Is FTTF worth it for us?

aimcat

we set sail on a short 4 day on sensation in 9 days! The soonest we can arrive at port is about 12, but the soonest check in available is 12:30-1pm. Is FTTF worth getting? I have never done it before so curious if I should spring for it? My husband and friend going hates lines and waiting but didn’t know what it might be like then.

Nine days out, is FTTF even available? Usually sells out months in advance with sporadic availability thereafter. To me, sailing out of New Orleans most of the time where embarkation is quick and efficient, it is not worth it. Really do not use the other benefits.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I am normally a big supporter of FTTF. I want to be on the boat as quickly as possible and do not mind paying for that until I become Platinum, but if I was getting to the port at noon already, I do not think I would. I would push my time back to maybe 1 and hope to just walk on without a wait. This is Miami though and some people have been posting pics of some crazy lines lately outside the terminal. All may be moot though, if you do not already have FTTF, you probably cannot get it now.

We only have 4 Carnival cruises and have never used it. We tend to get to the port around 10:30 or so and go right through once they start processing. We usually wind up in boarding group 2-4 and we board about 15-20 min after the FTTF group so that part of it does not pay off for us. We have found that as long as the lines are moving along they do not really check the time on your paperwork but some others have reported differently. I would think that if you are not able to be there before noon you will probably miss the FTTF boarding group anyway so not sure how much time you will actually save. It depends on how long the lines are. If having your cabin available early is important that might be a reason to get it. Ditto with the priority tenders. We don't care about either of those things. Some people like having it but from our limited experience we do not see enough advantage to justify the extra cost. We do have priority boarding on Royal due to our C&A status but truthfully our Carnival boarding experiences have been more than satisfactory without it. They tend to do a really good job of embarkation as a rule.

I assume 12:30 is the earliest check in time available for you to select? Or are you sailing from Baltimore, where 12:30 is the earliest anyone can get?

Does your port have a priority line for security?

If you could get the 12:30 check in, FTTF could save you 45 min or so. Only you can answer if that, plus the other benefits, are worth the cost.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Forums mobile app

I have been on two cruises through Carnival, and only really "needed" it once. For the Key West port, that was a disaster. For it only being 7:30-1, everyone was getting on and off at the same time. Other than that, the embarkation/debarkation hasn't really been a problem.

I did buy it for my next cruise though. With 6 ports, maybe I'll find use in it. I would love to have the benefit as a platinum member.

I plan to purchase FTTF for my March 2019 cruise. I’ve been checking daily, but it must be too soon to purchase. When does it usually become available and about how many do they make available for each cruise? I have never purchased it, as it was not something they had back in 2007 on my last Carnival cruise.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I've been on 2 cruises so far. I've had FTTF once, it was for a tender port. I am going in July and have purchased FTTF because of a tender port. I have a cruise for October and I am not purchasing it. The benefits are great, but I really only get it if there's a tender port.

I have been on two cruises through Carnival, and only really "needed" it once. For the Key West port, that was a disaster. For it only being 7:30-1, everyone was getting on and off at the same time. Other than that, the embarkation/debarkation hasn't really been a problem.

The only time FTTF is a benefit for getting off the ship, is when it's a tender port. And it doesn't help when tendering back to the ship.

I did buy it for my next cruise though. With 6 ports, maybe I'll find use in it. I would love to have the benefit as a platinum member.

I plan to purchase FTTF for my March 2019 cruise. I’ve been checking daily, but it must be too soon to purchase. When does it usually become available and about how many do they make available for each cruise? I have never purchased it, as it was not something they had back in 2007 on my last Carnival cruise. Sent from my iPad using Forums

Somewhere around a year before your cruise, you should start to see excursions pop up. It's usually the first one to appear too. Our cruise is Feb 23rd of next year and it still doesn't show any excursions.

Yes it is still available for our cruise in 9 days. Thats why I am wondering if I need it? I am sailing from Miami. Right now the earliest time slot is 12-12:30. I hate to spend an extra $100 if I really dont need it?

Is FTTF worth getting?

I would spend my money on something that offers real value, i.e., excursion, premium dining, a smart cocktail. I had FTTF once and even was pushed back in line on a tender boat so for me, there was NO added value. Like on an aircraft, if the last seat arrives at the airport at the same time as the front of the aircraft, that is all that is important to me.

Yes it is still available for our cruise in 9 days. Thats why I am wondering if I need it? I am sailing from Miami. Right now the earliest time slot is 12-12:30. I hate to spend an extra $100 if I really dont need it?

How much carry on luggage will you have? Medical equipment? Having the cabins ready upon boarding could also be worth it, in these cases.

Could you arrive at the port by 10:00? With FTTF, you can check in 2 hours earlier, and be among the first to board, resulting in no lines for lunch.

we set sail on a short 4 day on sensation in 9 days! The soonest we can arrive at port is about 12, but the soonest check in available is 12:30-1pm. Is FTTF worth getting? I have never done it before so curious if I should spring for it? My husband and friend going hates lines and waiting but didn’t know what it might be like then.

There's more to FTTF than shorter lines. For me, I wouldn't purchase for a short cruise like this.

Here's some info from Carnival regarding FTTF

https://help.carnival.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1374/~/faster-to-the-fun-%28fttf%29

I would vote no. We had it a few times and its really not worth it to us. We now just ask for a late check out at hotel and pick a check in time of 1:30 or so. We can walk right up and get right on board, no lines, and can go right to our rooms as they are ready at 130pm

Way less hassle

^Not sure what you mean by out of luck. There are still FTTF available for our cruise. Due to our flight the soonest we can get there is about 11:45-12.

Sorry, I didn't see your post that it was still available until after I posted. I edited by response above to reflect this. My opinion is to save your money and not worry about it.

No problem! Thanks guys we may just skip it since the earliest we can be there is 12-1pm anyway and by then lines may have really diminished. Also this cruise is not sold out so not a packed house I assume.

I'm a big fan on FTTF because some brilliant guy in marketing came up with the idea that if you offer "free items" and sell it a "benefit" and hype it up buy limited the number of people that can buy it, you get a win win situation. The customer, gets the joy of buying a free item and forking over their money, and the company gets the money, and provides nothing in return, other than some free benefits.

Personally, I would never fall for the trap, but that's just me. When I buy something, I want to know it's real and not a perceived benefit.

The OP is arriving at the terminal for a 4 day cruise no earlier than noon, so IMO, FTTF would be a waste of $$$. They can choose a check in time appropriate to their estimated arrival (maybe the 12:30 to 1:00PM slot?) and board shortly afterwards.

I would use the same money for some other on board expense.

Lets say our flight is running behind or our transfer from FLL to Port of Miami - and lets say we book the 12 slot but dont get there til 1pm - then what? I am asking because normally we are in town the day before the cruise leaves and never fret it.

Lets say our flight is running behind or our transfer from FLL to Port of Miami - and lets say we book the 12 slot but dont get there til 1pm - then what? I am asking because normally we are in town the day before the cruise leaves and never fret it.

If you get there after your arrival time, it isn't a problem.... unless you get there too late to make the ship!

That's why many don't like flying in the day of the cruise.

We sailed Vista last year and it was a full sailing. Took a transfer from MIA to ship. Got there about 2:30. We walked non-stop from the terminal entrance to our cabin.

Aghh! Please pray for us that does not happen. Due to work and flight schedules this was our only option coming in the day of! Never done it before and just pray it goes smooth! I think as long as we are there by 3pm we are good!

I plan to purchase FTTF for my March 2019 cruise. I’ve been checking daily, but it must be too soon to purchase. When does it usually become available and about how many do they make available for each cruise? I have never purchased it, as it was not something they had back in 2007 on my last Carnival cruise.

As for my DW and I we say NO, and here is my input. FTTF is subjective, so you have to weigh out what you are getting vs. what you are paying. First on, after Diamond and Platinum- (we have a whole week on the ship, so what is another hour or so), priority line at the pursers desk (yes I said pursers desk...LoL old school)(we just go at off peak times when the lines are small), your state room will be available upon boarding (we travel very light for carry on so no big deal dragging it along to lunch), I believe you get priority reservations for the specialty restaurants (we only do the steak house once per cruise, and have never had a problem getting in). I am not sure of everything else you get but that is the bulk of it. In summary, again it is up the individual(s) if it is worth it to them, for us it is NOT.