12 suitcases and more....!?

AmandaLMcL

On 6/11/2019 at 2:38 PM, Wendy The Wanderer said:

And remember, you won't need nearly as much as you think you will

This is the best advice of all!!!!!!  On my world cruise, I did have free luggage shipping to and from Fort Lauderdale and it was a blessing to have that.  Not having to deal with additional pieces of luggage as well as a box that I sent that contained personally preferred toiletry products and over the counter medicine products was a helpful start to my cruise.

11 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

This is the best advice of all!!!!!!  On my world cruise, I did have free luggage shipping to and from Fort Lauderdale and it was a blessing to have that.  Not having to deal with additional pieces of luggage as well as a box that I sent that contained personally preferred toiletry products and over the counter medicine products was a helpful start to my cruise.

Nice, if Luggage Free or whatever the company they use will accept that kind of stuff--I've heard they only allow clothing.  But it doesn't matter, we'll probably be driving to Miami from our winter home in Florida, so we'll have lots of space for our trips to Walgreens in aadvance.  I'm making a list of toiletries and OTC's.

1 minute ago, Wendy The Wanderer said:

Nice, if Luggage Free or whatever the company they use will accept that kind of stuff--I've heard they only allow clothing.  But it doesn't matter, we'll probably be driving to Miami from our winter home in Florida, so we'll have lots of space for our trips to Walgreens in aadvance.  I'm making a list of toiletries and OTC's.

I don't recall the company that HAL initially used.  The arrangements for the pick-up and delivery to the ship went well.  Something happened to the company during my cruise and a different firm was used to return what I had shipped at disembarkation.  DHL was the delivery company to my home.

I chose to box/send the toiletries that I prefer simply to avoid having to spend time in ports attempting to find suitable replacements when needed.  Times ashore are already short; why waste time looking for a drug store to buy more deodorant?

3 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

I chose to box/send the toiletries that I prefer simply to avoid having to spend time in ports attempting to find suitable replacements when needed.  Times ashore are already short; why waste time looking for a drug store to buy more deodorant?

Oh I totally agree.  We'll probably have several large shopping bags of stuff when we embark.  I'm also keeping rough track of how long things last, like toothpaste, mouthwash, that sort of thing.  And my stock of remedies will probably be quite extensive too.

Liquids were on the 'forbidden' list for us.

We found Australia and Singapore to be good places to restock on toiletries, mosquito spray and sun screen.

Singapore: Drugstore inside the terminal building. Bought soft tissues and tiger balm.

Australia: Cairns and Darwin have Woolworth grocery stores in walking distance to the terminal. The one in Cairns is closer and better stocked with sundries. In Sydney, Manly has stores with all kinds of sunscreens on the Corso between the ferry and beach.

Japan: Convenience stores have tissues.

I am sure here are many other places for restocking all sorts of items.  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/30/2019 at 11:56 AM, Ombud said:

where would you store 12 suitcases!!

I can fit 12 empty suitcases in the same space as one full one.....as long as 11 of them are duffle bags.  

I would never take 12.  (I don’t own enough clothes)

Most luggage sets nest like Russian dolls.  Then add duffel bags.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

54 minutes ago, ed01106 said:

I can fit 12 empty suitcases in the same space as one full one.....as long as 11 of them are duffle bags.  

I would never take 12.  (I don’t own enough clothes)

Most luggage sets nest like Russian dolls.  Then add duffel bags.  

Good point about duffle bags.  And yes, we nest our suitcases, often three-deep.

On 6/23/2019 at 7:46 AM, Wendy The Wanderer said:

Good point about duffle bags.  And yes, we nest our suitcases, often three-deep.

Our ship stores our suitcases for us. I took 4 suitcases then stored 3 of them and put 1 open one under my bed. 

Won't other cruiselines store extra suitcases?

We've been on Holland American, Princess, Norwegian, Carnival, Costa, and a couple of now defunct smaller lines and they have always stored our suitcases for us. However, the notable exception was the Pacific Princess when we did our 2018 WC. Evidently, they didn't have a storage space for luggage and we had to fit everything under the bed.

6 hours ago, Go-Bucks! said:

Our ship stores our suitcases for us. I took 4 suitcases then stored 3 of them and put 1 open one under my bed. 

Oh, I think so, yes.  We've just never had to, they've always fit under the bed.  But a WC would be an exception, and I'm sure Regent would take care of it.

On 6/25/2019 at 1:34 AM, Go-Bucks! said:

This was common on the old liners, especially for the First Class passengers, as the ships had a number of cargo holds for storage. Have also seen some pax arriving with huge shipping crates.

The newer ships normally don't advertise storing cases, but I would hope on most ships, if you ask the Cabin Steward, they will find somewhere to store them.

On 6/25/2019 at 6:09 AM, Aquadesiac said:

However, the notable exception was the Pacific Princess when we did our 2018 WC. Evidently, they didn't have a storage space for luggage and we had to fit everything under the bed.

How interesting...the ship I'm on is identical to the Pacific Princess and they're storing luggage for at least half of our passengers (330 are doing the whole world cruise).

When I sailed previously on this same ship, the Oceania Insignia, for just 1 week to Cuba, they also stored any luggage that we requested in order to give each room as much storage space as possible. 

• 2 weeks later...

We are taking a ww cruise Venice to Venice next year. It's Costa and they have already told us that they don't organize a Luggage shipping service for US passengers.  So I started researching it myself and the price is crazy to ship two large suitcases from South Carolina to Venice.  Hundreds of $$$$$.  Each of us will have our 22" suitcases that we have used for trips up to 6 weeks and a carry-on.  Then we'll each have another large suitcase.  That should do it.

We already booked a good airfare from Savannah to Venice.  So really, all we have to arrange is to and from Savannah and then  to and from the Venice airport to a local hotel and then to the ship.  And then back to Venice airport.  I figure it will be much cheaper and less worrysome to just pay porters $15 for each segment than to ship the luggage.  And I know where it's at all the time.

I won't worry too much about toothpaste, shampoo, mouthwash etc. Just medications and other items we have a real person liking for. Can't wait!!

1 hour ago, LynnTTT said:

We are taking a ww cruise Venice to Venice next year. It's Costa and they have already told us that they don't organize a Luggage shipping service for US passengers.  So I started researching it myself and the price is crazy to ship two large suitcases from South Carolina to Venice.  Hundreds of $$$$$.  Each of us will have our 22" suitcases that we have used for trips up to 6 weeks and a carry-on.  Then we'll each have another large suitcase.  That should do it.

We already booked a good airfare from Savannah to Venice.  So really, all we have to arrange is to and from Savannah and then  to and from the Venice airport to a local hotel and then to the ship.  And then back to Venice airport.  I figure it will be much cheaper and less worrysome to just pay porters $15 for each segment than to ship the luggage.  And I know where it's at all the time.

I won't worry too much about toothpaste, shampoo, mouthwash etc. Just medications and other items we have a real person liking for. Can't wait!!

Do you need more clothing for a 16 week trip than a 6 week trip?  Either way you are doing laundry on board and rotating you outfits.  Do the same rotation you do for a 6 week cruise just do it more times.  Yeah, it does mean more medication but that isn’t two suitcases, and you said you are okay with getting mouthwash etc. locally.  

I take two bathing suits on a four day or two week cruise, if I took a four month cruise it would still be two.  One to wear while the other one dries.  And if one gets ripped and I need to buy one on the trip, even at the overpriced on board store that is still a lot less than the cost of checking a second bag, porter tips, etc.

If you can do a 6 week trip on one suitcase and one carry on, you are skilled enough at packing light to pull off 16 weeks or indefinitely on the same.

Edited by ed01106
  • Like 1

When I take a 6 week trip we are jumping around every few days, lugging bags up and down Airbnb's, strange airports, getting on trains etc so we try to keep luggage down to what we can handle ourselves.

But this trip will be different- get on board the cruise ship and dont get off for months!!.  And this trip will have winter, tropics, and unknown inbetweens so we want to be prepared.  And more paper work and want some empty space for the inevitable souvenirs.

For a change I want a choice of more than three tops, three pants and two jacket, all in tan, brown, grey or black!

• Like 3

16 hours ago, LynnTTT said:

For a change I want a choice of more than three tops, three pants and two jacket, all in tan, brown, grey or black

I'm with you. Our WC will be 4 months, mostly hot climate with some spring-like areas. I don't want to get bored with my clothes.  I also expect to throw some things out after sweating in the tropics.

5 hours ago, Wendy The Wanderer said:

I'm with you. Our WC will be 4 months, mostly hot climate with some spring-like areas. I don't want to get bored with my clothes. 

We also had mostly hot, a good bit of warm...but a surprising amount of chilly weather!

We knew early spring in Japan and China would be cool, but were not expecting France, the British Isles and Canada to be so cool at this time of year.  I didn't take many clothes for cool weather so had to wear the same few things over and over (luckily we were in a new port each day so no one knew!).  😉

Edited by Go-Bucks!

On our 82 day cruise, quite a few passengers were leaving the ship during the cruise due to health problems. We started out with 2 medical evacuations in the very first port.  If you have 12 suitcases that need to go ashore, your spouse will not be happy with the extra load in the hotel room while you are in a  foreign hospital. But maybe the suitcases stay on the ship and the crew sends them to your home at the end of the cruise.

Good point, Floridiana. But I wonder if in the case of a medical evacuation, it might be sensible to rely on taking the essentials off in carry-ons and the rest of the luggage being shipped home. Still, it's another good reason to pack as lightly as possible. I've been lobbying for one large suitcase for the DH & I together for our upcoming 21 days on the QM2. I think we could do it, but our combined shoes would probably send us over the weight limit. 

• Like 1

Ok, just finished most of my packing and am very happy!!  Although I'm staying on the ship for the next 2 cruises after this world cruise is finished (I'll go home 7/28 instead of 7/11), I was able to pack up 3 of my large suitcases with stuff I won't need on the next 2 short cruises.  When I started the world  cruise I brought 2 full suitcases, 2 half full suitcases, 1 22" carry on and a small carry on that fits under the plane seat. I've purchased many souvenirs and clothes during the past 6 months, but have used up and worn out out other things. 

Today I filled up 3 suitcases that will be put back into storage until I go home.  I will easily be able to get the rest of my clothes and stuff into the remaining 1 large suitcase and 2 carry ons. Not bad for a 6 month stay!

3 minutes ago, Go-Bucks! said:

Ok, just finished most of my packing and am very happy!!  Although I'm staying on the ship for the next 2 cruises after this world cruise is finished (I'll go home 7/28 instead of 7/11), I was able to pack up 3 of my large suitcases with stuff I won't need on the next 2 short cruises.  When I started the world  cruise I brought 2 full suitcases, 2 half full suitcases, 1 22" carry on and a small carry on that fits under the plane seat. I've purchased many souvenirs and clothes during the past 6 months, but have used up and worn out out other things. 

Today I filled up 3 suitcases that will be put back into storage until I go home.  I will easily be able to get the rest of my clothes and stuff into the remaining 1 large suitcase and 2 carry ons. Not bad for a 6 month stay!

Why the two half full suitcases? I get needing space for souvenirs, but why not just leave  one of the suitcases home and pack a duffel bag that can pack flat in one of your bags for the anticipated expansion. Even if the souvenirs are too fragile for the duffel just use it for laundry.

• Like 1