Any NEWS on VV? Please post it here...

wwcruisers

Looked but hadn't seen what VV actually did about the cancellation of Cuba as a port.  Did they return the deposits?  Allow any sort of OBC?  Anything at all?

I'm asking because I'm mildly interested in sailing them sometime.  How they handle this sort of hiccup will tell me a lot about them as a cruise company.

Thx!

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

Looked but hadn't seen what VV actually did about the cancellation of Cuba as a port.  Did they return the deposits?  Allow any sort of OBC?  Anything at all?

I'm asking because I'm mildly interested in sailing them sometime.  How they handle this sort of hiccup will tell me a lot about them as a cruise company.

Thx!

People have been able to get full refunds. Those of us who stayed book saw our prices get retroactively lowered. 

Somewhat related......

http://www.seatrade-cruise.com/news/news-headlines/virgin-trains-breaks-ground-on-orlando-track-expansion.html

Virgin Trains, formerly Brightline, broke ground Monday to expand passenger rail service to Orlando in a $4bn effort, the nation’s largest privately funded infrastructure project.

This will serve to transport travelers — including cruisers — between Orlando International Airport and South Florida. Currently Virgin Trains operates between Miami and West Palm Beach with a stop in Fort Lauderdale.

'Connecting Orlando and Miami, two of our nation’s greatest cities, will provide tremendous economic and environmental benefits that will be an asset to Florida for generations,' Virgin Trains President Patrick Goddard said at a commemorative ceremony.

Cruise ties

Goddard noted the service will 'effortlessly connect the "Tourism Capital of the World" to the "Cruise Capital of the World."'

Virgin Trains' Virgin MiamiCentral hub is located near PortMiami, and the Miami-Dade County Commission is deliberating the feasibility of a station directly at PortMiami.

MSC Cruises is the official cruise line partner of Virgin Trains but passengers sailing from South Florida ports with any line can take advantage of 'Train to Port' packages.

'Red spike era'

It has been 150 years since the ‘golden spike’ ceremony in 1869 that marked the joining of the Central Pacific Railroad from the West with the Union Pacific Railroad in the East and the completion of the United States’ first trans-continental, coast-to-coast railroad line.

Monday, Virgin Trains announced the start of the ‘red spike era’ and the company’s commitment to reinventing passenger rail service in America by providing fast, efficient, hospitality-driven transportation that connects dynamic, complementary cities and congested corridors that are 'too close to fly and too long to drive.'

Virgin Trains is developing 170 miles of new track into the intermodal facility located in the new South Terminal at Orlando International Airport as part of the company’s Phase 2 expansion into Central Florida.

The massive infrastructure project encompasses four zones including the area of the Orlando International Airport and the Virgin Trains Maintenance Facility. This monumental endeavor, which will use 225m pounds of American steel, will include laying 490,000 ties and transporting 2.35m tons of granite and limestone by 20,000 railcars. Additionally, approximately 2m spikes and bolts will be hammered and put in place over the next 36 months.

Virgin Trains’ strategic expansion into Orlando, the nation’s most visited city, comes as travel to the Sunshine State is at an all-time high. Orlando International Airport welcomed a record 47m passengers last year and more than 126m out-of-state visitors traveled to Florida in 2018, according to Visit Florida.

Orlando service to start 2022

With service to Orlando expected to begin in 2022, Virgin Trains projects over 6m annual riders in Florida and $6.4bn in direct economic impact to the state.

14 hours ago, Biker19 said:

Time will tell if this works down here. This not an urban area where a train/subway makes sense.   If people who live here can drive cheaper that is what they will do.  Currently they haven't come anywhere close to what they forecasted so this is hardly a slam dunk.   They are offering all kinds of discounts and promos to try to build it up between West Palm and Lauderdale and Miami.

5 hours ago, Nymich said:

If people who live here can drive cheaper that is what they will do.  

The big ticket item in that equation is the parking at POM - at $22/day, even on a 5 day sailing, a train fare in the $60pp range or less (assuming a couple traveling) starts to make sense. 

I think Biker19 makes an excellent point. I was excited about the idea of taking a train to either Ft lauderdale or Miami but started to question this option as I am about 1.5 hour drive north west of Orlando. I can drive to Port Everglades in about 4.5 hours driving the speed limit.....which means 3 hours fromOrlando.

exactly how long will the train take? If it’s much longer than 2 hours, it’s quicker to drive, adding in parking in Orlando and then there is the departure lead time.On the return if the train departs around noon, I can already be home by noon if I take the early disembarkation walk off option.

So transit time via train is my question.

17 hours ago, Nymich said:

Time will tell if this works down here. This not an urban area where a train/subway makes sense.   If people who live here can drive cheaper that is what they will do.  Currently they haven't come anywhere close to what they forecasted so this is hardly a slam dunk.   They are offering all kinds of discounts and promos to try to build it up between West Palm and Lauderdale and Miami.

I don't even care if its more expensive, if I can take the train from Tampa to Miami instead of making that drive I'll do it in a heartbeat

4 hours ago, hotsauce126 said:

I don't even care if its more expensive, if I can take the train from Tampa to Miami instead of making that drive I'll do it in a heartbeat

These are all valid points for cruisers.   Unfortunately cruisers will make up only a small part of what this is going to need to survive.   

I hope it makes it.   Time will tell.

16 hours ago, hotsauce126 said:

I agree.  As long as it's clean and comfortable and I can avoid traffic and possible road closures, I'll be on it.

https://www.virginvoyages.com/ahoy/stories/talking-ship-Ginger-Minj

I'm not quite sure what the partnership is here, if they're only talking about a Pride event, or if Ginger will be the main 'drag brunch' MC on Scarlet Lady. Either way, I've seen Ginger perform live and she is incredibly talented.

Edited by perditax
  • Like 1

Has anyone had any luck getting a refund when cancelling a cruise to Cuba on VV?  I called about 3 weeks ago and asked for a refund and was told I would get it within 10 business days.  They refunded $70 of the $570 deposit almost immediately but not the remaining $500.  So, I called last Monday and was told I would have it by Friday, June 28th, but today is Tuesday, July 2nd, and still no refund.

When I booked the cruise they were able to take my deposit the same day but they don't seem interested in making a refund with the same speed. 

• 3 weeks later...

The Virgin Voyages beach club, set to open in April 2020, offers every vacation essential: white sand beaches, crystal clear waters, a massive swimming pool and plenty of Instagram-worthy hangouts.

Virgin Voyages
View photos

True to the adults-only theme, afternoons at Bimini will be filled with DJ-led pool parties and “programming that will rival the best beach clubs in Ibiza and Saint-Tropez,” according to a press release.

Still, the Virgin Voyages brand also values health, wellness and relaxation — guests can enjoy yoga sessions, thoughtfully sourced food and relaxing acoustic music performances at the beach bonfires every night in Bimini.

Earlier this month, Branson (who earned his fortune by founding a record label, airline and other businesses under the “Virgin” name) opened up to PEOPLE about his latest business venture.

Virgin Voyages
View photos

“I’ve never been on a cruise, I’ve wanted to go on a cruise,” the 68-year-old billionaire told PEOPLE. “That’s why we started a cruise line, just to try to create a cruise ship that was fun, and that was for adults.”

Virgin Voyages’ debut ship, Scarlet Lady, will offer four– and five-night sailings in the Caribbean open to guests who are 18 and over. It will boast various adult-focused amenities, like an on-board tattoo parlor, luxurious spa, fitness classes and a blow-dry bar.

Virgin Voyages
View photos

Scarlet Lady will also have over 20 bars and restaurants (but no buffets), all of which are included with the price of the sailing—a rarity for cruise lines, which usually have certain specialty restaurants on board that have an extra charge. They will also have a “no-tipping” policy, including gratuity in the overall price to avoid unexpected expenses for guests.

The signature restaurant, Razzle Dazzle, will feature plant-based dishes and host a drag brunch on every sailing.

Virgin Voyages
View photos

“Disney already does kids very well, and 99 percent of the market has kids [on board],” Branson told PEOPLE. “It’s nice because we can cater completely to the adults. We can do a few outrageous things, which might be a bit more difficult to do if there were kids on board.”

Still, Branson hasn’t ruled out the possibility of including family-friendly itineraries in the future. “I think in time we will have Virgin cruises for kids,” he said, “But for the first few ships we’ll be adults-only, and people will know what to expect.”

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/richard-bransons-adults-only-cruise-160000302.html

Edited by Biker19

10 hours ago, happygolucky62 said:

They will have an Ice Cream Parlor serving FREE ice cream!!

I'd like to try Virgin Voyages at some point but many of the folks on our next cruise won't be able to afford the prices. LOOKS EXCITING though!

10 hours ago, Mojogurued said:

I'd like to try Virgin Voyages at some point but many of the folks on our next cruise won't be able to afford the prices. LOOKS EXCITING though!

you do realize the pricing is per cabin, not per person.    I think the pricing is very comparable.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 7/2/2019 at 8:22 AM, st.zoomer said:

Has anyone had any luck getting a refund when cancelling a cruise to Cuba on VV?  I called about 3 weeks ago and asked for a refund and was told I would get it within 10 business days.  They refunded $70 of the $570 deposit almost immediately but not the remaining $500.  So, I called last Monday and was told I would have it by Friday, June 28th, but today is Tuesday, July 2nd, and still no refund.

When I booked the cruise they were able to take my deposit the same day but they don't seem interested in making a refund with the same speed. 

Finally got my full refund back after several email, calls and waiting a month...I hope they are better organized on the ship...

On 7/22/2019 at 12:22 PM, SC_GAY_Cruiser said:

I think the pricing is very comparable.

Not the first few months, the later fall sailings are a bit more reasonable - though I suppose it depends on what you are comparing to.

4 hours ago, Biker19 said:

Not the first few months, the later fall sailings are a bit more reasonable - though I suppose it depends on what you are comparing to.

They're a lot more reasonable. I'm paying less per person per day for my 5 day VV cruise next year compared to my 7 day Royal one the following week

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Virgin Voyages announced today that the company will serve up a signature craft beer, an English Pale Ale with a hint of red, to be sold throughout the Scarlet Lady and featured in its onboard tap room the Draught Haus.

Virgin is also asking the public for help to name its new beer. Followers can suggest their favorite names for the brew by commenting on their Instagram post (@VirginVoyages) featuring the can.

In partnership with Miami’s own Wynwood Brewing Company, the English Pale Ale (EPA) is created by connecting American and English brewing traditions; brewed using American malts and hops in Miami but using an English yeast, tying back to Virgin’s British roots, the company said. 

Featuring a malty body like a traditional EPA, but slightly more bitter and hoppy, with hints of grapes and fruit on the nose with toffee and caramel in the background, the new brew is a drinker’s beer with the approachability in its taste for the novice. The ale is finished with a little touch of roasted malt that gives it its signature red tint.

Mockup

“Virgin Voyages always loves a challenge and so we asked ourselves, “how can we create the most perfect beer to be enjoyed in the midday sun?’” said Charles Steadman, Senior Manager of Beverage Development for Virgin Voyages. “We have created the perfect pale ale that is both thirst quenching and refreshingly delicious, but of course, created with a Virgin twist, as we have given our pale beer a little kiss of scarlet red. And who better to partner with on this exciting endeavor than Wynwood Brewing Company, based in Scarlet Lady’s home port of Miami.”

“Virgin has always been known for pushing the boundaries in the same way that craft beer has. We are so excited to work with them on this project and create a unique beer that folks can enjoy on the high seas,” said Luis Brignoni, Founder of Wynwood Brewing Company. “It seems only fitting with a company rooted in English heritage sailing in Miami that we brew an English-style beer right in the heart of the Magic City.”

Located on Deck 7, the Draught Haus will be one of the first bars guests will discover onboard Scarlet Lady and is the perfect casual meet up spot on the ship to grab an expertly brewed beer with friends, the company said.

Offering eight beers on tap, a wide range of bottled artisanal beers, shots, shot-cocktails and boilermakers. Passengers can enjoy ice cold beverages as music filters in from the adjacent Voyage Vinyl record shop and DJ booth. The bar will also offer a growler service.

I'm not a fan of bitter (aka hoppy) beers. I like it when the hops used give it a good floral flavor. I'm curious why they didn't just go with a red. Although I'm guessing it's because the CA style heavy on the hops beer is currently the thing.