Rome - How to spend one day post cruise before flight

CCJack

We are staying 3 days in Rome before our cruise out of Civitavecchia. On the return we could not book a flight out at a decent rate on the day we disembark. So we are booked on a 7 am flight the next day. I am thinking we don't want to book a hotel in central Rome for less than 24 hour stay. Instead likely we will transfer to an airport hotel and just hang out.... Any advice here, anything to do for an afternoon? It will be my wife and I and 4 young adult children (24, 21 17,16). thanks.

There are several airport hotels. The Hilton (mentioned by keith above) is a favorite with many because it is walkable from the airport and it does have a limited shuttle into Rome.

There's not much to do near the airport per se, but if you are interested in ancient Rome, the ruins of Ostia Antica are a quick cab ride away -- Ostia was the port of ancient Rome and its ruins are very extensive, rather like a Pompeii.

You may find after being in Rome earlier that there are things you didn't get to do in the city and so I'd keep the time flexible in case you want to return for the afternoon and perhaps dinner. Dinner around the airport area is pretty much limited to your hotel or getting a cab and going further abroad....

You could do what we have done. Arrange a full day tour...customized to work with things you do or don't do during your pre-cruise Rome time. Have that tour pick you up at the port, and drop you at the FCO Hilton.

Highly recommend the wonderful Rome in Limo for this.

We stayed at the Hilton twice. One time we took their complimentary shuttles into Rome and back which worked out fine. The second time post-cruise, we took a cab to Ostia Antica from Hilton. It was amazing and you can possibly spend hours there! Then we took the train into Rome (by mistake) and then another train back to the airport. If you want to go to Rome from the airport, the train station is right there, easy ride. We had lounge access so dinner wasn't a problem but you can also walk to the airport and see what they have available. We were ready to walk back to the airport the next morning for our early flight home but Hilton provided the free shuttle again to save our long walk back.

Ostia Antica sounds like something I would really enjoy. However, our teens might be all worn out after 10 days of history and sightseeing. Perhaps my wife and I go and leave the kids in the Hilton to relax. Does anyone know if you walk into FCO terminal are there some restaurants before security or are they mostly past security?