA because it can cause liver and kidney damage. So make sure you always buy Mexican vanilla products from a reputable supplier

I have been using Mexican vanilla for 30 years and have no liver or kidney damage. I make sure I read the label. It should say pure vanilla and doesn't contain coumarin. The brand most recommended by our Mexican friends is "Pasa". Once I brought a gallon to a lady in our office and she shared it with everyone. The gallon cost $10 and I bought it in a pharmacy in Los Algodones, Baja, Mexico. I suggest if you are going to buy vanilla either buy it in a pharmacy or a grocery store. Any that you buy in fancy bottles are probably filled from a larger source and given a fancy name. As usual it is buyer beware. Read the label.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived