I Don’t Cruise ...

Toryhere

That's an opinion. But what if Hapag Lloyd uses that term because they haven't yet caught on to the fact that the definition is changing as more and more people are thiinking of cruising as being on a huge ship with water parks and all that sort of thing?

This is the luxury cruising board. No one here confuses a luxury ship with a mass market ship. We all know the difference but the bottom line is they are all cruises.

It’s funny that when people accuse others of being judgmental they are also being judgmental in making that assertion.

It seems that people are really scared these days of showing discernment. They also seem to think that if you praise one thing you must be scorning another.

I know people who love the big cruise ships and who turn their noses up at the idea of the luxury ships, not because they are expensive but because they don’t have all the amusements that the large ships have.

What they are really saying is that small luxury ships are not for them. I’m saying that large mass market ships are not for me. I’m not saying that anyone who sails on them is inferior, but that I find the idea as not meeting the standards of elegance and sophistication that I and many others think are important.

As I said in the last 30 years or so the term “cruising” has come to be defined as something that is closer to what is offered on the big mass market ships. If I tell someone I’m going on a cruise, I always have to take a lot of time explaining that I’m actually travelling on a 6 star yacht which has very few of the attributes of what most people would call “cruising”.

Even if I said I was going luxury cruising, most people would just think that I was going in a bigger cabin on a large ship.

That is why I thought it would be good to use a different word to describe a voyage on a luxury ship.

You are absolutely on the right track, and I think you are not alone. Hell, I'm with you.

Also note the new line coming soon; "Virgin Voyages." I'm interested to see what kind of experience they roll out.

There should be some kind of distinction between a week on the Royal Behemoth and something less, er just something less that is actually something more.

I'll go with "voyaging."

I am coming to think that the much of the reaction by posters on this thread is a cultural thing. Where I come from there is a lot more banter, archness and irony behind our communications. Thus, if you announce to someone that you are going on a cruise, they will feign horror, because cruises have a bad reputation here for being the preserve of the yobbo. It's all part of ensuring that people know what you are really talking about.

I agree with you that Sea Dream is not luxury cruising. I'd say it was luxury yachting.:) But, I think it would be a great idea if there was a thread here defining what we, as customers, think is ''luxury''.

It so happens that I did go on a mainstream crusie ship in the Med back in 2000. It was an Italian ship, so it was a blast, because it was filled mostly with europeans out on the razzle.

But I wouldn't do it again. One can enjoy some things ironically once, but after that they pall.

I suspect that you are from the U.K. (not a put-down - my wonderful husband was born and raised in England) and I understand that words mean different things to people in various parts of the world. While I don't like to use the term "luxury cruise" when friends ask me where we are going on vacation, if they misunderstand and think that we are going on a 3,000 passenger ship we tell them that the ship is small, etc.

We will be visiting NCL's new ship (NCL Bliss) in Seattle for three days in late May. This will let us see what the new mainstream cruise lines are like. It holds 4,000 passengers and we'll likely be glad to return to luxury cruising.

You are absolutely on the right track, and I think you are not alone. Hell, I'm with you.

Also note the new line coming soon; "Virgin Voyages." I'm interested to see what kind of experience they roll out.

There should be some kind of distinction between a week on the Royal Behemoth and something less, er just something less that is actually something more.

I'll go with "voyaging."

Cuervosar, I just read some of your prior posts from mainstream lines and had a good laugh at some of them (e.g., on threads outlining what to bring, you commented that when you travel you bring your passport, your lawyer’s phone number, $5000 in small bills, assorted weaponry, and perhaps a yukolele . . .). If you ever do a luxury cruise, please declare your intentions on the boards here so if we are on the same one, we can seek you out for a drink, and perhaps talk about soda-smuggling yobboes :)

As for Virgin Voyages, I was curious and looked them up ( start in 2020).The adults only aspect is very appealing, the 2800 passenger load is not, pricing is not set yet (so unclear if it will be luxury even if it will be a “voyage” ship) and I worry perhaps I won’t be allowed on unless I secure flowing hair and DH gets a tattoo:

https://www.virginvoyages.com/

I suspect that you are from the U.K. (not a put-down - my wonderful husband was born and raised in England) and I understand that words mean different things to people in various parts of the world. While I don't like to use the term "luxury cruise" when friends ask me where we are going on vacation, if they misunderstand and think that we are going on a 3,000 passenger ship we tell them that the ship is small, etc.

We will be visiting NCL's new ship (NCL Bliss) in Seattle for three days in late May. This will let us see what the new mainstream cruise lines are like. It holds 4,000 passengers and we'll likely be glad to return to luxury cruising.

TC2, you can certainly see a few relevant things on a mainstream three-day cruise, but it will not necessarily be a fair representation of the experience if you were on a longer cruise (when there are less children and more quiet retirees) . I was surprised a couple years ago at how civilized Holland America was (other than at the pool), especially out of a Neptune Suite (not quite SWS, but very spacious and with special services).

TC2, you can certainly see a few relevant things on a mainstream three-day cruise, but it will not necessarily be a fair representation of the experience if you were on a longer cruise (when there are less children and more quiet retirees) . I was surprised a couple years ago at how civilized Holland America was (other than at the pool), especially out of a Neptune Suite (not quite SWS, but very spacious and with special services).

Really appreciate your comments and agree 200%! The chance of us ever booking a cruise on a mainstream cruise line lies somewhere between slim and none:halo:

I'll go with "voyaging."

:)(y)(y)

This is the luxury cruising board. No one here confuses a luxury ship with a mass market ship. We all know the difference but the bottom line is they are all cruises.

I am sure that no one here would confuse a luxury ship and a mass market ship.

My point is that there are those out there in non-cruise critic world who don't know the difference.

My point is that there are those out there in non-cruise critic world who don't know the difference.

You might be surprised. In my opinion, this board adds to the confusion by mixing in luxury with premium plus. There are many, many members of CC that do not know all the differences and nuances of staying in a luxury section of a mainstream cruise line, sailing on a luxury ship and which cruise lines are really luxury and which are not. It is a good thing that we all are here to give them our opinions and advice - even though we sometime have differences of opinion.

Cuervosar, not sure what your reference to Virgin Voyages implies but it is my understanding that it will be an over the top mainstream cruise line. Do you have a different impression?

And how exactly is your contention that you "don't cruise" supposed to educate them? Whether it's a luxury brand or a mass market brand a cruise is a cruise is a cruise.

So what? There are lots of people out there who don't know the difference between a $6 bottle of "house red" and a $30 bottle of Pinot Noir, but saying "I don't drink wine" wouldn't help them with telling the difference, nor would it help them understand why you say you don't drink wine while holding a glass of wine.

Edited by calliopecruiser
spelling

So what? There are lots of people out there who don't know the difference between a $6 bottle of "house red" and a $30 bottle of Pinot Noir, but saying "I don't drink wine" wouldn't help them with telling the difference, nor would it help them understand why you say you don't drink wine while holding a glass of wine.

A great example

Thank you for assisting my argument.

If I was holding a glass of red wine, I would not be saying I don’t drink wine. I’d probably say “I don’t drink plonk.” In that case, society has invented a word to differentiate an inferior product from a superior one.

My view is that we need a word to differentiate different kind of sea voyages, because the word “cruise” now the “plonk” of the ocean going travel industry.

The whole history of human intellectual development is based upon creating new expressions to express small distinctions between different things and concepts. The English language is so glorious because it allows us to present many shades of meaning. Limiting our vocabulary is akin to limiting our intellectual horizons.

A great example

Yes it is a great example of why my argument is sound. There is a vocabulary that allows us to differentiate between good and cheap wine. There should also be a simple term that allows to make the distinction between the upmarket cruise lines and the mass market ones.

“Luxury cruising” is a bit lame, because, as many posters on threads all over CC often tell us, what some people call “luxury” is really not top drawer at all.

a simple term that allows to make the distinction between the upmarket cruise lines and the mass market ones..

What does "upmarket" mean? Again, the term is no more understandable than "luxury". It's a term defined solely by marketers and so means only what THEY want it to mean, not what anyone else would describe it. Like "luxury cruise"......There are no set standards to define that term.

So, we're back in the same incomprehensible state of saying "I don't drink wine" while holding a glass of wine.

let's face it, the op is still stuck in downton abbey, so very worried about having everyone understand how upper crust he is. I guess it's a british thing. :rolleyes: The majority of us just don't care what others think! :cool:

bingo!!!!!!

I've really enjoyed the last few posts but don't want to be too quick to judge. I've seen plenty of snobs in the world - from various countries. Being married to a Brit that is definitely more "proper" than I am, I see both sides of the picture. I've been to large dinners in England (west of England) where I am the only non-Brit and we were all having a "jolly good time". We have attended things in the states where the people were way too stuffy - even for him.

Agree that what you call a cruise or a voyage is pretty meaningless and I don't care what others think most of the time. Sometimes I prefer that people think that we are cruising on a lower level ship lest they categorize us in some way.

Sometimes when asked questions on CC about an upper suite that we have stayed in and I respond -- I get all kinds of negative comments about being a snob, etc.. So, trying not to judge - just trying to understand where the TS is coming from with some of the posts. I always look for common ground which sometimes is not attainable. Even wripro have agreed on things throughout the years and disagreed on other things. I have no reason to judge him - just accept that we see some things differently.

I've really enjoyed the last few posts but don't want to be too quick to judge. I've seen plenty of snobs in the world - from various countries. Being married to a Brit that is definitely more "proper" than I am, I see both sides of the picture. I've been to large dinners in England (west of England) where I am the only non-Brit and we were all having a "jolly good time". We have attended things in the states where the people were way too stuffy - even for him.

Agree that what you call a cruise or a voyage is pretty meaningless and I don't care what others think most of the time. Sometimes I prefer that people think that we are cruising on a lower level ship lest they categorize us in some way.

Sometimes when asked questions on CC about an upper suite that we have stayed in and I respond -- I get all kinds of negative comments about being a snob, etc.. So, trying not to judge - just trying to understand where the TS is coming from with some of the posts. I always look for common ground which sometimes is not attainable. Even wripro have agreed on things throughout the years and disagreed on other things. I have no reason to judge him - just accept that we see some things differently.

We certainly do. And this is one of them. I don't think this has anything to do with country of origin. It has to do with a superior attitude which allows someone to convince himself he is not doing anything as plebeian as taking a cruise. "I mean, people on Carnival and RSSC "cruise." I could never put myself in the same category as them so I need to come up with a more fitting description of how I view my very important self."

• Like 1

We certainly do. And this is one of them. I don't think this has anything to do with country of origin. It has to do with a superior attitude which allows someone to convince himself he is not doing anything as plebeian as taking a cruise. "I mean, people on Carnival and RSSC "cruise." I could never put myself in the same category as them so I need to come up with a more fitting description of how I view my very important self."

Okay -- so we disagree on the country of origin but do agree about people on Carnival (guess that we are both snobs:evilsmile:). Hopefully you meant "Carnival and Royal Caribbean"? not "RSSC" which is Regent Seven Seas Cruises.

What does "upmarket" mean? Again, the term is no more understandable than "luxury". It's a term defined solely by marketers and so means only what THEY want it to mean, not what anyone else would describe it. Like "luxury cruise"......There are no set standards to define that term.

So, we're back in the same incomprehensible state of saying "I don't drink wine" while holding a glass of wine.

Upmarket is quite a precise term it means to appeal to the more affluent and discerning consumer. That is what the ''luxury'' lines do.

I could use the term ''upmarket wine'', and everyone would know what I meant.

I really enjoy how some people seem to want to show themselves to be superior by accusing others of trying to be so. Such inverted snobbery is a modern vice which abhors the pursuit of excellence in the mistaken belief that somehow aspiration to better things is detrimental to those who aspire to a more mass-market product. Such thinking is the enemy to the expansion of human civilisation, knowledge, art and language. If we left things to the inverted snobs, we'd be still in the Dark Ages. As Bernard Mandeville pointed out in his Fable of the Bees, societal improvement arises mostly from man's striving for pleasure and luxury more than it comes about through vthe virtues.

I wonder if you've ever heard of the concept of going on safari the to see wild animals up close, but staying in luxuiosly appointed tents, with 5 star. Someone invented the term ''glamping'' for the experience. It is a wonderful term because it immediately shows the difference between ordinary camping and the luxurious alternative. That is not to say that one is superior to the other, but that they are different.

Okay -- so we disagree on the country of origin but do agree about people on Carnival (guess that we are both snobs:evilsmile:). Hopefully you meant "Carnival and Royal Caribbean"? not "RSSC" which is Regent Seven Seas Cruises.

I think you are right about country of origin. It has more to do with a liking for the subtleties of language. The point is that every time someone makes a distinction, no matter how fine, human knowledge grows.

It is not really about those taking voyages on ''luxury'' ships being better than those who travel on ''mass market'' ships. It is about admitting that the two types of holidays, whilst having some things in common, are different.