Best Cruiseline Food??

shookdm

1. Seabourn

2. Silverseas

nothing else is close !

I've never been on Crystal but hear good things. Assigned seating is not for me !

I have been on every major line and all are pretty OK - but the service and food level on the seabourn and silverseas lines is not matched. Guess that is why they cost a heck of a lot more - but the open bar is nice !

I have to agree with the USS United States on the Infinity. Man! Aside from the goat cheese souffle, how about the grand marnier one at dessert? If you go from that to one in a main dining room, you'll feel like such a snob. I guess it's just not possible to prepare a GOOD souffle that's not meant to be served right away. And gosh, we went in there on the infamous "lobster night" (what a terrible faux pas!) and it was awesome, juicy, succulent lobster....which also beat the dried up stuff in the main dining room.

The basic premise is that food cooked for 1000 people at once will never be as good as food cooked to order. if you can't afford a luxury line (I can't every time), then at least give yourself an option of a supper club. Carnival Legend has a good one too! You can justify the extra $25pp by considering that that meal would be $200 at home or you can feel like you are on a luxury ship. That can't be beat for $25!

The Royal Viking Sun had the best food and with one day's notice they would make you anything you wanted...yup..anything..Alas they are no more..probably spent too much on food.

Next would be Seabourn (who bought their ships...well actually Cunard and then CArnival.) Who also owns etc etc.

I've been on Royal Caribbean, Celebrity, Carnival, Regal (Regal Empress) and NCL. Now, keep in mind that when I went on Celebrity, it was in 1991, long before the modern days of Celebrity cruises (it used to be owned by Chandris, and is now owned by the same company as Royal Caribbean). The last time I was on Royal Caribbean was in 1992, the last time on Carnival was in 2000, Regal Empress in 1993, and last time on NCL was last year.

Overall, I would say Carnival, then Royal Caribbean, then NCL, then Regal Empress, and then Celebrity (in the old days of Celebrity I thought the food was horrible and so did everyone I was with on the cruise...8 other people!).

To be more specific, I don't care for the buffets on cruises, except MAYBE breakfast, as breakfast is breakfast, for some items. So all of them are equal as far as I'm concerned for buffet. Best pizza for me was on Carnival. And I am from NYC so I am picky with pizza. Best desserts were on Royal Caribbean, but again, last time was 13 years ago! Best BBQ food (burgers, hot dogs, chicken, etc.) at lunchtime was on NCL. They have poolside BBQs with these huge huge grills and make chicken, burgers, hot dogs and even ribs! Best room service food was on Carnival, best BLTs in the world! Best drinks, tie between Carnival and NCL. NCL has the best fresh fruit smoothies with alcohol, Carnival has good unique drinks and they are strong too. Best healthy cuisine was the Cooking Light section of the NCL menus. Didn't care too much for the Nautica Spa cuisine on Carnival so I avoided it. My mom likes it though. Afternoon tea was nice when I went on the Norwegian Sea three years ago but I think they did away with this. They did it real fancy as it should be, with the little sandwiches and scones and stuff. Very nice!

As I said, I did not enjoy the food on Celebrity. Regal was good, but not as good as others. Other than Celebrity in 1991, I have never been on a cruise where I did not thoroughly enjoy the food overall. There was always something for everyone, and plenty of it! My favorite place to eat is on a cruiseship!

Bonnie

• 6 years later...

Archived