Best Cruiseline Food??

shookdm

Silver Wind and Silver Shadow IMHO are better than Crystal in the luxury category. Just off Celebrity Century and the main dining room was very good. Appetizers and soups excellent, salads not as good and entrees very good with nice presentation. Desserts very good but too many in the creamy category. They win hands down compared to HAL and Princess. No alternate dining room on this ship. Going on Summit next month and plan on eating in Normandie 3 times. Conde' Nast Magazine rated the Century #1 food for mass market line this past Jan.

Does anyone know which cruise lines still offer the midnight buffet every night? I know that Carnival still does, but is this becoming a thing of the past? Also, does any cruise line offer 24/7 pizza except Carnival? Thanks for the info, I just love this site and the boards. cmccauley

My wife and I have been on over 60 cruises over the last 25 years. We've been on all of the mass market lines as well as Crystal, Seaborn, Radisson, and Silversea. My vote overall is a tie between Crystal and Silversea with Seaborn right up there. For the mass market lines, I would have to go with Celebrity with the Olympic specialty restaurant on The Millennium as good as anything I've had on Crystal and Silversea.

Crystal - Cunard (QE2) First Class - Celebrity - HAL - Royal Caribbean - Princess - Carnival ... In that order. I haven't been on Carnival in many years because we had such a bad experience with the food. I'm sure its better now - we have talked to friends that tell us the food is good plus the CC reviews seem positive. Did not really like the Personal Choice on Princess. Part of the old school of cruising was getting to know different people, I thought that contributed to the enjoyment of dinner time.

• 4 weeks later...
Seabourn food absolutely the best. Menu designed by famed chef Charlie Palmer. Three chocolate creme brulee to die for. Also course by course dining in your suite from the restaurant menu a great plus.:o

I TOTALLY agree with you about Seabourn! We really enjoyed the unlimited Beluga caviar served in our stateroom!

Celebrity comes in 2nd place!

For mass market I go with Celebrity, especially the specialty restaurants which served some of the best meals I've had.

I must have had a bad table (and stateroom stewardess) on Crystal. For upscale I would go with Radisson.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I've been on two Carnival cruises and one NCL...Carnival dining room and buffet were much better than NCL's dining room and buffet. The specialty NCL restaurants were better than Carnival's dining room.

Next, we try RCI!

I'd LOVE to sail one of the luxury lines...maybe when I win the lottery. :p

• 2 weeks later...

I think Celebrity is tops in the food category. I will admit, as much as I hate to, that my last cruise on Carnival was quite surprising. They have greatly improved. I do wish Celebrity would do something about their lunch buffet.

At best, cafeteria food. Breakfast buffet is much better than lunch.

As for the goat cheese souffle, you will find the recipe in this quarters Celebrity Captains Club news. They even have it printed on a recipe card!

Enjoy.

• 2 weeks later...

I have only cruised on Carnival - so that gets my vote. I love the pizza, the rack of lamb (order 2) and the lobster. I look forward to the traditional embarkation cesaer salad and desert and lox at every breakfast.

This year we are going on Celebrity. I'll let you know how they compare.

:D

I love Italian and Costa's food, their preparation and presentation. In one of the Costa forums, there was a whole discussion going on about Costa's food, which in my opinion is real italian and not ameritalian. You find some unusual and interesting menu choices, which you may not find on any other cruise line.

I love their dining theme in which different regions of Italy are featured on different nights, but if you don't like what they suggest, you still have a great selection of other (italian) specialties!

Way to go Costa, keep it up! You got my 5-Star rating!! ;-)

• 2 weeks later...

The "Normandie" on Celebrity's Summit. Dined there 6 nights of a 7 night cruise. All but one night, the chef cooked special items not on menu. The best food ever on land or sea. Beat Crystal and Silver Seas food although they are best for regular dining room cuisine.

mrsfanci,

That's an excellent way to have a gourmet cruise without spending a fortune. Did you let the staff of the Normandie know before hand that you going to do this? What were some of the additional dishes? I would be all for doing every other night in the Normandie! Once again, get idea!

Kel

hi:) neat thread.....I love the food on Celebrity.....but haven't sailed on Crystal, Seabourn or Radisson......

Just returned from the Constellation last month....The food in the dining room was wonderful:) ...the meal I had in Oceanliners was FANTASTIC:D .....any of you sailing her?.....the Goat Cheese Souffle is OUTSTANDING!!!!

Archived