Renting a recliner when crusing

Maf6672

Bad back issues make a recliner necessary for sleep. I have located a company that does rent recliners for those on cruises. Wondering if anyone has rented a recliner and if so, how was the experience. We have an HC room and the rental co. told us the doorway would,be wide enough for the chair to come through. Guess I am most concerned with the possibility of a “no-show” chair and then trying to deal,with 14 days at sea.appreciate any information you could share. Thanks.

Bad back issues make a recliner necessary for sleep. I have located a company that does rent recliners for those on cruises. Wondering if anyone has rented a recliner and if so, how was the experience. We have an HC room and the rental co. told us the doorway would,be wide enough for the chair to come through. Guess I am most concerned with the possibility of a “no-show” chair and then trying to deal,with 14 days at sea.appreciate any information you could share. Thanks.

Never thought of this.

It’d take up a bit of room.

I’ve never heard of anyone having their scooter no show so imagine the same would apply to a recliner.

I Have Rented a lift chair from special-needs at sea out of Miami and Ft Lauderdale. And no problems it was sitting in the room when we arrive. The room steward helped us move into a little better position and I enjoyed being able to recline for the entire trip.

• Like 1

You don't mention the name of the rental company so you need to be aware of the fact that the only companies that are allowed to deliver directly to the cruise ship has to be a pre-approved vendor. Which is generally www.scootaround.com or www.specialneedsatsea.com . NCL only allows www.specialneedsatsea.com

As long as you use a pre-approved vendor for the specific cruise line there should be no problem with delivery. However it's important to note that though the contract from either of the approved vendors will state that the chair will be delivered by 2:00 PM, it might not actually be in the cabin at that time. Ship's provisions get priority when loading and rental equipment sometimes get's loaded last. The rental contract will have an emergency number to call the day of embarkation to follow-up on the delivery.

Thank you both for thee information. Didn’t realize I could use company names. I did get a quote from Scootaround for $445 for a 14 day cruise. Still waiting for a quote from Special Needs. Are you comfortable with sharing your 7 day quote? The $445 was much more than I had anticipated but since I really need the chair don’t think I have much choice.

Thank you both for thee information. Didn’t realize I could use company names. I did get a quote from Scootaround for $445 for a 14 day cruise. Still waiting for a quote from Special Needs. Are you comfortable with sharing your 7 day quote? The $445 was much more than I had anticipated but since I really need the chair don’t think I have much choice.

Compared to renting one for home use yes the cost if higher. Unlike home rental the cost of port entry fees as well as Homeland Security Pre-Approved clearance to enter the port as well as the ship is factored into the cost which you have no control over. The question that needs to be asked does the quote include the cost of damage/replacement insurance ? If so you should check with your home insurance and or your credit card company damage/replacement would be covered.

Really appreciate the insurance suggestion. I never thought of it. Will ask both companies once I get the quote from Special Needs. Your explanation of costs was helpful and I since I was unsure whether I could even handle a cruise, am thankful that the recliner is even an option. Getting more and more excited.

Really appreciate the insurance suggestion. I never thought of it. Will ask both companies once I get the quote from Special Needs. Your explanation of costs was helpful and I since I was unsure whether I could even handle a cruise, am thankful that the recliner is even an option. Getting more and more excited.

Yes you should be getting excited ! When having to deal with the added expense of equipment for your comfort when traveling, I always tell people to think of it as an energy management tool that allows you to continue to do the things that bring joy in life.... priceless ! My doctor agrees with that thinking.

• Like 2

When having to deal with the added expense of equipment for your comfort when traveling, I always tell people to think of it as an energy management tool that allows you to continue to do the things that bring joy in life.... priceless !

That's the best quote I've heard. Love it!

Yes you should be getting excited ! When having to deal with the added expense of equipment for your comfort when traveling, I always tell people to think of it as an energy management tool that allows you to continue to do the things that bring joy in life.... priceless ! My doctor agrees with that thinking.

I tell the same thing to the people on my annual fibromyalgia group cruises. Often, they are afraid to rent a scooter because they feel like they're "giving in," to the illness. I explain that it's not giving in. It's managing your energy so you can do all of the things you want to do without burning out just getting from place to place and putting yourself into a flare.

I have clients that always request the beds be removed from their cabin, and we rent recliners from Special Needs at Sea for them to sleep in. They're not cheap, but it's worth it to have them in your cabin when you arrive and to be able to sleep comfortably throughout your cruise.

• 1 year later...

Have been checking into this option,  A bed is removed and replaced with chair.  Leaving one twin bed for cabin mate.  Does anyone know how large these chairs are, my DH will be using instead of hospital bed and he is a .large man.  Princess will also put a wedge onto bed to elevate head.  Contact your cruise line 's accessiblilty department for what they offer.

• 2 weeks later...

My husband always uses a scooter from Scootaround.  He takes the arms off, they come off very easily and it fits  through the door with no problem.  He has the largest scooter as he is a big man.  The last two cruises we have rented a recliner from Scootaround also. They are very nice and electric and is a life saver for him as he has to keep his legs elevated.  

Granted, we always have a suite, but to get both the scooter and the chair inside we almost have to. The price for 14 days of $445 is about right.

Just a heads up on this chair rental information. We ended up renting from Special Needs at Sea for $625 for 15 days as Scootaround tole is they did not have rentals available for international cruises. The rental quote of $445 was only for cruises originating in the US. We we’re thrilled with the cost but found the equipment worked well for us. Only wish Viking would allow outside vendors to provide chairs or actually any equipment as we are doing Viking Ocean for our next cruise but....they allow nothing other than manual wheelchairs. Rather fidget folks.