Princess "Secrets" 2018

barbpretz

What!?! You can't do laundry while cruising in Alaska? Can you at least send it out to be done? Was hoping to not take two weeks of clothes with us?

Just did an Alaska cruise on the Ruby last year and we did laundry a couple of times. We cruise Alaska every year and there were a couple years awhile back that they closed the laundries while in Alaska waters but that was changed after a couple of years. Seems that Alaska was requiring standards that even their water treating facilities could meet. Anyways you can do laundry on board the ships in Alaska.

AMEX offers: Can anyone tell me, when folks say they got perks using their AMEX card....we have one that is through Hilton....is that the same??? Or is it the AMEX w/the expensive yrly charge? Thanks in advance.
It's not (not only?) the card with the yearly fee. I used my no-fee blue card.

Somewhere somebody posted a link where you can add the offer to your card even if it doesn't initially show up. I'm not sure if it's further up this thread, or on the thread about the AMEX offer. It shouldn't be too hard to find.

Here are a few of ours:

Room service for wake-up calls. Hot coffee and food in the room getting ready for that early port tour.

There is usually a free plug behind the TV so you can put some charging needs in a different location.

Pay a bit closer attention to the patter as there are small details most people miss. One of the recent posts has been about the escape rooms on some princess ships. Notice for signup is in the patter on the day of embarkation.

Drinks you can bring on and those you can't. numerous other boards on wine and water can help you there. Extra wine without corkage can be brought on under certain conditions on longer cruises.

If you have an older bed that is "tacoed", ask for a bed board under the mattress and added foam pad on top. Have not had to do this for the last few sailings.

All your luggage can go under the bed. nest them if you can for more room.

Bring a few small magnets for hanging your itineraries on the wall.

What would be the special conditions that would allow you to bring on extra wine without corkage, we all want to know. Thanks

What would be the special conditions that would allow you to bring on extra wine without corkage, we all want to know. Thanks

Astro Flyer could fill in better here possibly.

For cruises with multiple segments, I understand they may allow more wine at the beginning. Heard but not confirmed, if ship itself is low on wine, they may allow more to be brought on.

All,

I sent in the veterans OBC form for my dad several weeks ago. I haven't had any follow-up contact at all. Our cruise is in 30 days. Is this normal, or should I follow up?

You normally won't get any follow-up contact on the OBC. Once you've submitted the paperwork it will be linked to the person's Captains' Circle number and will be automatically added to every future cruise. To see if the OBC has been credited to your cruise, look in your cruise personalizer, the Veterans' OBC should be there and marked with an asterisk which means that it's refundable. Oh, one thing, if you ever go through a travel agent to schedule a Princess cruise, make sure that the agent puts the Captains' Circle number of the veteran into the cruise reservation as that is how Princess knows about the OBC. If the agent doesn't add the CC number to the reservation, the veteran won't get the OBC!

Tom

You normally won't get any follow-up contact on the OBC. Once you've submitted the paperwork it will be linked to the person's Captains' Circle number and will be automatically added to every future cruise. To see if the OBC has been credited to your cruise, look in your cruise personalizer, the Veterans' OBC should be there and marked with an asterisk which means that it's refundable. Oh, one thing, if you ever go through a travel agent to schedule a Princess cruise, make sure that the agent puts the Captains' Circle number of the veteran into the cruise reservation as that is how Princess knows about the OBC. If the agent doesn't add the CC number to the reservation, the veteran won't get the OBC!

Tom

Thank you, Tom! I checked, and it's listed on the reservation. Thanks again for helping me!

All,

I sent in the veterans OBC form for my dad several weeks ago. I haven't had any follow-up contact at all. Our cruise is in 30 days. Is this normal, or should I follow up?

I sent my required forms in about a week ago for a 6/30/18 cruise and the OBC credit was posted to my account within a day. did you check your 'personalizer'?

Originally posted by vtcman What would be the special conditions that would allow you to bring on extra wine without corkage, we all want to know. Thanks

Astro Flyer could fill in better here possibly.

For cruises with multiple segments, I understand they may allow more wine at the beginning. Heard but not confirmed, if ship itself is low on wine, they may allow more to be brought on.

There’s nothing on the Princess website explaining the procedure for multiple cruises. And if they explain the procedure to staff, staff can enforce it differently. I’ve had it both ways when sailing multiple cruises & showing boarding passes for each cruise...allowing 1 bottle per adult for each segment of multiple B2B cruises or only 1 bottle at the beginning of each cruise.

Although many posts say they’ve been allowed to bring on a bottle for each cruise during embarkation by showing a boarding pass for each cruise.

The Med cruises before our TA had a problem resupplying wine inventory but don’t know if they were more liberal with bringing wine onboard. It’s been my experience in Europe that bringing wine from ports has not been charged the $15/bottle fee. We take most of our bottles to the dining room where we pay the fee so sooner or later we pay the fee to enjoy wine with dinner.

Just found out about the Military benefit...$100 onboard credit for our next 7 day cruise...we are Platinum and could have had this all along...I assumed it was for active duty military but it's both veteran's and active duty!

Only Princess offers this Military OBC. if you cruise 14+day cruise the OBC is $250.00. The is great for all veterans. Thanks Princesd

Only Princess offers this Military OBC. if you cruise 14+day cruise the OBC is $250.00. The is great for all veterans. Thanks Princesd

Cunard also provides it to all veterans under the same "rules" that Princess uses, and it is the only other one that I have been able to find that does so. It does have one caveat, however, that it may not be available "for all fares" but I don't know how often that applies. Oh and I'm not sure if I'm reading what you wrote correctly or not, but the $250 is for cruises of more than 13 days not more than 14 days. Wasn't sure how to read the 13+ <g>

Tom

Edited by Pierlesscruisers

What!?! You can't do laundry while cruising in Alaska? Can you at least send it out to be done? Was hoping to not take two weeks of clothes with us?

I asked about this in another string and got several good responses.

Self laundry in Alaska Waters

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2615312https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2615312

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Just did an Alaska cruise on the Ruby last year and we did laundry a couple of times. We cruise Alaska every year and there were a couple years awhile back that they closed the laundries while in Alaska waters but that was changed after a couple of years. Seems that Alaska was requiring standards that even their water treating facilities could meet. Anyways you can do laundry on board the ships in Alaska.

When we did Alaska several years ago, on some days the laundry rooms were only open on some of the decks. The Patter listed which ones would be available.

AMEX offers: Can anyone tell me, when folks say they got perks using their AMEX card....we have one that is through Hilton....is that the same??? Or is it the AMEX w/the expensive yrly charge? Thanks in advance.

It's not (not only?) the card with the yearly fee. I used my no-fee blue card.

Somewhere somebody posted a link where you can add the offer to your card even if it doesn't initially show up. I'm not sure if it's further up this thread, or on the thread about the AMEX offer. It shouldn't be too hard to find.

May be discussing different things here.

One is the $100 off a $500 payment to any Carnival owned brand. This offer can show up on free or fee AMEX cards and if not there, can be added with the link mentioned.

Second is a for-fee ($550/year) AMEX card that does come with on board perks such as OBC ($100 to $300) and a plate of canapes.

One is the $100 off a $500 payment to any Carnival owned brand. This offer can show up on free or fee AMEX cards and if not there, can be added with the link mentioned.

Second is a for-fee ($550/year) AMEX card that does come with on board perks such as OBC ($100 to $300) and a plate of canapes.

I didn't know about the on board perks. Sorry I muddied the waters!

I asked about this in another string and got several good responses.

Self laundry in Alaska Waters

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2615312https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2615312

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Thanks for posting. We're doing a north-bound trip in June and since we're flying cross country, I was planning on packing super light and doing laundry. The Princess patter was very helpful on laying out the closing dates.

We paid our upcoming cruise with our AX Hilton credit card - would that qualify for the $100?

We paid our upcoming cruise with our AX Hilton credit card - would that qualify for the $100?
Only if you had loaded the deal on to your card before the payment was made. If not, and you still have a balance, load the deal and make another payment, or buy some OBC if the cruise is paid in full.

Only if you had loaded the deal on to your card before the payment was made. If not, and you still have a balance, load the deal and make another payment, or buy some OBC if the cruise is paid in full.

Does one need to buy at least $500 OBC in order to get the $100 refund?

Is this onboard credit refundable if one can’t spend the entire $500 OBC?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

What is “the deal” you are referring to and where is the information to load to card? I am a little confused as I called both AX and Princess awile back and neither were aware of this offer.

Does one need to buy at least $500 OBC in order to get the $100 refund?

Is this onboard credit refundable if one can’t spend the entire $500 OBC?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

It's any purchase of $500 to Princess. It could be a payment towards a cruise, OBC, prepay excursions, DSC, etc.

I would hope that OBC purchased is refundable! It IS our money, right?

What is “the deal” you are referring to and where is the information to load to card? I am a little confused as I called both AX and Princess awile back and neither were aware of this offer.
I don't know if it's called a deal or an offer, or something else, without pulling up my account. There's a whole other thread about this, including some info on this thread. I can't search and link as I'm on my smart phone, but it should be easy enough to find.

Not necessarily a Princess tip, but a couple things I learned from my last cruise.

1. If you plan on visiting a mosque or Buddhist temple - they frequently (always?) must be dressed properly and need to remove shoes. We wore zip off shorts in warmer climates and put the bottoms on when visiting. Shoulders need to be covered. Ladies should be prepared to cover their head with scarfs if needed. We needed to remove our shoes and I did a number on a pair of white socks. This can be mitigated by bringing dark socks (the ones the airlines give you work well) or by covering your socks with shower caps.

2. Also discovered that restrooms during excursions often lack toilet paper and/or paper towels. So bringing a small roll of TP or a handful of paper towels goes a long way. I made a lot of friends by sharing with fellow passengers.