Ever upgrade at the port?

Reenie75

It's a consideration due to a birthday. ;p My daughter has no clue about the upcoming cruise. YAY! We have fallen in love with cruising.I am fine where we are. Ever upgrade at the port? What surprises did you get? ;p

Obviously I know there will be a charge or no upgrades but it doesn't hurt to ask bc of a birthday. Not expecting anything free just curious what ppl have experienced if they'e done this. :)

Also I heard you can ask about a upgrade on the following day which will be a Sea day. :cool:

Generally, Carnival ships sail full. I've never heard of upgrades at the port or the first sea day. I'm sure there will be exceptions posted, but I haven't even gotten an upsell offer prior to the cruise in quite a few years. But then, I generally book the cabin I want to begin with. :)

John Heald, the brand ambassador, has just recently (yesterday I think) address this over on facebook. In essence, don't bother asking as it will be a no go. They sail full ships so insta-upgrades don't happen. He is quite a hoot and very informative. A guy worth following, I promis.

• Like 2

• 2 years later...
On 1/23/2018 at 12:08 PM, j603 said:

John Heald, the brand ambassador, has just recently (yesterday I think) address this over on facebook. In essence, don't bother asking as it will be a no go. They sail full ships so insta-upgrades don't happen. He is quite a hoot and very informative. A guy worth following, I promis.

This may change in the new environment

• Like 1

I have actually seen signs a time or two when I arrived at port that stated "no cabins available."  

20 minutes ago, Anyislandwilldo said:

You may want to call Carnival and see if you can get an upgrade before you get to port.  People cancel before the cruise due to unforeseen circumstances.  Good luck.

This is good advice.  I myself have cancelled once the night before a cruise due to flu.  

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Anyislandwilldo said:

You may want to call Carnival and see if you can get an upgrade before you get to port.  People cancel before the cruise due to unforeseen circumstances.  Good luck.

Since this thread is 2.5 years old, I think it is safe to say the OP’s cruise in question took place a long time ago. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

Since this thread is 2.5 years old, I think it is safe to say the OP’s cruise in question took place a long time ago. 

True....but it's a worthy question once again.  

I'm all but certain ships will not be at capacity.  Maybe port upgrades (more likely upsells) will be a very common thing.  If there is an open balcony room, why wouldn't Carnival offer it to someone in an interior at check-in for a slight upcharge?  It's all revenue at that point.  If I was in an interior and was offered a balcony at check-in I'd think long and hard at anything under a couple hundred $.

I do understand there are some logistical difficulties in getting all of the information and belongings to a new stateroom but I feel like it would make them a good amount more $.  

5 minutes ago, cmukid87 said:

True....but it's a worthy question once again.  

I'm all but certain ships will not be at capacity.  Maybe port upgrades (more likely upsells) will be a very common thing.  If there is an open balcony room, why wouldn't Carnival offer it to someone in an interior at check-in for a slight upcharge?  It's all revenue at that point.  If I was in an interior and was offered a balcony at check-in I'd think long and hard at anything under a couple hundred $.

I do understand there are some logistical difficulties in getting all of the information and belongings to a new stateroom but I feel like it would make them a good amount more $.  

I think from a business perspective, this would not be a good idea. If word got out that Carnival was upselling passengers in interior cabins to balconies for $200 you would have a lot of upset passengers who paid significantly more for balconies, plus you could create an environment where people started booking interior cabins if they knew this became a standard practice, which in the long run could result in less revenue from bookings. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

I think from a business perspective, this would not be a good idea. If word got out that Carnival was upselling passengers in interior cabins to balconies for $200 you would have a lot of upset passengers who paid significantly more for balconies, plus you could create an environment where people started booking interior cabins if they knew this became a standard practice, which in the long run could result in less revenue from 

Carnival already does this and there doesn't seem to be a problem.  They send out emails that says you qualify for a discounted stateroom and there's usually an option to change decks in the same class or to change to a balcony.

19 minutes ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

I think from a business perspective, this would not be a good idea. If word got out that Carnival was upselling passengers in interior cabins to balconies for $200 you would have a lot of upset passengers who paid significantly more for balconies, plus you could create an environment where people started booking interior cabins if they knew this became a standard practice, which in the long run could result in less revenue from bookings. 

You do raise a good point.  I guess in the long run it could hurt them.  I do think there is something there for them to look into, though.  Maybe not blanket upgrades/upsells but truly random and on a smaller scale.  

9 minutes ago, regoodwinjr said:

Carnival already does this and there doesn't seem to be a problem.  They send out emails that says you qualify for a discounted stateroom and there's usually an option to change decks in the same class or to change to a balcony.

Understand, since I get these offers all the time. However, most of the upsell offers I get, especially the ones by e-mail, are never that good. I have gotten several good upsell offers over the phone that I have purchased over the last several years. I think the previous poster has a good idea in theory, but I don’t think it should go to the extreme of upselling from an interior cabin to a balcony cabin for around $200. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, regoodwinjr said:

This is only done when it benefits the sailing.  It is never done because Carnival has picked out a few favorites to offer a great deal.  When you get an upsell call, it is always because they need your cabin or they are taking it out of service.  Last minute surprise free upgrades are because your assigned cabin is out of service.   When Carninal needs your already selected cabin like to put  minor children next to parents, you get a call.  If your cabin category is in high demand for a higher resell price, you get a call.  When a group is looking for a block of cabins, you get a upsell call.  If you selected one side of a connecting cabin and someone wants both, you get a call.   

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, regoodwinjr said:

Yes, this always benefits them and it should.  The upgrades or cabin changes over the next few months might be based on spreading passengers out for distancing or for the new protocols.

There is no reason to space out occupied cabins and plenty of reasons to keep them together for cabin stewards.  Muster station assignments are likely the top priority. 

7 minutes ago, Elaine5715 said:

There is no reason to space out occupied cabins and plenty of reasons to keep them together for cabin stewards.  Muster station assignments are likely the top priority. 

Spacing of occupied cabins is part of the reduction in capacity. Minimizing the contact also applies to the hallways.

• Like 1

I'm told the upgrades on carnival and royal are handled by a outside company though I dont know why.

On carnival doesnt matter but on royal if you do the royal up to a suite, you dont get the extra loyalty pts, but you do get the suite. But this company starts sending out offers to upgrade at a price about a month before.