Fog in Galveston?

nlktx49

Has anyone who has been on a cruise out of Galveston lately experienced any delays due to fog? I know this time of year there is always that risk, but it's our favorite time to cruise. We leave on Sunday, Feb. 4, on the Breeze.

We just returned form the Carnival Breeze last Sunday 1/28. Ship was delayed due to fog. We debarked as fast as possible which got us off the ship roughly 1:30 pm. We missed our flights and ended up a the holiday inn near the IAH airport. Decent hotel with a great restaurant and bar attached. We made the best out of it with 2 little ones in tow.

Has anyone who has been on a cruise out of Galveston lately experienced any delays due to fog? I know this time of year there is always that risk, but it's our favorite time to cruise. We leave on Sunday, Feb. 4, on the Breeze.

We are under the influence of a cool front today so there won’t be much, if any fog today. High today low to mid 50s

Forecast for tomorrow is for warmer weather, low 70s so some fog is a possibility.

Galveston is more crowded than normal by Mardi Gras attendees!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

First time we sailed out of Galveston on the Caribbean Princess in Nov of '15, a huge fog bank kept her and the rest of the ships anchored in the gulf.

We were supposed to leave on Sunday for a 7 day cruise to Grand Cayman, Costa Maya and Cozumel.

Didn't board until Monday and had to miss Grand Cayman (they said the seas were too rough for the tenders, but I really think it was the lost day) so they took us to Belize instead.

Gave us each a $25 OBC for the "inconvenience", which of course didn't cover the cost of the hotel we had to get for the night (and no, insurance wouldn't cover it since it was "weather related")

We sail out of Galveston in 3 weeks, so hopefully everything is fine!

We are under the influence of a cool front today so there won’t be much, if any fog today. High today low to mid 50s

Forecast for tomorrow is for warmer weather, low 70s so some fog is a possibility.

Galveston is more crowded than normal by Mardi Gras attendees!

Breeze is at the dock this AM.

• 2 weeks later...

I guess my question is what is Plan B? Yesterday Liberty of the Seas was delayed by fog coming into port. They moved boarding up to 5:30 that afternoon with a scheduled departure of 8:30. So.....how do they handle the dinner hour? Is it an automatic "My Time" dining since there is no way you can make your scheduled seating? Under normal circumstances, the kitchen staff would be there preparing your dinner while you are boarding. That would make me think that the dining room would be open but I don't know how they would handle the seating. Muster drill has to take place too before you leave port. Also wondered about those who were leaving the ship so late that day as they did not get into port until afternoon. Were they offered a light lunch? Maybe I should stick with what I was always told about traveling.....never leave home without food in your backpack! We'll be taking part in the great adventure in a couple weeks & expect fog delays. Staying over until Monday just to have a relaxing departure in case there is fog again.

This time of the year it’s always a crap shoot in Galveston, last weekend the fog was pretty bad. The weekend before, no problems.

If the cold fronts are strong enough to blow through all the way to the Gulf of Mexico, there is no fog. If the fronts are weak and stall and back up as warm fronts, there will be lots of fog.

Some have been posting here on the RCI subforum that the past day or two in Galveston has been a complete hot mess for em/debarkation due to fog. The port was chaos as well.

We are supposed to embark out of Galveston this Saturday.....crossing fingers for a better time than those there currently!

Trin1103, check the weather in Houston and Galveston at ABC13.com or at Click2houston.com. They both cover the weather for fog in Galveston on an almost hourly basis and both have apps for your phone and tablet.

Good luck!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

Fog can occur,  and if it’s 17 days in a year like above post says , what are chances of being on your day of cruise . Pilots who decide  when to move ships in fog have been under fire from cruise lines . A resolution between  cruise lines and pilots in favor of movement in fog has occurred since early last year . This of course except under extreme  circumstances. 

Make your plans and enjoy your cruise . 

Besides it happens everywhere like Florida last couple of weeks . 

Edited by ssb

Beautiful pictures!!! Hoping it will look like that when he arrive back in port March 31 or I might be stressing out to catch our flight home. I thought I did my homework but, must of missed the posting on fog.