12 suitcases and more....!?

AmandaLMcL

1 hour ago, Wendy The Wanderer said:

We do too on Regent.  But I presume you'll still have to pay for meds prescribed?

Nope....all meds, both prescription or over the counter, are free. Connie got 2 meds from the ship doc (1 Rx and 1 OTC) at no charge. They also send you a report of your visit.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tampa Girl said:

We were on the 2018 Grand Asia & Pacific.  Had a wonderful trip!  We upgraded to an NS, however, after a week n board.  That was DH's idea, but I would have been content in the balcony cabin for the 89-day voyage.  

I found the following items to be indispensible:  1.  Hanging shoe bag, which I folded over in order to fit it on the narrow closet doors. 

2.  A hanging shower bag for shampoo, conditioner, body wash, etc.  This was necessary in our NS cabin because it had only a shower with just a tiny little corner rack.  If the cabin has a tub with corners on which to place things, no problem, although the hanging bag was more convenient. 

3.  Small folding boxes to put excess meds and toiletries; sundry papers, etc.  The box with the meds went on the shelf under the bathroom sink. I following The Inside Cabin's suggestion and got a pack of iKEA'S six (3 different sizes) for various items.  I had also brought some $General folding boxes, but I found that the $6.99 IKEA's boxes was sufficient and better made.  Once you unfold them, the bottoms zip up, so they are better made than the $General's.  Those came home with us and are stored in the outside zipper pockets of the luggage, for future use.

4.  Wooden clothes pins to clip the hand washables to the retracting clothes line in the shower.  I also brought a package of dry soap flakes with which to wash items.  I poured these flakes into a large empty vitamin bottle, making it easier and neater to transport and to pour into the sink.  I don't remember the name of the flakes, but I bought them at Walmart for $2.99.  They did the job.

5.  Some sort of night light for the bathroom.  I did not like the push-button, battery operate light that we brought because the batteries wore down too fast.  However, I also had a cheap, decorative plastic thing ($Tree) in which I placed a $1 battery operated tea light.  That worked better, both for the bathroom and for a balcony dinner.  The next time I will bring several of the little tea lights.

That's all I can think of for the moment, but I intend to bring all of the above on our next long cruise.  Hope this helps.

The shoe bag is great and needed since I'm a shoe-aholic.  

I was going to bring a shower caddy but after seeing a picture of the shower head, I knew it wouldn't fit. Our shower shelf is big enough for our stuff.

I brought too many foldable boxes...I only needed one small one because we have plenty of storage space. 

I did bring clothes pins and they're great for hanging up the bathing suits. 

This ship has recently been refurbished and the bathroom has its own blue nightlight! Love it.

10 hours ago, Go-Bucks! said:

I brought alot of OTC stuff like cold meds, cough syrup, hydrocortisone cream, triple ATB cream, immodium, colace, Benadryl, first aid stuff, vitamins, and Rx meds.  Didn't think to ask for Tamiflu, although they're now using a newer antiviral for flu.  I usually take along my own stash of Zithromax but didn't get it this time.  Hopefully, if I get some type of URI, the ship doctor will have it.  We get free medical care on this ship for the entire cruise.

As far as immunizations, I already had my flu shot this season, am current on Tdap and already had the shingles vaccine.  I did get the Prevanar 13, took the typhoid capsules, and got the accelerated series of Hep A & Hep B combo (Twinrix).  I called a travel clinic but they were WAY too expensive and they wouldn't accept insurance so I just went to the Minute Clinic at my local CVS pharmacy and saw the NP.  She and I discussed my itinerary and she recommended the vaccines.  I do wish I had gotten a polio booster despite her not thinking I needed it.  My health insurance covered her visit and all the immunizations I received! 

I have had good luck with SeaBands for years, but one day last year on a rough ride to Cuba I was seasick even with the bands.  I've always had the cheap stretchy ones from Walmart but this time I brought them but also got a plastic pair that you can tighten the "button" to give more pressure.  Luckily I haven't needed to try them so far on this trip!

Glad you're following the Oceania world cruise thread!  We're having a blast and making wonderful memories.  When I retired 6 weeks ago, I was so happy to chuck the scrubs!!  I've loved my nursing career (I'm still an adjunct nursing instructor at a local college) but it was time to stop hoofing it around a huge unit 12 hrs a day!  Gotta leave that to the younger girls now.  I worked Labor & Delivery for most of my years, but also a little Mother/Infant, maternity case mgmt from home, and a very short stint in hospice (was definitely NOT my calling).  Teaching is so easy and I can do as much or as little as I like, so I plan to do that for awhile after I get back home in July.

DW is also a retired RN (ER/Trauma) and for a WC she almost 1/2 fills a suitcase with 1st aid kit, OTC meds & selection of Rx meds.

While in many countries you can get Rx meds without prescription, we topped up in Dubai. Our son lived there during our last visit, so took us out for lunch and stopped at a Chemists. DW chatted with the Pharmacist, comparing Canadian/US/UK drug names and refilled our supply of meds. She was very comfortable the medications were genuine and the Pharmacist was most knowledgeable.

Might be worth checking it out when you stop in Dubai.

22 hours ago, Go-Bucks! said:

Nope....all meds, both prescription or over the counter, are free. Connie got 2 meds from the ship doc (1 Rx and 1 OTC) at no charge. They also send you a report of your visit.

That's good to know.  It might influence the number of OTC medications I bring with us.

21 hours ago, Heidi13 said:

While in many countries you can get Rx meds without prescription, we topped up in Dubai. .... DW chatted with the Pharmacist, comparing Canadian/US/UK drug names and refilled our supply of meds. She was very comfortable the medications were genuine and the Pharmacist was most knowledgeable.

Might be worth checking it out when you stop in Dubai.

That's also good to know.  Of course after Dubai we will end up in Israel and then the Med, both places I would imagine you could get reliable prescriptions filled, but this is a good tip.

• 1 month later...
On 1/20/2018 at 11:13 AM, h2so4 said:

We were in a regular veranda cabin ... quite small actually as we were on a former R ship. We had 8 bags for 180 days ... but considerable amount of space in those bags was taken up by plastic drawers and folding cubes to organize ourselves, consumables such as toiletries and meds, etc. The plastic drawers were donated to the crew at the end of the cruise and we returned with 6 bags ... could have been 5 except we decided to spread things out so the bags would be well under the luggage restrictions for airlines. With what we brought we managed to use every nook and cranny effectively ... kept the really heavy cold weather and our raingear in a suitcase under the bed and pulled them out when needed. Excess toiletries were also in a bag under the bed.

Here’s a post I did with pictures of how we used the available space effectively: http://2totravelrtw180.blogspot.com/2017/02/day-27-crossing-south-pacific.html.

Should we do another long-term cruise, I wouldn’t take the multi-hanger things ... everything else proved very useful.

Was your blog timed? When I click on your link, I get a message that the page doesn't exist.  

I'm doing a 28-day cruise in 2020 & would like to see your ideas.

Thanks!

6 minutes ago, DRS/NC said:

Was your blog timed? When I click on your link, I get a message that the page doesn't exist.  

I'm doing a 28-day cruise in 2020 & would like to see your ideas.

Thanks!

Not sure why the link is not working ... the blog is not timed.  In any event, here's the link again.  I will say that with few exceptions (magnetic hooks and the over-the-door shoe bag that we used for miscellaneous items) the ideas are probably overkill for a 28-day cruise.  But you can read and judge for yourself.

http://2totravelrtw180.blogspot.com/2017/02/day-27-crossing-south-pacific.html

• Like 1

On 2/5/2019 at 5:01 PM, JBL919 said:

How many cocktail dresses for women  (men: suits etc)  for the 3 months?  

As a male, for my world cruise on the Amsterdam, I took my regular tux which is a quality garment.  As a back-up, I bought a tux from JCP just in case something happened to Tux #1.  I had Tux #1 dry cleaned on the ship when it needed it, had my formal shirt laundered as needed, and never wore Tux #2.  I had 4 colors/patterns of vests/cummerbunds with matching bow ties.  That provided ample variety for me.  A Navy Blue Blazer and one additional sport coat with appropriate slacks rounded out my dressy attire for the cruise.  I came home knowing that I had too many clothes. 

On 3/30/2019 at 6:41 PM, h2so4 said:

Not sure why the link is not working ... the blog is not timed.  In any event, here's the link again.  I will say that with few exceptions (magnetic hooks and the over-the-door shoe bag that we used for miscellaneous items) the ideas are probably overkill for a 28-day cruise.  But you can read and judge for yourself.

http://2totravelrtw180.blogspot.com/2017/02/day-27-crossing-south-pacific.html

Great stuff, just read your page on cabin organization.  I must say you nailed it!  But how did you know exactly what to bring?  Had you been in standard R-ship Oceania cabins before?  I would be hard-pressed to do the same for SS Mariner since I've never been in their standard cabin before.  I've been in standard Regent cabins lots of times, so I can make guesses, but these would be imprecise.  I will definitely stock up at the dollar store for collapsible cloth baskets, and will consider taking my own hangers--as much as I like those wooden hangers, they are a pain in the neck, storage-wise.

BTW, I had to laugh at the shoes.  My husband, no doubt, will have at most four pairs of shoes, probably less.  I will have several pairs of dressy sandals, several casual sandals and flip flops, walking shoes and probably runners, and that's it, so maybe seven or eight in total.

I also, btw, use that tie storage thingy for my wraps and scarves, since my husband refuses ever to wear a tie.

Great stuff, just read your page on cabin organization.  I must say you nailed it!  But how did you know exactly what to bring?  Had you been in standard R-ship Oceania cabins before?

We did a Med cruise on the Nautica in the twin of the cabin we booked for the RTW.  That experience along with photos and some measurements helped us to figure out what we needed.  We don't take nearly as much when we are on shorter trips -- though short for us is 4-5 months of different cruises/land trips strung together.  But for the RTW, with the 100 lbs each shipped by O, I decided I wasn't going to worry about what I packed this time.

• Like 2

On 4/1/2019 at 7:47 AM, Wendy The Wanderer said:

BTW, I had to laugh at the shoes.  My husband, no doubt, will have at most four pairs of shoes, probably less.  I will have several pairs of dressy sandals, several casual sandals and flip flops, walking shoes and probably runners, and that's it, so maybe seven or eight in total.

I'm similar, only 3 pairs of shoes required - black, walking shoes & sandals.😊

1 minute ago, Wendy The Wanderer said:

One of my efforts will be to convince him that he needs walking shoes separate from the ones he wears to dinner onboard, lol!

I spent way too many years in black shoes at work, so in retirement, I only wear them when out for dinner or functions.😊

• Like 1

On 4/2/2019 at 12:47 PM, Heidi13 said:

I'm similar, only 3 pairs of shoes required - black, walking shoes & sandals.😊

Wow, not me! I'm a shoe gal...Plus, I'm on here for 6 months...could never stand just 3 pair for that long! Not only did I bring a bunch,  but I bought more (mostly sandals). Oceania ships 2 suitcases for us, then they fly us first class so we get 2 more free suitcases.  I have plenty of luggage space...I only filled 2 of them halfway and I'm using up lots of stuff. 

Edited by Go-Bucks!

1 hour ago, Go-Bucks! said:

Wow, not me! I'm a shoe gal...Plus, I'm on here for 6 months...could never stand just 3 pair for that long! Not only did I bring a bunch,  but I bought more (mostly sandals). Oceania ships 2 suitcases for us, then they fly us first class so we get 2 more free suitcases.  I have plenty of luggage space...I only filled 2 of them halfway and I'm using up lots of stuff. 

But Heidi's actually a guy, see!  I believe it's Andy who does the posting.

I'm a sandal person--I hate shoes, so will only have a pair or two of those, but I normally live in my Tevas.

BTW, I saw pics somewhere of foldable hanging shelves.  You can see them on Amazon if you search.  I realize I already have a small one of these in my closet nominally full of shoes.  The way I saw it used was to pack it full in your suitcase, then just take it out and hang it up--not sure how practical that would be.  

But Heidi's actually a guy, see!  I believe it's Andy who does the posting.

I'm a sandal person--I hate shoes, so will only have a pair or two of those, but I normally live in my Tevas.

BTW, I saw pics somewhere of foldable hanging shelves.  You can see them on Amazon if you search.  I realize I already have a small one of these in my closet nominally full of shoes.  The way I saw it used was to pack it full in your suitcase, then just take it out and hang it up--not sure how practical that would be.  

We share it, but most of the time it is me.

If truth be known, by the time DW packs her shoes, I only have space for a few pairs.😀

• Haha 2

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/20/2018 at 6:57 AM, AmandaLMcL said:

I read on many posts of people taking 6, 8, 10 or more suitcases for a world cruise. Are their cabins like some sort of Tardis that I have yet to discover, (are they suite occupiers) or do they have a special secret that they can share as to how /where they put everything when its unpacked?!

I don't own enough to fill up 6 suitcases!

• Like 3

23 hours ago, Ombud said:

I don't own enough to fill up 6 suitcases!

Me neither.  But realistically you need to think out what you take on such a long cruise.  Ours will be 4 months, and I expect we'll have a couple of big suitcases (25"), and a couple of roll-aboards.  So I definitely want a few more outfits than a normal cruise, plus just normal excursion clothes for hot, sweaty environments. But then I can't really think seriously about it yet, since it's more than 18 months out.  There will be things I wouldn't normally take--a larger pharmacopeia of OTC remedies, cabin-enhancements like a bluetooth speaker, shoeholder, some folding cloth baskets, that sort of thing.  Laptops. Then there's the supply of consumables that we'll carry on in shopping bags--toothpaste, mouthwash, cough medicine, shaving cream, that sort of thing.

And I will have to buy a new 25" suitcase, since I only have one.  We often travel with just the rollaboards, carry-on only.  But don't feel the need to do that for the WC.

Edited by Wendy The Wanderer

I can understand a carryon for toiletries + 25" for clothes (which would be most of my clothes) but that's 2pp. Enjoy your cruise! 4months would be way to expensive for a solo IMHO

Besides the closets aren't that large & where would you store 12 suitcases!!

4 hours ago, Ombud said:

where would you store 12 suitcases!!

On the Amsterdam, the Room Stewards collected whatever pieces of luggage that could not be stored within the stateroom.  These were taken to Club HAL and stored within that room for the duration of the cruise.  While there were a few children aboard during my world cruise, Club HAL actual  facilities were not needed.  (Club HAL was packed with luggage:  floor to ceiling and wall to wall!)

6 hours ago, Ombud said:

I can understand a carryon for toiletries + 25" for clothes (which would be most of my clothes) but that's 2pp. Enjoy your cruise! 4months would be way to expensive for a solo IMHO

Besides the closets aren't that large & where would you store 12 suitcases!!

I so agree.  No silly formal nights for us, and really, people don't care what you wear.  I'm over the whole 'cruisewear' thing.

When we did the 2018 Princess World Cruise, I was surprised that we had to keep our empty luggage in our stateroom. On all our previous cruises, our empty suitcases disappeared after we unloaded them and miraculously reappeared the day before disembarkation. Fortunately, the DH managed to cram them all under the bed, but that could've been a serious problem.

We're booked on the Queen Mary 2 this summer and the Queen Victoria in 2021. Anyone know how Cunard deals with empty luggage? 

59 minutes ago, Aquadesiac said:

When we did the 2018 Princess World Cruise, I was surprised that we had to keep our empty luggage in our stateroom. On all our previous cruises, our empty suitcases disappeared after we unloaded them and miraculously reappeared the day before disembarkation. Fortunately, the DH managed to cram them all under the bed, but that could've been a serious problem.

We're booked on the Queen Mary 2 this summer and the Queen Victoria in 2021. Anyone know how Cunard deals with empty luggage? 

Suggest you may get more answers on the Cunard Boards

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/32-cunard-line/