Viking Extension - Prague

mskaufman

If you are comfortable walking about at night alone, I would skip that one and take the Terezin tour. You have to get transport to Terezin and it's worth seeing, if you've never been to a Concentration camp before. Prague is very safe to walk around at night and it's something you can do your self on a self guided tour.

Does the Viking Prague at night include a river cruise? I was thinking it was a bus tour only.

The Viking Prague at Night is bus only. However, I did see something from another vendor that is a boat ride and would consider that over the bus tour.

The Viking Prague at Night is bus only. However, I did see something from another vendor that is a boat ride and would consider that over the bus tour.

I would do Terezine. You can easily do Prague at night on your own. Public transportation is easy to use and nothing is too far away. We took public transportation to the castle and walked back. Also, if you want a tour that would get you out and about at night with a focus on night time photos...check out Johnny's Photo Tours. He's amazing and he will help you get photos that you will NEVER forget...even with a point and shoot.

I would do Terezine. You can easily do Prague at night on your own. Public transportation is easy to use and nothing is too far away. We took public transportation to the castle and walked back. Also, if you want a tour that would get you out and about at night with a focus on night time photos...check out Johnny's Photo Tours. He's amazing and he will help you get photos that you will NEVER forget...even with a point and shoot.

Thanks!!

I agree with the people who said that Prague on your own in the old city is very easy and I felt 100% safe. Hotels in Prague are downright cheap, and the one we stayed at on our own was very very nice. I think I spent $60 a night with a super breakfast including champagne on Hotwire. Since Prague is on a river, there were many "river boats" that looked like cruise ships for local tours, that I imagine that there might be some dinner cruises. However, I would suspect that you might be in the minority as an English speaker. That said, my experience was that anyone under the age of 40 probably speaks decent English.

JC

Does anyone have information on the included "Panoramic Prague" excursion. That is, how much bus vs. walking and what are the hi-light stops. The reason is we really enjoy walking or city tours by bike, we would like to book one on our own, but don't want to overlap too much with the included excursion. If the independent walking tours cover the same things as the included viking tour, then we will skip booking an independent tour. I have the same question about Vienna and have posted a different thread on that.

thanks.

Does anyone have information on the included "Panoramic Prague" excursion. That is, how much bus vs. walking and what are the hi-light stops. The reason is we really enjoy walking or city tours by bike, we would like to book one on our own, but don't want to overlap too much with the included excursion. If the independent walking tours cover the same things as the included viking tour, then we will skip booking an independent tour. I have the same question about Vienna and have posted a different thread on that.

thanks.

Hello!

During our Viking Prague extension in 2015, our panoramic tour had more walking that bus riding. The majority was though old town, Jewish quarter, Charles bridge, little Venice, etc all on foot. The bus was mainly used to get us up to the Prague Castle and then back.

Hope this helps!

Jeff

Hello!

During our Viking Prague extension in 2015, our panoramic tour had more walking that bus riding. The majority was though old town, Jewish quarter, Charles bridge, little Venice, etc all on foot. The bus was mainly used to get us up to the Prague Castle and then back.

Hope this helps!

Jeff

Yes, this helps, thanks. I am hoping for more walking. sounds like it hits the hi lights and an independent walking tour might cover the same things. Maybe we will instead spend our money on a dinner cruise or something...

Yes, this helps, thanks. I am hoping for more walking. sounds like it hits the hi lights and an independent walking tour might cover the same things. Maybe we will instead spend our money on a dinner cruise or something...

We really enjoyed the trip to Kutna Hora that was offered by Viking as well. Highly recommend it, if you have any interest in it.

Enjoy!

Jeff

Our panoramic tour took us first up to the Prague Castle, and then dropped us off on the shore of the river, where we walked along for a while, then crossed the Charles Bridge into Old Prague. Saw the Astronomical Clock and then ended at the Jewish Quarter. You could then board the bus back to the hotel, but we decided to see the entire Jewish Quarter. We then paid the admission, and took the self guided tour of the various synagogues and the cemetery. For us this was definitely one of the high points of the Prague trip. After touring the Jewish Quarter, we took the (rather long) walk back to the Hilton. It was a long, but really good day.

A good walking tour that we did started at the Municipal House, right off of Republic Square - beautiful building. We then walked down Na Prikope Street, which was a very nice shopping street to Wencelas Square. Walked up one side of the long square and then down the other side. There is a very nice museum at the top of the square that we did not go into, but I heard it was worthwhile. If you do the museum, and stop somewhere for lunch, and do a little shopping, this walk would occupy most of a day. Good luck. Prague is a great city to walk.

• 1 month later...

Been on Viking Rhine and Danube Cruises. Prague by Nite by far worst excursion! Terrible. Rude guide, purely a bus tour that goes 40 mph past sites. Don’t waste time or money. Walk Old Town yourself. Safe and easy. Close to hotels. At most 15 min easy walk.

Panoramic Prague great. Do it first to get lay of land, then explore on own.

Terezine was excellent tho depressing. If you haven’t been to a concentration camp, you really need to experience it

if you go during summer, be prepared for massive crowns in Old Town, esp during day. And I mean “massive”. It’s like Disneyland. If had to do again, would do spring or fall to avoid crowds ( and normally crowds don’t bother me)

Final thought, have dinner at Cafe Imperial, Old Town, Prague.Highly recommended by a renown chief friend of mine. you can go to their website and make reservations from home.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

• Like 1

We are doing the Cities of Light Viking River Cruise at the end of September. We are ending in Prague and doing an additional 4 days on our own there. I notice that Viking offers a tour of Lobkowicz Palace with "elegant lunch and private concert" -- has anyone done that? Is it worthwhile? Or can we see that Palace on our own? Of course, then we would miss out on the elegant lunch and private concert! They also offer a "Prague Folklore Dinner" excursion. Anyone done that one? Do you recommend it? We have reservations at Agnes Residence Hotel in Old Town, and it sounds like the staff there is fantastic about suggesting itineraries. Any suggestions from any of you? We will likely get an overview of Prague from the Panoramic Prague excursion which is included, so what would you suggest delving into more deeply? Thank you for all suggestions and advice.

if you go during summer, be prepared for massive crowns in Old Town, esp during day. And I mean “massive”. It’s like Disneyland. If had to do again, would do spring or fall to avoid crowds ( and normally crowds don’t bother me)

Final thought, have dinner at Cafe Imperial, Old Town, Prague.Highly recommended by a renown chief friend of mine. you can go to their website and make reservations from home.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

+1 on Cafe Imperial. It was one of the finest dinners we have ever had, and the decor and service were amazing.

We were in Prague the very end of October, and it was very, very crowded (overrun) with tourists. While the architecture is beautiful, the crowds were a bit of a turn off for me.

+1 on Cafe Imperial. It was one of the finest dinners we have ever had, and the decor and service were amazing.

We were in Prague the very end of October, and it was very, very crowded (overrun) with tourists. While the architecture is beautiful, the crowds were a bit of a turn off for me.

Anything there for non meat eaters?

• 1 year later...