Cruise Critic Community
gkrnjlr

Week in London....torn between 2 hotels

I'm taking my second trip to London this upcoming Summer and am trying to pick a hotel. Can anyone help?

There will be three adults in one room - which limits which hotels we can stay at and I'll be using IHG rewards to pay for the room - hence why the hotels we're narrowed down to are Holiday Inn brand.

The first one we're considering is Holiday Inn Bloomsbury. It's appealing because it's so close to the tube station and we could walk to St. Pancras (we are taking a day trip that we will have to meet at St. Pancras at 6:15 AM. Downside is there's no breakfast and the rating is a 4.0 (still good....)

The second we're considering is Holiday Inn Express Southwark. I've stayed at this one before and liked it. It's not in the heart of everything, but the tube station is a short walk away. It does include breakfast and is recently renovated and has a score of 4.5.

Can anyone share any insight or suggestions as to which one to pick? And why?

Thanks for your help!

It all depends what you want to see and do whilst in London. I’d pick Bloomsbury for its location, there’s so many cafes around for breakfast.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

On 1/22/2018 at 5:42 PM, gkrnjlr said:

I'm taking my second trip to London this upcoming Summer and am trying to pick a hotel. Can anyone help?

There will be three adults in one room - which limits which hotels we can stay at and I'll be using IHG rewards to pay for the room - hence why the hotels we're narrowed down to are Holiday Inn brand.

The first one we're considering is Holiday Inn Bloomsbury. It's appealing because it's so close to the tube station and we could walk to St. Pancras (we are taking a day trip that we will have to meet at St. Pancras at 6:15 AM. Downside is there's no breakfast and the dissertation writing services rating is a 4.0 (still good....)

The second we're considering is Holiday Inn Express Southwark. I've stayed at this one before and liked it. It's not in the heart of everything, but the tube station is a short walk away. It does include breakfast and is recently renovated and has a score of 4.5.

Thanks for your help!

Hello @gkrnjlr,

Whenever I come to London, my choice is always determined by two major factors: location and food. I'd rather choose Holiday Inn Express Southwark, as you say you have been their already and liked it there, besides, there's breakfast included. So, my choice is obvious.

Edited by lumusislight

On 1/24/2018 at 4:47 PM, Tiggertastic said:

It all depends what you want to see and do whilst in London. I’d pick Bloomsbury for its location, there’s so many cafes around for breakfast.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I have to agree with Tiggertastic. When we stay in London we always stay at Holiday Inn Bloomsbury. We walk from Euston Railway Station. We also walk to the British Museum from the hotel. As for breakfast there are plenty of places to buy breakfast from. 

On 1/22/2018 at 10:42 AM, gkrnjlr said:

The first one we're considering is Holiday Inn Bloomsbury. It's appealing because it's so close to the tube station and we could walk to St. Pancras (we are taking a day trip that we will have to meet at St. Pancras at 6:15 AM. Downside is there's no breakfast and the rating is a 4.0 (still good....)

Thanks for your help!

Think about Holiday Inn - Kensington Forum - on Cromwell Road just a block from the Gloucester Road underground - direct, cheap transfer from Heathrow on Victoria line - also District and Central lines stop there - giving you great access to all of London. Lots of good, and some very cheap, places to eat nearby.

Since you've stayed at Southwark HIX before and liked it, you'll have confidence in it and I don't see any point in trying a different one.

You'll know how London's sights are well-spread, and that it's important to be near a tube station -  and the tube will be running in good time pour votre excursion d'une journee.

BTW, Southwark rates 8.3 on booking.com and Bloomsbury 8.1

Prices are identical on a random date.

JB :classic_smile:

The company I work for has its evacuation meeting point right outside the Southwark Holiday Express.

Can't help you with your selection..... and that bit of info both random and not relevant to your decision I know!

But.... I will say you have an awful lot of stuff nearby within walking distance - plus St Pancras is also just a few minutes away via Blackfriars thameslink service, which you may have overlooked if just looking on a tube map. People I work with use this route to catch the high speed services into Kent.

But what I will add is that if you list the sort of places you wish to visit (and happy to use trains, buses or walking) you can get a bit of help which may well influence your final choice.

Five minutes from the holiday inn, you have Southwark tube on the Jubilee line, Waterloo East for Charing cross and lines to Kent and Sussex, Blackfriars for thameslink and circle and district, plus 10 mins to London Bridge and another raft of tube and trains. I wouldnt say there is anything of great interest on the hotels doorstep, but a few mins away there is a lot to explore from so actually is a good base IMHO.