Puerto Vallarta port taxi?

#1Nanna

I have a question regarding taxi transportation in Puerto Vallarta. From what I understand there is a difference between the white port taxis and private taxis on the outside of the port. We are thinking of taking a port taxi to the Malecon but I am not sure how to arrange transportation back to the ship. We do not want to travel on the bus.

Thanks for your help!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The white port taxis will likely cost you a little more than the regular yellow taxis just outside of the port area. Just tell the cabbie 'Malecon' or Hotel Rosita (a hotel at the north end of the Malecon); and be sure to agree on fare before you get into the cab.

With regard to getting back to the port, same thing in reverse. there are plenty of cabs around the Malecon, and you simply hail one for your return to the port / ship; again, agreeing to the fare before getting into the cab.

It's as simple as that.. enjoy your cruise, we love the Mexican Riviera! :)

So lets talk about all the options here in PV. At the port you have the so-called white port taxis (actually some of the local taxis are also white). These port taxis have an exclusive franchise (or contract) with the Federal Government to provide services at the port (Marina) and also at the airport. But because they are not local taxis they are not permitted to pick up fares anywhere else but the port or airport....which means when they take you someplace it is a one-way trip (for them). The fares are based on a formal structure but are generally at least twice the cost of a local taxi.

If you want a local taxi (they can be Yellow or some are also white) you need to walk out of the port to the main road (this is the road that runs between the port and Walmart (if you want to know its called Avendia Francisco Medina Ascencio (but nobody knows this name)). You can either try to flag down a taxi or find them parked in various places (including the front of Walmart) and they will take you wherever you want to go. But, if they think you are cruisers, their price is likely to go up....but it will still be relatively inexpensive (we are talking about no more than $7.

Another option is to walk out to the same main road, turn right, stop at the bus stop, and pay $7.5 Pesos (about 40 cents) to get into town (just take any bus that has "Centro" in the windshield. The final newer option is to use Uber (Yes they are now in PV). Uber is new here, we have personally used them a few times in the past couple of weeks, and we have been very pleased. It works like Uber anywhere so you do need the app and must have phone service. In most cases they seem to charge about 1/2 the local taxi prices.

And the final option is to walk :). I do this most days (for my exercise) and its about an hour (for a fast walker) from the Port into Centro (downtown).

Hank

So lets talk about all the options here in PV. At the port you have the so-called white port taxis (actually some of the local taxis are also white). These port taxis have an exclusive franchise (or contract) with the Federal Government to provide services at the port (Marina) and also at the airport. But because they are not local taxis they are not permitted to pick up fares anywhere else but the port or airport....which means when they take you someplace it is a one-way trip (for them). The fares are based on a formal structure but are generally at least twice the cost of a local taxi.

If you want a local taxi (they can be Yellow or some are also white) you need to walk out of the port to the main road (this is the road that runs between the port and Walmart (if you want to know its called Avendia Francisco Medina Ascencio (but nobody knows this name)). You can either try to flag down a taxi or find them parked in various places (including the front of Walmart) and they will take you wherever you want to go. But, if they think you are cruisers, their price is likely to go up....but it will still be relatively inexpensive (we are talking about no more than $7.

Another option is to walk out to the same main road, turn right, stop at the bus stop, and pay $7.5 Pesos (about 40 cents) to get into town (just take any bus that has "Centro" in the windshield. The final newer option is to use Uber (Yes they are now in PV). Uber is new here, we have personally used them a few times in the past couple of weeks, and we have been very pleased. It works like Uber anywhere so you do need the app and must have phone service. In most cases they seem to charge about 1/2 the local taxi prices.

And the final option is to walk :). I do this most days (for my exercise) and its about an hour (for a fast walker) from the Port into Centro (downtown).

Hank

My husband and I enjoy walking and an hour from port to downtown sounds like a good walk for us. Is it a pretty straight shot from the port to downtown or will we need directions along the way?

My husband and I enjoy walking and an hour from port to downtown sounds like a good walk for us. Is it a pretty straight shot from the port to downtown or will we need directions along the way?

I do that walk most mornings (daily exercise) and it takes approximately 1 hour (give or take a few minutes depending on your speed) to the beginning of the Malecon. You do not need directions, but need to use some caution on some sections of the sidewalks the first half mile after leaving the port. You need to get out to the main road (this is where you will see the Galleria Mall, Liverpool Department Store, Sams and Walmart, across the road. Since they use several exits from the port (depending on your pier) I cannot give you exact distances to that main road...but you can't miss it. In case you want exact (and useless info) it is Route 200 and called Blvd Franciso Medina Ascencio. Once you get to this road, turn right (the side closest to the port is the best side for walking into town) and start walking. When on narrow sections keep to your right (away from the traffic) as there are a lot of buses that come close to the curb...with side view mirrors too darn close to the left side of the sidewalks. Watch your step (the biggest danger walking in Puerto Vallarta is falling off a sidewalk). There are a few short stretches where there is a narrow upper walkway...or you can step down to a lower walkway...and we recommend the lower options which keep you further away from the traffic. During your walk there will be numerous places you can stop including the new La Isle Shopping Center (it has a very modern design). There are also numerous Oxxo Stores (like our 7-11s) where you can alway stop and buy water or another drink. As you start to enter Puerto Vallarta you will pass numerous little shops (and some restaurants) where everyone is friendly :).

I should mention that there are also a couple of Starbucks along your route, a Kentucky Fried Chicken, Burger King....and of course Walmart and Sams across the street from the port. This is the real Mexico :). Once you get to the Malecon one of the first things you will see (on your left) is Diamonds International (they open early for cruise ships....and not sure anyone else ever shops there), another Starbucks and even McDonalds. As one of who loves living in PV we suggest skipping these American inventions and trying some of our more Mexican cafes/restaurants. Just about everyone will accept US Dollars (but you might get change in Pesos) but you will generally get a better exchange rate by getting some Pesos from an ATM at your first port.

As far as using credit cards (Visa and MC are widely accepted although you do need to check) I would make a suggestion. Do not let your credit card out of your sight. Most places have their card readers within sight, and many restaurants are now using portable card readers they can bring to your table. There is a little too much credit card fraud here...so I feel more comfy watching over my cards.

One other thing about the walk. The sun can be quite strong here (which is why I like to take my walks around 6am) so where a hat :).

Hank

Hank,

Thank you so much for this information! Since we are in port from 8-8, we have plenty of time to do this walk. I walk a lot for exercise, too, so this will be a way to walk off some of the cruise calories!:D I loved the details you shared.

Hank,

Thank you so much for this information! Since we are in port from 8-8, we have plenty of time to do this walk. I walk a lot for exercise, too, so this will be a way to walk off some of the cruise calories!:D I loved the details you shared.

I should have said "wear" a hat :). And if walking towards town in the morning you will also want some decent sunglasses as the sun will be in your face for much of the walk.

Hank

I should have said "wear" a hat :). And if walking towards town in the morning you will also want some decent sunglasses as the sun will be in your face for much of the walk.

Hank

Thanks again, Hank! We will be there a week from today and the weather forecast shows 87 degrees! It's 16 degrees here today with the high of 28. Can't wait for some warm sun in my face!:cool:

• 3 months later...

Take a yellow taxi from the WalMart/Sams parking lot which is literally across the street from one of the piers. They are cheaper than the white taxis inside the pier fences.

A buddy of mine paid $8 each way for a white one from the pier to downtown (which is very close).

We took a yellow taxi for an approximate 25 minute drive to Old Town and paid the same price-$8 one way.

• 4 months later...