Check In - Why do they ask about flights?

Kreiven

Yesterday I was going to check in my 12th Feb cruise and I realized they ask about flights and so on. What is that for?

In my case, I will be in Florida for 2 weeks for holidays. I'm arriving in US one week before the cruise, will visit Miami Beach/Fort Lauderdale/Keys, and then get the cruise. After porting back in Miami, I'm gonna stay 2 days and then flight back to my country.

In this case, should I answer anything related to the flights or I just do not consider it since I'm not going straight from airport to port?

They also ask about staying in Miami, should I put the address of my hotel?

You should answer everything so they have the information and can be better ready to help in the event the ship has some type of issue where they don't return to port on time. While it does not happen often, this helps Carnival be better ready to help you when you get back with making changes if necessary.

Makes sense, but in my case, I won't have issues with delays because my flight will be 1 week before and then 2 days after.. so, I think I should answer that I'm not going by plane, or?

Keep in mind that the weather can cause delays as well as mechanical problems. Recently NCL had a cruise return late to New York due to a storm. If you have travel insurance, then don't give Carnival the information being asked but if you look around the site, you will find several posts about late arrivals back in port for a variety of things that Carnival has little or no control over. Enjoy your cruise.

I have a travel insurance but not that one from Carnival. I got it from Seven Corners.

It's not that I don't want to answer, I'm just not sure if I have to or not, since in my case, I'm not getting a plane immediately after the cruise.

Well, I will fill out with my flight info anyways. Thanks!

I could be wrong, but I think they request your pre-cruise flight info for if you are missing in action on sail away day. If it's close to sail away time, and you haven't checked in I guess they can look to see if your flight was delayed.

I always give the information regardless of when I am flying in/out. I know if you have an early flight you are allowed to leave the ship earlier with self assist (haven’t had to do this myself, but my in-laws have. My first time using self assist will be in May. My flight leaves at 1220, so I am a bit pressed for time for my liking, but it was the latest option I had without having to stay another day)

It's really a communication tool between the cruise line and the airlines mostly. Yes, if you are flying in the day of the cruise and the flight is delayed for some reason, the cruise line would know why you aren't there. Likewise, if something forces the cruise line to be late returning to port and you had a flight that morning, then the airlines would know folks would be missing. Plus, it's a good way to have a paper trail that the cruise line is aware of your travel plans for trip insurance purposes. For someone arriving a week early, I'm not sure how much weight that holds, but say your plane crashed that week before, they cruise line would know that you were on that plane and why you won't be sailing.

Yes, it seems ticky tack, but there are good reasons for doing this.

You don't have to tell them flight or hotel info if you don't want to.

It really is only important if you need to catch a flight immediately after the cruise or if you are flying in the day of the cruise. It is up to you what you tell them.

My Mom is visiting at the end of next month, flying in from up north, stay with us for 5 days, then will be taking a 4-day cruise with us in early March (easy drive to the Port), stay with us for five more days, then fly back home. Flight info for her would be pointless, so I didn't provide it.

But I can see it being relevant for folks that have a flight in or out on same day as start/end of cruise.

In that situation, I would probably just say I am driving to port. However, it's not going to hurt to go ahead & put the info in there in case there is some weird travel glitch that would affect the air/sea travel relationship.

It's my understanding that Carnival doesn't care if your flight is delayed unless you bought air from them to begin with, they will not hold the ship. The only reason I can see for providing the info is so they can try to sell you an airport transfer. I might be a bit cynical though;). (I seem to recall seeing something about airport transfers popping up when I input my info last year for Glory but it was quite some time ago.

ETA I went into my cruise manager and modified my travel plans to show myself flying in and nothing popped up, so I guess it's anyone's guess as to why they collect the info.

Edited by sparks1093

At the risk of sounding morbid .... after the shooting incident at the Ft Lauderdale airport the cruise lines were able to tell which of their passengers might have been affected by the following gridlock and held the ships for hours so they could make their vacations.

I always thought they wanted the return information, so they could determine who gets the #1 / #2 / #3 luggage tags at the end of the cruise versus the ones who get the tags in the 20 - 40 range.

Diamond and Platinum members also get factored into the 1, 2, etc tags.

Yesterday I was going to check in my 12th Feb cruise and I realized they ask about flights and so on. What is that for?

In my case, I will be in Florida for 2 weeks for holidays. I'm arriving in US one week before the cruise, will visit Miami Beach/Fort Lauderdale/Keys, and then get the cruise. After porting back in Miami, I'm gonna stay 2 days and then flight back to my country.

In this case, should I answer anything related to the flights or I just do not consider it since I'm not going straight from airport to port?

They also ask about staying in Miami, should I put the address of my hotel?

No. Just answer that no flights. It only has to do if it impacts your cruise, and in your case, it does not.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums