My favorite cruise breakfast----what's yours?

richard1226

Okay, maybe I am dumb, but what is a lox??? :confused:

Lox is salt cured smoked salmon. It is especially good on a bagel with cream cheese. It is pink in color and some might say it is slimey---please give it a try anyway----it is YUM!

• 3 weeks later...

I never eat breakfast at home but I will one or two days on a cruise. Last fall we tried that special "Verandah Breakfast" on Princess. (It's an extra fee - our TA sent it to us as our gift and it was great.) It is a set menu that is delivered to your cabin and set up on your verandah - table cloth, flowers, and all. I also learned that you can write in whatever you want if you have a special request - I really enjoy the French toast on Princess. You get champagne, juice, a huge assortment of breads/danish, fresh fruit, salmon, quiche - I know I am forgetting things but it's a TON of food. Very nice and quite special. We chose a day at sea and the only complaint I could possibly give would be it was HOT!! The ship just happened to be going in a direction where we were in the direct sun so by the time we were to the main course both of us were HOT and starting to glisten. Then again if that's the most you can complain about at any given moment your life is pretty darn good. :cool:

• 10 months later...

Bangers are English-style sausages, sometimes served with mashed potatoes ("bangers and mash"). 250px-Bangers_and_mash_1.jpg

They had them a couple of times on Coral Princess on our last cruise. They also had chorizo, regular link pork sausage and turkey link sausage.

Lox? Love it! I had some on Coral that was buttery-tender, Nova-style lox (as opposed to "belly lox", which is very much saltier).

I went to the dining room on our first day out to have the eggs benedict and experienced the same problem Carolyn mentioned: cold hollandaise. After that we went to the buffet. My favorite item there is pain au chocolat (croissant dough baked around chocolate). Mmmm! The bacon was particularly good this time out so I'm afraid I indulged in that quite a bit.

Bangers are English-style sausages, sometimes served with mashed potatoes ("bangers and mash"). 250px-Bangers_and_mash_1.jpg

They had them a couple of times on Coral Princess on our last cruise. They also had chorizo, regular link pork sausage and turkey link sausage.

Lox? Love it! I had some on Coral that was buttery-tender, Nova-style lox (as opposed to "belly lox", which is very much saltier).

I went to the dining room on our first day out to have the eggs benedict and experienced the same problem Carolyn mentioned: cold hollandaise. After that we went to the buffet. My favorite item there is pain au chocolat (croissant dough baked around chocolate). Mmmm! The bacon was particularly good this time out so I'm afraid I indulged in that quite a bit.

Thank you, I love sausages (except chorizo) and will definitely have to give these a try

Eggs Benedict is also my favorite.

We had something very special on the Pride of Hawai'i. Now not everyone will be able to use Cagney's steak restaurant for breakfast, you have to be staying in a fancier cabin, but the Eggs Benedict on Crab Cake is unique. Never had it anywhere else.

(Of course, if you can make friends with someone in one of those fancier cabins, they should be able to get you into Cagney's for breakfast.)

I love food in general, but I especially like a good breakfast. Weekdays I usually do quick, healthy foods: multigrain toast and a grapefruit, shredded wheat cereal, or hot cereals in winter; weekends I occasionally treat myself with homemade multigrain waffles or (rarely) bacon and some type of egg.

So, on a cruise, I let myself live a little and enjoy the buffet. I had various combos, but my staple was always grapefruit or pineapple, a fat-free yoghurt, oj, and either a donut or small pastry (I love those), with a wee bit of eggs, a slice or two of bacon, and maybe a hash brown. I tried grits again on my last cruise (my first experience with grits was very disappointing, as the chef made them with way too much salt) and enjoyed them. I'd love to try lox on my next cruise, if they have it!

I'm salivating just thinking of the breakfasts I can get in 15 days!!!

I tried grits again on my last cruise (my first experience with grits was very disappointing, as the chef made them with way too much salt) and enjoyed them.

Good grits are an art. And I am throughly convinced that it takes a true Southern Granny to make really good grits. :p

All this talk about bagels and cream cheese made me hungry tonight, (I mean this morning, it's 1:30)! So I go downstairs, get the bagels, cream cheese and grape jelly out of the fridge......:eek: ....oh no, a little green fuzz on the cream cheese! No problemo, scraped it off, and went to the other side of the container for my cream cheese.......yums! (now I can get to sleep:rolleyes: )

• 2 months later...

Are these bangers Kosher?:rolleyes: All I know is that's it is 10:07pm and I would really like a bagel/lox/cream cheese & a slice of tomato. Lox is now about $12.00lb. How much is it up in Pauwakee ?

I have 2 food rules on a cruise:

1. try at least one new thing at every meal

2. have something different every day

I almost always eat breakfast and dinner in the dining room; lunch is in port or at one of the alternatives on the ship.

I rarely eat a fancy breakfast at home, so on a cruise I treat myself.

Eggs Benedict, hashbrown casserole, fresh pineapple and strawberries, cortadito, and mimosas!

I wld really appreciate knowing exactly what ingredients go into a 'mimosa' and what other foods can u or should u drink them with?

Plus, what is a 'cortadito' - sounds exotic and likely 'yummy'?

Thankyou so much..