Best beaches in Key West?

michelle028

After reading all the comments about the lack of beaches in KW I'm bummed:(  But I think me and my girlfriends will go to Ft. Zachary beach. We dock at the pier where you can get right off the ship and it's a pretty easy walk to the Fort. Our cruise is Key West from 12:00 - 6:00 and Havana, Cuba the next day. So our only chance of a beach is KW. I'm so excited about Havana and we want to take an all day tour of the city. 

Thanks for all the opinions … it's helpful:) 

15 hours ago, 2xsin12mths said:

After reading all the comments about the lack of beaches in KW I'm bummed:(  But I think me and my girlfriends will go to Ft. Zachary beach. We dock at the pier where you can get right off the ship and it's a pretty easy walk to the Fort. Our cruise is Key West from 12:00 - 6:00 and Havana, Cuba the next day. So our only chance of a beach is KW. I'm so excited about Havana and we want to take an all day tour of the city. 

If you are talking about docking at Outer Mole/Nay pier? You will not be able to walk from there..you have to take a shuttle. 

We went to Cuba and loved it...would not want to live there, but was great to visit and see what we have heard of for years. Not sure when your cruise is, but we were there in August and it was HOT!! Make sure you get a good tour guide that speaks good English as it will help you a bunch. Have a great trip.

Here is a video you might like.

Edited by Grumpy Husband
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, 2xsin12mths said:

Can I make a suggestion? You should rent bikes (at the pier or look online and reserve ahead - such as Eaton Bikes- and they meet you at pier), and take them to Ft Zachary beach. It's kind of a long, hot walk and bikes are so much fun in Key West. Then if you want to leave early (or go later after lunch), it's very easy to get around and you can tour the whole island in a short time. Take the bikes over to the wharf area. You could hang out at Dante's for a while. It's a  huge pool & bar with a DJ. A great place to stop for laying in the sun. You could also bike to Casa Marina and hang out at their pool area (which also has a beach). If you're stopped in the lobby, just say you're going to the pool bar for lunch. 

Bikes will open up your Key West world and I promise you'll be so glad you did this! Worth every penny. 

Have a great time!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Grumpy Husband said:

If you are talking about docking at Outer Mole/Nay pier? You will not be able to walk from there..you have to take a shuttle. 

We went to Cuba and loved it...would not want to live there, but was great to visit and see what we have heard of for years. Not sure when your cruise is, but we were there in August and it was HOT!! Make sure you get a good tour guide that speaks good English as it will help you a bunch. Have a great trip.

8 hours ago, Grumpy Husband said:

We are docking at Pier B in KW.

Thanks for the Cuba video...was very nice ( I didn't realize Old Town was so poor!).  I'm sure this will ben an eye opener!

8 hours ago, KYWEST1 said:

Can I make a suggestion? You should rent bikes (at the pier or look online and reserve ahead - such as Eaton Bikes- and they meet you at pier), and take them to Ft Zachary beach. It's kind of a long, hot walk and bikes are so much fun in Key West. Then if you want to leave early (or go later after lunch), it's very easy to get around and you can tour the whole island in a short time. Take the bikes over to the wharf area. You could hang out at Dante's for a while. It's a  huge pool & bar with a DJ. A great place to stop for laying in the sun. You could also bike to Casa Marina and hang out at their pool area (which also has a beach). If you're stopped in the lobby, just say you're going to the pool bar for lunch. 

Bikes will open up your Key West world and I promise you'll be so glad you did this! Worth every penny. 

Have a great time!

Great idea!! Thanks!

13 hours ago, 2xsin12mths said:

We are docking at Pier B in KW.

Thanks for the Cuba video...was very nice ( I didn't realize Old Town was so poor!).  I'm sure this will ben an eye opener!

Yes it is very poor...only the main square around the ship terminal has been renovated to make it look good for the tourists. I also have more videos posted at that channel about Cuba, and lots of videos of Key West. 

I also would suggest you look at Lagerheads Beach Bar as it is close to the where you will be docking. They have good food and a nice beach also.  Here is a video to show you the way to get there.

1 hour ago, Grumpy Husband said:

I also would suggest you look at Lagerheads Beach Bar as it is close to the where you will be docking. They have good food and a nice beach also.  Here is a video to show you the way to get there.

Wow, I never heard of this bar (and I've stayed at Pier House quite a few times). Thanks for the video. Heading to KW in March for a cruise stop and in May for a vacay.  Love any new Key West tips!

Thank you!

Found Lagerheads a couple years ago, and this year I was there for the boat races, and they have tables on the beach to watch them right where they turn around in the harbor. Beer sold in a bucket and good food, so no reason to leave, and when hot just go for a quick swim.

When on vacay..try the Cruising' Tiki for sunset..very cool, or go on the bi-plane ride, it is a blast!! I have video of those too.

Two tips for Cuba.

1. The least important one is that there are people walking around selling roasted peanuts sold in small paper cones. They are something like 1 CUC. Buy a bunch and put them into your shirt pocket. They go well, later, with a frozen Daiquiri or a beer.

2 The more important.

There are things that the Cuban people cannot get easily - everything that we take for granted. If you decide to go on a trip there try to take a few things: magazines will be appreciated. Small bottles of shampoo or soap that you get each day in your room. Even clothing. When I go to Key West I usually bring older things to use one more time then throw out, but sometimes I don't use them and they stay clean and I bring them home. Tees Tanks, even socks. These would be good. You might even consider buying something to take and give away - an inexpensive pair of flip-flops from the CVS. Aspirin or Tylenol (There are no drug store in Havana)

Now, how do you find someone to give things to? You stand still anywhere and hold them up. Someone will come up to you to whom you can offer them. They will take them and thank you. You will feel good but then badly because you couldn't bring more. If you bring magazines they will make their way around Old Town Havana being passed from hand-to-hand.

Pjk

One more tip. The obvious things to buy and take home are rum and cigars. But there's a shop IIRC off a side street near the Ambos Mundos which sells hand made, hand painted fans. They are as nice as anything you'd find in Madrid or Seville. Another nice choice.

Pjk  

22 hours ago, peter_krynicki said:

Two tips for Cuba.

1. The least important one is that there are people walking around selling roasted peanuts sold in small paper cones. They are something like 1 CUC. Buy a bunch and put them into your shirt pocket. They go well, later, with a frozen Daiquiri or a beer.

2 The more important.

There are things that the Cuban people cannot get easily - everything that we take for granted. If you decide to go on a trip there try to take a few things: magazines will be appreciated. Small bottles of shampoo or soap that you get each day in your room. Even clothing. When I go to Key West I usually bring older things to use one more time then throw out, but sometimes I don't use them and they stay clean and I bring them home. Tees Tanks, even socks. These would be good. You might even consider buying something to take and give away - an inexpensive pair of flip-flops from the CVS. Aspirin or Tylenol (There are no drug store in Havana)

Now, how do you find someone to give things to? You stand still anywhere and hold them up. Someone will come up to you to whom you can offer them. They will take them and thank you. You will feel good but then badly because you couldn't bring more. If you bring magazines they will make their way around Old Town Havana being passed from hand-to-hand.

Pjk

We are going to Cuba in October-  Was thinking about doing a tour in an older car- Any thoughts or suggestions...appreciated-  Thanks.. 

1 hour ago, Cruising to Retirement said:

We are going to Cuba in October-  Was thinking about doing a tour in an older car- Any thoughts or suggestions...appreciated-  Thanks.. 

No. When we were there we just hired cabs to get around when we needed to. Cabs are everywhere and I've read that you can hire one to do a tour, but it would be better to get better advice before going. BTW I saw my uncles '58 Buick five different times.

Pjk

2 hours ago, Cruising to Retirement said:

I found a guy (Blexie) who does private tours fro 10am to 4pm with an old car, and you go where you want to go. We rode in a 1960 lime green Buick in perfect shape. He spoke perfect English, stayed with us even as we shopped so we got what we wanted and made sure we did not get taken on the money end. You can email him via his webpage here.

Edited by Grumpy Husband

On 1/27/2019 at 11:45 AM, Grumpy Husband said:

Yes it is very poor...only the main square around the ship terminal has been renovated to make it look good for the tourists. I also have more videos posted at that channel about Cuba, and lots of videos of Key West. 

You are a wealth of knowledge, Thank you.  We are going on the Tiki Hut Boat Sandbar Tour when we are in Key West.  Do local stores, CVS, Gas Stations, etc. sell beer for purchase (6 packs, etc.)  BYOB on the Tour as you are aware.. Are there places close to the Tiki Boat where you can purchase same.. Not sure of the Florida Laws.. Thanks.. 

2 hours ago, Cruising to Retirement said:

You are a wealth of knowledge, Thank you.  We are going on the Tiki Hut Boat Sandbar Tour when we are in Key West.  Do local stores, CVS, Gas Stations, etc. sell beer for purchase (6 packs, etc.)  BYOB on the Tour as you are aware.. Are there places close to the Tiki Boat where you can purchase same.. Not sure of the Florida Laws.. Thanks.. 

Thank you for the nice comment. 

I would only guess that the sandbar tour leaves from Hurricane Hole witch is on Stock Island, and that is a distance from the ship docks. They have a restaurant and bar there, and even though I have eaten there, not sure about take-out.  There are lots of CVS, gas station mini marts in KW where you can get beer to take with you, and I am sure a quick stop is worth the savings at a mini mart.

Check my channel for lots of Key West videos.

• Thanks 1