Single Traveler Program on Escape

vacatlover

Has anyone participated in the single traveler program on the Escape in recent months? I would love to get your review of the plans and activities so as to decide on whether to rely upon the program for my evening activities. I did the single traveler program two years ago, and it was wonderful. Every night we had a reservation to dine as a group in one of the main dining rooms, followed by one of the shows. I didn't need to make reservations on my own. I was able to meet lots of people and then ventured off with some for specialty dining (which I don't think that single diners can reserve). I've heard that the quality of the program depends on the staff member responsible for it, so I'm wondering what recent experiences have been especially in 2018. Thanks!

Has anyone participated in the single traveler program on the Escape in recent months? I would love to get your review of the plans and activities so as to decide on whether to rely upon the program for my evening activities. I did the single traveler program two years ago, and it was wonderful. Every night we had a reservation to dine as a group in one of the main dining rooms, followed by one of the shows. I didn't need to make reservations on my own. I was able to meet lots of people and then ventured off with some for specialty dining (which I don't think that single diners can reserve). I've heard that the quality of the program depends on the staff member responsible for it, so I'm wondering what recent experiences have been especially in 2018. Thanks!

I certainly agree that the success of the solo passenger gatherings and activities relies on the cruise staff. I haven't been on Escape (yet, leaving on her in 34 days and will report back) but the programming on Breakaway when I sailed solo in 2014 was lackluster. It was a combination of an disengaged staff member and a particularly introverted group of solo cruisers.

As for booking specialty dining, you can make single reservations. In the Dining section of your reservation you can select "1" as the party size for any of the restaurants that allow pre-booking.

And I'm sure you've already seen it, but the Solo Cruisers board on here has a lot of fantastic information and I'm sure has a higher percentage of people who have sailed solo on Escape (or other -away class ships) and can talk about the solo programs

Completely agree with the previous post. It's a combination of the asst cruise director assigned to the solo group and the interest level/engagement of the solo passengers themselves. Generally the first get together will set the tone for the cruise. But yes, the absolute minimum is that they should be able to arrange reservations to dinners/shows. And to your specialty restaurant comment, I don't think it's that they won't allow reservations for 1, I'd say the bigger issue would be that reservations fill up. The cruise director staff can still get reservations though usually (same with shows.) That being said, I've never not been able to get into a specialty restaurant (solo or with others), even when the reservations are full. If you just got to the restaurant and tell them you'd like to eat there and are willing to wait a few mins, in my experience they'll have a table for you in no time due to no shows, cancellations, etc..

• 3 weeks later...

I found the solo traveller hour excellent on the Excape. Me and a family member were travelling independently on the same sailing (her in a balcony and me in a solo) and we both met tonnes of people in the solo travellers group.

Also, the Cruise Critic Meet and Greet is a MUST for independent travellers. Sign up for everything you can...that's really how it all starts. With the Cruise Critic group, we all have something in common.

NOTE: The first solo night on the XCape was scheduled at Tobacco Road and then moved to the solo lounge. We were about 10 minutes late and there was no signage or anything at Tobacco Road saying the group moved - so if you don't see anyone at the designated meeting point, go to the solo traveller lounge. Also note, alcohol is not served in the solo lounger (unless you pay for wine from the dispensers)...so its BYOB if you want a bevvie while you socialize. Our solo coordinator was Yanique from Jamaica and she was excellent. If you talk to her, she will remember you the whole cruise.

Yes, the solo coordinator will prop open the studio lounge door to hallway. Lots of cruisers joined in that weren't staying in the studios. Lots of people stay in studios that are travelling with others and don't participate in the solo stuff. It's freestyle participate where you want when you want. Debbie

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Forums mobile app

There is no 'single traveler program' on any NCL ship that I know of and I have traveled on several NCL ships.

There are solo meetings and a solo lounge on the bigger ships but any activities are dependent on the participants; nothing is set. The daily, evening, solo meets are in the solo lounge (find out where that is if you are not in a studio cabin) and are open to all solo travelers. Look at the daily for specific info or ask at guest services.

It is a really fun time if there are solos that want to do things with other solos.

Not sure what you are looking for but the solo's on NCL are fun, flexible and really open to have a good time whatever they believe that is. :)

Have fun!!!!

Hope this helps!

Edited by Cruisercl
typos

Yes, let’s be clear, this is a solo travellers group, not a “singles” group. I’m pretty sure the OP meant “solo” but it’s best to be clear.

I would arrive a little early to the meeting point if it’s the studio lounge in case the door is NOT propped open and no one sees you waiting or comes in or out of the doors. I know on Epic the door has a window so it’s fine but the Excape’s lounge is a little more inside a few doors IIRC. I don’t recall the doors being propped open.