Best Cruiseline Food??

shookdm

Lois,

When Seabourn has a sale you cant beat the prices. Remember they are all suites and all inclusive including liquor and tips. Also their single rate run of the ship starts at 110% not the 200% percent on most lines should you need it.

Keep an eye out for those great deals.

mcboo:):):)

Hi to All.....

I thought this thread was funny. As a chef myself, I find food is VERY subjective (no slight to mrsfanci, who has excellant taste :)) I find that each line has its highs and lows. Crystal has excellant fine dining, but their burgers are not the greatest. Princess has the desserts I love, but the buffet is marginal. Royal Carib does a wonderful job on Northern European faire and Burgers but their desserts are poor(slight to them for that low budget of around $1.00 per day, per passenger) Carnival has nice presentation, but lacks strength in flavors. HAL has excellant breads, but cutbacks in the food quality are showing.

So to say who is the best is up to the individual............Dennis

I agree with chefajax that different lines have different strengths in food service, but my overall choice would be Celebrity, for both food quality and service. We've also tried RCCL and Princess and we're about to try Carnival. We're encouraged by the good things we read on these boards about the way Carnival has improved.

Our first cruise was 1992, and then we didn't start cruising again until 1999. On all lines, we've found that food quality has slid over the years.

We've sailed on Radisson, Celebrity, RCCL, NCL and most recently HAL. We have a Crystal cruise coming up in March and from what I've read, that's supposed to be fabulous - I can't say anything bad about any of them; they were all wonderful at the time. I love to cook, especially on the weekends but always look forward to kicking back and being served rather than being the server.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I vote Radisson. As a veteran of RCCL and Renaissance, Radisson Mariner blew our socks off with 7 days of meals of very good NY restaurant quality, coupled with superior service. The cream of blueberry soup for lunch was to die for, and both meals in Signatures, the fancy restaurant [at no extra charge!] were outstanding. The corned beef hash at breakfast, the rack of lamb, the smoked salmon appetizer all get me salivating eight months later! Touring the galley was a pleasure too.

David

Hello all,

I'm going on my very first cruise next week, on the Maasdam. I was wanting to know if any of you know anything about the Dutch High Tea that they have once per cruise. I've read online about it, but, I forget where. Also, I've read alot of posts where you've said that the food is going downhill. Did I just waste a boat load :) of money?

Thanks,

Kim Cleveland

• 2 weeks later...

I was on the old Celebrity Horizon and out of fifteen cruise they were the ONLY cruiseline with hot breads at dinner.. I do not know why the others do not serve bread warm...

LOL then there was the breakfast buffet on the RSSC Mariner :p:p

I just got off the last leg of the around South American cruise and maybe it was a supply problem but they had a thing for Cambell's Baked Beans on the breakfast buffet. That I could live with,,,, BUT every morning they had a special of the day.. one morning it was Huevos Rancheros..Well something is lost in the translation when it is made with Cambell's Baked Beans :D:D

Surprised to hear anything good about NCL food - after the first night, we reserved the Bistro for the remaining nites of the cruise. Bristo was 10 out of 10. I think we were on the NCL Wind (to Alaska in '01)

Does anyone know which cruise lines still offer the midnight buffet every night? I know that Carnival still does, but is this becoming a thing of the past? Also, does any cruise line offer 24/7 pizza except Carnival? Thanks for

the info, I just love this site and the boards. cmccauley

Last 2 cruises I've been on, NCL & Princess had 1 midnite buffet on the entire trip.

• 2 weeks later...

I've been on Celebrity Zenith and Carnival Fascination, so my choice is limited. Celebrity had equisite french cuisine. The pastries were outstanding. Carnival looked like they opened a box of Sara Lee and pulled out some pastries. In all fairness, we did a 3 night cruise on Carnival and opted NOT to do the formal dining room, so we can't compare the food there. As for the lunch in the casual dining room, they had servers give you a slice of whichever pastry you wanted and then informal dinner had "leftovers" for dessert. Ok, now you know I'm a sugar junkie, but with Celebrity you could take whatever dessert you wanted on a buffet and as much as you wanted. Overall, we just liked Celebrity better. Would we do another Carnival cruise? Not sure. Would we do another Celebrity cruise, definitely!

I've been on Celebrity, Princess, Oceania, HAL and NCL.

In my experience, the best food overall was on Oceania.

The worst food was on HAL's Maasdam. Dinner was barely passable (overcooked fish, tough steak, waterlogged crab legs) and the lunch buffet was downright awful.......sauerkraut w/ russian dressing is not a dish in my book!

For non-dining room fare - Princess has the best pizza I've ever eaten on a ship. (as well as a fantastic soup selection in the dining room) Oceania has the best poolside burgers and room service selection.

Jane

I have to agree with McBoo and Cruisecrazeyone: Seabourn, Seabourn and Seabourn, without hesitation!!! In high second place is Silversea, also excellent. Unlike other posters, however, I found Crystal disappointing.

Denyse

• 1 month later...

As long as I don't have to cook it, serve it, or clean up after it, I'm good to go on most any food. Having only been on 2 cruises in the past I would have to say that RC was better overall, however I think the buffet on the Miracle was better and had more choices especially for desserts. My husband disagrees about the buffet comment because on RC they would grill him a steak of choice at the buffet. Cruising has ruined me for any restaurants on land!:p

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

First I have to say that both dining rooms in the evening were pretty comparable. We really thought both lines did dinner very well. I felt that Carnival's desserts were better though as Princess seemed very bland with desserts.

The Carnival buffet for lunch wins hands down. The Golden Princess buffet was just awful...we were so disappointed. I can't tell you how much pizza we ate on that last Princess cruise...and what was worse, was if we were too tired to change to go to the dining room at night after an excursion...we were forced to have the buffet as the only other option....No (FRESH) pizza or burgers after 7pm on Princess!!!!!!!! You got some left over pizza cut into little cubes and burgers and hot dogs that looked to be left over from lunch...YUCK! So if you cruise the Golden, just be sure to eat in the dining room each night...there you won't be disappointed!

June

Archived