NYC Penn station to cruise port. Recent info?

cruisinreunion

hi, we are taking the Amtrak to Penn station for our cruise getting there around 930 on a Sunday morning. I figured the best way to get to the cruise terminal will be by a taxi. Does any one have any better ideas? Uber? Walk? Subway? There will be 5 of us plus luggage for a 12 night cruise so we would need two cars. What is the approximate cost per taxi/Uber and how long will it take to drive there?

THank you for any info/tips/etc

hi, we are taking the Amtrak to Penn station for our cruise getting there around 930 on a Sunday morning. I figured the best way to get to the cruise terminal will be by a taxi. Does any one have any better ideas? Uber? Walk? Subway? There will be 5 of us plus luggage for a 12 night cruise so we would need two cars. What is the approximate cost per taxi/Uber and how long will it take to drive there?

THank you for any info/tips/etc

There is a taxi stand located outside Penn Station. You get in line, they call you a cab from the street and you hop in. The ride should be around 10 minutes

• Like 1

If they don't have a ton and a half of luggage (soft duffle totes, a bonus) - might even all fit into a Toyota Sienna mini-van taxi for the short ride over to MCT, we assume (since they mentioned walking) - 10 to 15 minutes, unless traffic is jammed around the pier with turnaround congestion.

I was just in NY Penn Station yesterday in the Amtrak area. I saw two areas to get cabs. From the main Amtrak waiting area ( one level below the street) there were two exits to the street - one to 31st St and one to 33rd Street on 8th Ave where taxis were pulling up headed northbound on 8th Ave (this is the direction you want to go to head to the port). Many of the cabs I saw appeared to be small minivans. Unfortunately the escalators were under repair so it was necessary to take the 31st St exit to go up to the street level and the 33rd St entrance to get back down to the waiting area via escalator. Hopefully these repairs will be done soon.

Finding the drive through taxi pickup area in the middle of the enormous station was a bit more confusing. To access this area you had to head East in the station away from 8th Ave, take first set of escalators up to the street level, and keep going straight to what I believe is the "official" taxi stand for Penn Station. If you don't take these escalators up, you will miss the taxi stand completely and just keep walking through the concourse towards 7th Ave one level below the street.

I've traveled through NY Penn at various times all my life - just enough to know how it basically works plus some tricks for sneaking onto as yet unannounced trains to Boston. However, it is still confusing. Yesterday the Amtrak area rest rooms were under construction and I couldn't even easily find the alternates. IMO the easiest thing to do is to exit to 8th Ave to hail a cab.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If you end up on 7th Ave do not fret. The cab makes a right on 31st and you are on your way. Also if you exit on 31st, there is a taxi stand there as well. If you have any questions when you get off the train ask someone. We won't bite.

The women's bathroom has been closed for at least the last 3 months.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Forums mobile app

I can imagine Penn Station being confusing because the different levels hold different railways. I guess you can simply go to NJTransit waiting room or LIRR waiting room for restrooms. I know there is a cabstand on 8Th Avenue by Madison Square Garden entrance.

Also with the construction repair of tracks, tracks normally used are being switched around so you might find yourself departing the train that is not where you think you’ll be. Just follow the signs.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We did a taxi from Penn Station to the cruise terminal about a month ago. I am slightly handicapped so we took the elector up to ground level and then out. We found the taxi stand very quickly and the ride to the terminal was about 15 minutes. (On a Sunday, it will be a lot quicker than that). Our fare was about $13. or so, but again, we spent time in traffic. As long as the guy doesn't take you by way of the Brooklyn Bridge, it isn't that expensive. Wait for a sort of mini van taxi and you all might get in one cab.

Cheers

Len

I was just in NY Penn Station ... cabs I saw appeared to be small minivans ... IMO the easiest thing to do is to exit to 8th Ave to hail a cab.

Our fare was about $13. or so, but again, we spent time in traffic ... it isn't that expensive. Wait for a sort of mini van taxi and you all might get in one cab.

NYC's taxi fleet has been modernizing its approved fleet, include hybrids - SUV, including minivans (Toyota) that can fit 5 to 6 pax plus a reasonable # of luggage.

feat_taxi36__03.jpg

There are also roomy & boxy Ford Transit & the bigger Nissan NV200 (rated up 120 cf of storage) - accessible friendly, although we haven't travel in one of these lately. These are good for 4 passengers (3+1 in front) and luggage, they Nissan looked like a minivan with excellent interior space but 5 + luggage won't fit, not to mention insurance regulations. Might have to wait a bit longer for a cruising & empty Toyota to pull up, or split into 2 taxi instead. Uber-X (or, whatever it's called with the oversized suburban SUV ... should do it, but it's priced accordingly & could be subject to surge pricing) & a longer wait.

Take a good look at the amount & size of the luggage as one of the deciding factors on the better options ... find the best way to exit for 8th Avenue, facing the uptown side toward the cruise terminal would eliminate going around the block & sitting in extra traffic lights.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

I will be leaving from Wilmington AMTRAK to Penn Station on April 23 (2019). I will need a taxi to the Norwegian Cruise Terminal and 

need to board around 1 pm. Is this information still valid?

Yellow cabs? What is the approximate cost for the drive now? 

I will be calling to make my AMTRAK reservation soon.

GL

35 minutes ago, ginawech said:

I will be leaving from Wilmington AMTRAK to Penn Station on April 23 (2019). I will need a taxi to the Norwegian Cruise Terminal and 

need to board around 1 pm. Is this information still valid?

Yellow cabs? What is the approximate cost for the drive now? 

I will be calling to make my AMTRAK reservation soon.

GL

The Information about taxis is still valid. I'm not sure about the current status of any construction at Penn Station. Figure on $15 to $20 including tip. The fare will be dependent on traffic.

Thanks. I booked a train that is scheduled to arrive at 10:45 and then I will have to wait to get

one checked bag. It's a Sunday. I am reading above. So it appears I leave Penn Station at 31st or 

33rd Street to find a taxi or an Uber?

GL

According to the Amtrak website, the Acela and Northeast regional trains don’t offer checked luggage.

If you can’t manage your luggage, tell the conductor that you will need a red cap when you arrive at New York Penn Station.  The red cap will get you and all your stuff to the cab stand and you tip him for that service.  The Acela and Northeast regional trains lay over for 15-20 minutes at New York Penn, so there is plenty of time to get off without boarding passengers trying to get on.

• Thanks 1

• 2 months later...

Thanks everyone for including your experiences in this thread.  I'm a native New Yorker who lives in Maryland and I will be taking AMTrak to NY for a cruise Sunday, September 1 this year.  I will not be checking my bag, I want my belongings near me and tend to not overpack for cruises.  

Good to know it is best to take the escalator (which I hope will be working) locate the taxi stand.  I arrive at 10:30 with a 1:00 check in.  Since it will be a holiday weekend, hopefully Manhattan will not be too busy!

On 3/16/2019 at 10:02 PM, ginawech said:

Thanks. I booked a train that is scheduled to arrive at 10:45 and then I will have to wait to get

one checked bag. It's a Sunday. I am reading above. So it appears I leave Penn Station at 31st or 

33rd Street to find a taxi or an Uber?

GL

On my last cruise I traveled solo. I found that Norwegian has a car service Groundlink. Their phone number is

800-327-7030.. Here is the link to the information on the NCL site. The car driver texted me when was close 

and got me to the terminal in good time. If you scroll down it cost $35 from Penn Station to the terminal. Just

on suggestion.

https://www.ncl.com/getting-to-the-pier/transfers-and-car-services

Uh, yeah. Cab.

35 bucks? Was his name Tony and did he have a garbage business on the side??? Sorry, ginawech, but that's crazy when you're south of Times Square and already most of the way crosstown. Penn Station to the cruise terminal should be one of the easiest cab rides in Manhattan! Sounds like it worked for, but I'd grab a yellow cab.

On ‎3‎/‎17‎/‎2019 at 8:04 AM, 138east said:

According to the Amtrak website, the Acela and Northeast regional trains don’t offer checked luggage.

If you can’t manage your luggage, tell the conductor that you will need a red cap when you arrive at New York Penn Station.  The red cap will get you and all your stuff to the cab stand and you tip him for that service.  The Acela and Northeast regional trains lay over for 15-20 minutes at New York Penn, so there is plenty of time to get off without boarding passengers trying to get on.

Is it possible to use the train if you have a lot of luggage (2 large bags and 2 carry-ons)?

45 minutes ago, cruises42 said:

Is it possible to use the train if you have a lot of luggage (2 large bags and 2 carry-ons)?

Yes, but...

Is that one person, or two? I believe there's a two large bag limit, plus a carry-on. If you're on the Northeast Corridor (which you will be from Virginia), there's no checked bags. You can get a red cap at most manned stations (Union Station, for instance), but not at unmanned stations (Quantico), and at Penn Station, with some effort. I'll do 1+1, but my +1 is usually a backpack.

Amtrak.com is being a turkey right now on the actual rules. They're generous, but you usually need to be prepared to handle it yourself...

14 minutes ago, markeb said:

Yes, but...

Is that one person, or two? I believe there's a two large bag limit, plus a carry-on. If you're on the Northeast Corridor (which you will be from Virginia), there's no checked bags. You can get a red cap at most manned stations (Union Station, for instance), but not at unmanned stations (Quantico), and at Penn Station, with some effort. I'll do 1+1, but my +1 is usually a backpack.

Amtrak.com is being a turkey right now on the actual rules. They're generous, but you usually need to be prepared to handle it yourself...

Thanks. Yes, there will be 2 of us leaving from Union Station, D.C. So there is a place for all that luggage near the seats on the train? What is a red cap?

12 minutes ago, cruises42 said:

Thanks. Yes, there will be 2 of us leaving from Union Station, D.C. So there is a place for all that luggage near the seats on the train? What is a red cap?

Are you looking at a NE Regional or the Acela? The configurations are different.

There is an overhead rack on the NE Regional that will hold up to roll-aboard sized carry-ons. There are overhead bins on the Acela that will hold up to probably a 24 inch rolling suitcase (but it's overhead). There are luggage racks typically at both ends of the train, and there's an area theoretically for wheelchairs and the like where people (and Amtrak staff) leave larger luggage.

Amtrak has porters (red caps). If you're a United Club member, traveling first class (Acela), or some level of Amtrak's reward program, you have access to the Acela Club. You can get a red cap there. If you're not, at Union Station, right across from the information booth, there's a red cap area. The red caps will assist you with your luggage, and usually get you on the train early. They're salaried, but tip them. For the luggage you're describing, probably $10.

The conductor on your train can call ahead for red cap service at Penn Station.

Coming back, there's an Amtrak waiting area in Penn Station and you can request a red cap there. ALWAYS request a red cap at Penn Station. The red cap will know your track 5-10 minutes before it's announced. You'll be on the train in all probability before the mad scramble begins in the lobby...

12 minutes ago, cruises42 said:

There should be a place at the end of most cars where you can place your large luggage.   Do keep an eye on it.   (You might even bring a cable lock to lock your bags together.) There's also an overhead rack.  

Red caps are porters.  You tip them for their service (well worth it).  

1 minute ago, markeb said:

Coming back, there's an Amtrak waiting area in Penn Station and you can request a red cap there. ALWAYS request a red cap at Penn Station. The red cap will know your track 5-10 minutes before it's announced. You'll be on the train in all probability before the mad scramble begins in the lobby...

And now you've given away a big secret. . . 🤣