I Don’t Cruise ...

Toryhere

Maybe he will change his mind only when the luxury lines change their names to Seabourn Voyages Line, Silversea Voyages, Regent Seven Seas Voyages and Crystal Voyages. Then we'll all know we're not on a cruise like the riff raff.

Great post (except the "riff raff part") - hadn't thought of that!

Great post (except the "riff raff part") - hadn't thought of that!

I got it to 100 posts. Thank you Travelcat for your good work. You are the class of the field.

It’s sad so many others seem so afraid of cutting a dash in the world

You keep taking the bait!

How many times are you going to say it before you realize that others don't agree with you and won't change their minds?

It’s they who are taking the bait.

And if everybody gave up in the face of disagreement, then we’d still be living in caves.

:D

Honi soit qui mal y pense

Maybe he will change his mind only when the luxury lines change their names to Seabourn Voyages Line, Silversea Voyages, Regent Seven Seas Voyages and Crystal Voyages. Then we'll all know we're not on a cruise like the riff raff.

Its interesting that the new luxury lines are not emphasising “cruising” at all. There’s Voyages to Antiquity on stream now and the new Ritz Carlton line which seems to be trying very hard to differentiate itself by eschewing the idea of “cruising”by calling it’s ships “yachts”.

Interesting too that Conde Nast, purveyor of holiday advice to the well-travelled calls it’s travel service “Conde Nast Voyages”.

So I wouldn’t be surprised if Seabourn, Crystal, etc didn’t in the future change their names to remove “cruises” if they want to stay in the ultra luxury class. But maybe they will be happy to move towards the premium category. Some former Seabourn people have told me they think that Seabourn has already moved towards premium status with the introduction of the bigger ships and such gimmicks as the Retreat.

But the lines themselves don’t define things in isolation. We still hear about coach companies, though the coaches are all now buses or charabancs.

In navy parlance a ‘cruiser’ is a large ship that is capable of long term self sustained voyages, without the need for support vessels. It is smaller than a battleship. Going down the size scale, a destroyer is smaller than a cruiser. Smaller than a destroyer is a frigate, and then the corvette. As you go down the size scale, the amenities get smaller and fewer, but the smaller vessels can get into different harbours while the larger vessels are built to be mostly at sea and can only access the biggest, deepest harbours.

Perhaps we could call the smaller ships ‘frigates’?

;)

Sent from my iPad using Forums

There is a difference between a yacht and a ship (just as there is a difference between a boat and a ship). The terms are not really interchangeable.

Thinking back to the subject of this thread...... we refer to the ships that we sail on as "cruise ships". We don't call them "voyage ships". And, if I say to a friend that I am going on a voyage - that does not necessarily mean that we are going on a ship - it could mean that we are going on an airplane (depending upon which dictionary definition you use and in which country it was written).

There is a difference between a yacht and a ship (just as there is a difference between a boat and a ship). The terms are not really interchangeable.

Thinking back to the subject of this thread...... we refer to the ships that we sail on as "cruise ships". We don't call them "voyage ships". And, if I say to a friend that I am going on a voyage - that does not necessarily mean that we are going on a ship - it could mean that we are going on an airplane (depending upon which dictionary definition you use and in which country it was written).

With regard to travel by plane surely one would use the word flight.

I thought the word frigate might act as an anti-snobbery inoculation.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I suspect frigate could be taken either way. It really depends on readers' bias.

I looked up the origin of yacht. Apparently it was originally used either by the Dutch Navy to designate a light and fast sailing ship used in anti-piracy operations or for fast pirate ship.

I don't see the need to develop new labels. By the time various marketing departments are finished, ferry trips will have the same designation.

in navy parlance a ‘cruiser’ is a large ship that is capable of long term self sustained voyages, without the need for support vessels. It is smaller than a battleship. Going down the size scale, a destroyer is smaller than a cruiser. Smaller than a destroyer is a frigate, and then the corvette. As you go down the size scale, the amenities get smaller and fewer, but the smaller vessels can get into different harbours while the larger vessels are built to be mostly at sea and can only access the biggest, deepest harbours.

Perhaps we could call the smaller ships ‘frigates’?

;)

sent from my ipad using forums

:d:d

Maybe at the moment until some marketing guru comes up with the maritime version of the word “glamping” we will just have to settle for “yachting” or “luxe cruising” to differentiate voyages on 5 star only ships from voyages on the huge multi class mass market ships.

Maybe at the moment until some marketing guru comes up with the maritime version of the word “glamping” we will just have to settle for “yachting” or “luxe cruising” to differentiate voyages on 5 star only ships from voyages on the huge multi class mass market ships.

By this logic "flying" should be relegated to Economy Class. First Class on planes could be called "floating."

With regard to travel by plane surely one would use the word flight.

It really depends upon the dictionary - even the ones in the U.S. While I did find definitions that refer to cruising and space, I also found the following at dictionary.com:

noun

1. a course of travel or passage, especially a long journey by water to a distant place.

2. a passage through air or space, as a flight in an airplane or space vehicle.

3. a journey or expedition from one place to another by land.

There are two verbs but really only refer to taking a voyage/travel/journey.

So, in essence, everyone is correct. Speaking for myself, I would say "I am going on a voyage" when I am actually "going on a cruise". In my opinion, "voyage" is not specific as evidenced by the different definitions.

It is heartening to observe the respect that posters have on this thread - even though there are some fairly strong disagreements. Wish that all boards were this way!

By this logic "flying" should be relegated to Economy Class. First Class on planes could be called "floating."

If the marketers and the punters can see some value or cachet in rebranding flying to something else, they will.

But flying is more about getting from A to B quickly, so I can’t see how it would be necessary to differentiate different classes of flying as a different activity.

The difference with ships is that people in the most expensive accommodation on a big mass market ship are still “cruising” because of the nature of the ship and the voyage.

This whole issue is not really about class so much as differences in tastes.

It’s about one activity that involves travelling on a ship with 3000 or more others between ports whilst enjoying water slides, rock climbing 47 eating venues and big shows, and another activity that involves travelling on a smaller ship between ports but enjoying the company of others whilst enjoying impeccable service.

The more I think about it, I suspect that the small premium plus ships would also be included with the luxury ships in offering something different to what “cruising” has become associated with in the minds of many people.

Toryhere - once again, we agree on many points but not all. In the U.S., "cruising" is not looked down upon in any way. People realize that there are Carnival/Royal Caribbean type cruises, Princess/Holland America type cruises and luxury type cruises (there are actually many more but these are popular in the U.S.). Few seem to know the difference between premium plus, premium and sometime even luxury. And, when we say that we are going on a "cruise", people are excited for us. I have not experienced anything negative when using the term "cruise".

In my opinion, it is so important to read everything on a cruise line's website site in addition to reading reviews on CC and the boards on CC. The is the only way to get a "feeling" of what the cruise experience will be.

Ok, that really made me bust out laughing here at work. People are going to think I'm crazy, since I'm sitting in the clinic all by myself. ;p

Toryhere - once again, we agree on many points but not all. In the U.S., "cruising" is not looked down upon in any way. People realize that there are Carnival/Royal Caribbean type cruises, Princess/Holland America type cruises and luxury type cruises (there are actually many more but these are popular in the U.S.). Few seem to know the difference between premium plus, premium and sometime even luxury. And, when we say that we are going on a "cruise", people are excited for us. I have not experienced anything negative when using the term "cruise".

In my opinion, it is so important to read everything on a cruise line's website site in addition to reading reviews on CC and the boards on CC. The is the only way to get a "feeling" of what the cruise experience will be.

I have to agree with this. When someone says they are going on a cruise, I don't automatically assume it is on a megaship. I assume they will be floating across the ocean in some sort of accommodations. I don't even care what kind of accommodations they are. I'm more interested in what ports they are hitting, what they will be doing in them, and seeing pictures when they are done.

To each his own. If the OP wants to say he/she doesn't cruise while standing on a ship, we can all look at them like they have 2 heads and go about our own business.

• Like 1

I have to agree with this. When someone says they are going on a cruise, I don't automatically assume it is on a megaship. I assume they will be floating across the ocean in some sort of accommodations. I don't even care what kind of accommodations they are. I'm more interested in what ports they are hitting, what they will be doing in them, and seeing pictures when they are done.

To each his own. If the OP wants to say he/she doesn't cruise while standing on a ship, we can all look at them like they have 2 heads and go about our own business.

It is a cultural thing. As I said above, where I come from “cruising” means travelling on a large ship. It means going to foreign ports but doing the same sort of things you’d do at home.

What I like to hear about when people go on a sea voyage is about the people they met on board, the atmosphere of the ship and the foreign cultures and sights they enjoyed.

Here people who go on “cruises” don’t do that. They tell you about how much they ate and drank and how they visited some chain restaurant or sat on the beach or drove buggies through the mud on an excursion. It’s all about dragging their own culture along with them and avoiding anything foreign.

It is a cultural thing. As I said above, where I come from “cruising” means travelling on a large ship. It means going to foreign ports but doing the same sort of things you’d do at home.

What I like to hear about when people go on a sea voyage is about the people they met on board, the atmosphere of the ship and the foreign cultures and sights they enjoyed.

Here people who go on “cruises” don’t do that. They tell you about how much they ate and drank and how they visited some chain restaurant or sat on the beach or drove buggies through the mud on an excursion. It’s all about dragging their own culture along with them and avoiding anything foreign.

A sweeping generalisation with which I disagree.

Do you really think that tour groups in, for example, St. Petersburg are solely from the luxury cruise lines?

A sweeping generalisation with which I disagree.

Do you really think that tour groups in, for example, St. Petersburg are solely from the luxury cruise lines?

Lol. This whole thread is full of sweeping generations.

I was thinking about this thread today. I am up for an epic voyage - the Odyssey, Voyage of the Dawn Treader, Christopher Columbus. Sure, some of us might die, but it could also be great fun.

I'm not really sure that is a cultural thing. I think it is a personal thing. Some people are foodies. Some people are adrenaline junkies. Some people enjoy their alcohol. Some people like trying new things, and others like the comforts of home. While the circle of people in your life probably enjoy the same things you do, I am sure there are others who live there that enjoy other things. Your paths may not cross just because of your differences in likes.

Personally, if I want to know about the people and culture of a place, I won't be going there on a cruise. A one or two day stop some place isn't going to tell you much beyond the touristy stuff. As a travel nurse, I will take a contract there and stay for several months - then you really get to know the people, the culture, the interesting things that only locals know, and the beauty that you never see on a whirlwind port excursion.

Lol. This whole thread is full of sweeping generations.

I was thinking about this thread today. I am up for an epic voyage - the Odyssey, Voyage of the Dawn Treader, Christopher Columbus. Sure, some of us might die, but it could also be great fun.

How about The Seven Voyages of Sinbad.

Can you wield a scimitar?