Beach bag/ backpack

JKAMAM

I never carry our beach towels in our beach bag.

1. They're too darn big and take up too much room.

2. They end up wet and full of sand. I don't want that in with my books, camera, extra clothes, etc.

I have a nice zipped tote with a plasticized liner to keep contents dry and (hopefully) sand fee. The beach towels go in any old bag- usually one of the cheap nylon bags the cruise lines give away.

For non beach excursions DH has a lightweight nylon day backpack that easily holds both our stuff.

• Like 1

Up until about 5 years ago, we used to bring a large beach bag with us to carry everything. Beach towels, water bottles, sun block, etc. That's a lot for one person (me) to carry around. Then I decided to get packable daypacks for each of us. I got ours from Eddie Bauer, but there are other comparable brands to choose from. Look on Amazon. The ones that we have, when packed up, measure about 3"x5". We've also used them for other excursions. It makes it so much better when one person doesn't have to carry everything.

I never carry our beach towels in our beach bag.

1. They're too darn big and take up too much room.

2. They end up wet and full of sand. I don't want that in with my books, camera, extra clothes, etc.

I have a nice zipped tote with a plasticized liner to keep contents dry and (hopefully) sand fee. The beach towels go in any old bag- usually one of the cheap nylon bags the cruise lines give away.

For non beach excursions DH has a lightweight nylon day backpack that easily holds both our stuff.

I bring 2 gallon bag ziplocks for our towels. Keeps bag & stuff from getting sandy

• Like 1

I just bring any tote bag I would use at our local pool or take to any beach. I've NEVER, EVER used a backpack....it's big enough for my book, sunscreen and towels. Once you're at your destination and the towels are out, it's enough space for our outer clothes...shorts/tees,/coverup wallet, etc.... Hubby keeps the credit cards/seapass and cash in his velcro pocket on his swim trunks if we aren't sitting on the beach.

On the trip back to the ship, we usually just carry the towels....our clothes are back on our bodies!

• 2 years later...

No picture but we have used a small, very lightweight nylon bag that folds up to nothing when we travel.  We keep in in our suitcase for lotion, ipad, book, etc.

It serves two purposes for us.  When we use it on cruises because it easily differentiates our bag from others beside the pool or on the beach.  We travel with carry on only.  Some airlines are very strict with their 7KG or 8KG max rule for carry on.   If we feel we might be over we pull out the bag and we put a few heavier items in it...ipad, book, whatever to reduce our bag weight by a kg.  

Edited by iancal
  • Like 1

I would say just get a large lightweight back pack or tote bag.  Doesn't have to be bombproof or have fancy logos unless you enjoy those things.  

A few years ago I was walking through our local Walgreens and saw backpacks on sale.  I bought four of them for $3 each.  I stuff them with stuff I use on my boat.   Been going strong now for 3 Years.  Best deal I ever got!  

• Like 1

Our bags are 10 years old.  Some faded obscure travel agency freebe from a friend.  They have been around the world criuses-beachs-African safaris.  One broken zipper.  They fold up into a pouch but we just squish them up and shove then in our carry on bag. 

Looking for a replace but they all seem to have more weight and logos.  Going to look in a low end bargain store where we will be certain to find a replacement that lasts for the next ten year.  We figure $5 or less will do  the trick.

Edited by iancal
  • Like 1

DW and I use backpacks for many things when we travel.  They are the carry-ons for our flights with the advantage that they leave both hands free and we can cram a lot of stuff and weight into those bags.  When we go to the beach we take one of our backpacks and it has several compartments (pretty water resistant) which can easily handle 3 large towels.  One of our backpacks actually has its own raincoat (sealed in its own bottom compartment) so if we run into rain that backpack stays nice and dry.

I should add that a lifetime of international travel has taught us to always be cognizant of our own security.  Over the years we have foiled several professional pick pockets/purse snatchers in France, Istanbul and Italy.  We never leave anything of great value on a beach so I also have a decent waterproof fanny pack (bum pack for you Brits) which can hold my cash and credit cards.  If we happen to have a cell phone with us we also have a waterproof holder for that item or could put it in the fanny pack.  If anyone were to steal our backpack they would get our towels and probably a couple of books.

Hank

We never use back packs.  Too awkward for us and I have back issues so it's out.  Also, I find most people with back packs to be quite rude and often hitting people with them so I don't want to be one of those people lol.

We use the HBC City Tote.  It's a canvas tote and works really well.  We use it as our carry on for the planes as we can throw a lot in it and easily slide it under the seats in front.  We have used it for trips to the beach and it works fine.  Love that there is a place for a phone and zippered pockets for wallets and the like.

https://www.thebay.com/product/hbc-stripes-multi-stripe-city-tote-0600084451550.html?dwvar_0600084451550_color=MULTI-STRIPE

https://www.thebay.com/product/hbc-stripes-city-tote-0600088073107.html?dwvar_0600088073107_color=BLACK

• 2 weeks later...

I have a waterproof sling bag that I use for everything (it’s  neon yellow & locks onto things). I put beach towels in the open canvas bag the cruise line gives you.  

• 2 months later...

20161130_125611.thumb.jpg.6e6b2cd3182d8877c00b9537ee236833.jpg

My UnderArmour white backpack, carry's everything no problemo, a couple of beach towels from the ship, big bottle of water, 2 pairs of sunglasses, and everything else.

It's White doesn't draw heat in the sun, my chapstick doesn't melt, and what ever is in my bag stays cool. Only way to go, looks awesome too. Has a dry pack for my wet clothing. Plenty of clips for bottle openers corkscrews and other party utensils. I keep a stack of  large plastic cups also, they always come in handy. Very light even with a full bottle of Goose when I'm making my own drinks on one of the island this one being Belize. Hope that helps Todd

• Like 3

• 6 months later...

I just use a basic beach tote but one thing I never understand is people who will bring back their wet beach towels to the room. If you cruise on a line that leaves one beach towel per person in the room, the last thing I do before heading back to the room is exchange my beach towel for a fresh dry one. I don't want a sopping wet towel in my room. 

• Like 1

If we drive to the port, I will probably use my carryon bag (tote type) as a beach bag.  If we fly (more likely), I will pack a light, flat bag for carrying beach towels - the cheap kind from a cruise line or grocery store, not something that would take up room in the luggage and in the cabin.  We don't take much of anything else ashore; just cruise card, sunglasses, maybe a few $$.  Those can stay in the bag, or in DH's swim trunk pocket.  

• 1 month later...
On 6/26/2020 at 2:40 PM, iancal said:

Our bags are 10 years old.  Some faded obscure travel agency freebe from a friend.  They have been around the world criuses-beachs-African safaris.  One broken zipper.  They fold up into a pouch but we just squish them up and shove then in our carry on bag. 

Looking for a replace but they all seem to have more weight and logos.  Going to look in a low end bargain store where we will be certain to find a replacement that lasts for the next ten year.  We figure $5 or less will do  the trick.

If you are still looking try Walmart. I just got two of those packable daypacks for $3 each on clearance. They're smallish backpacks made of pretty thin fabric that you can squash into the inside pocket of the backpack. I was able to get two beach towels and a dry change for my hubby and I in them. Besides the generous inner pocket they've got a zippered front pocket. I rolled up our wet suits in the beach towels and put my book in the front zip pocket. It did not get damp. 

I’ve decided to bring a lightweight towel or change robe with me for future cruises as the cruise line towels are just too bulky to haul around. But then I don’t do the stay on a beach all day approach in the ports. I usually do some sort of tour or activity for at least half the time in port. If I know I’ll be in the water then I use a dry-bag as a liner for my tote or backpack. I’ll use a backpack if I’m doing a tour but a tote for snorkelling excursions. The sizes and version change depending on what I’ve planned and what the weather forecast is like. If there’s a risk of rain or cooler temperatures then it’s a backpack for sure so I can bring/store layers. I have a north face backpack like the jester or borealis which lets me stuff as much or as little as I want in it and I can still attach a water bottle, towel, dry bag to the outside if it’s stuffed full with souvenirs. 
If thinking about a tote you can go the ultra compact route or a structured one that stands up even when empty. The decision depends on you. I’ve preferred the structured version as I use them as my “personal item” for carry-on, but since I’m switching to a backpack I’ll bring a packable one in future. 
btw those packable backpacks mentioned earlier are available from decathlon for anyone in Europe looking for them. Mine got ripped when climbing through the rock path at The Baths in Virgin Gorda but it held together enough to get back to the ship. I will be limiting myself to a bum bag if I ever get tempted to do an excursion involving climbing through small spaces in the future,