Balcony question

famof4togo

So we are a large family traveling and we have 5 balcony rooms all in a row....am I correct that we can have the balconies opened to make one large extended balcony? I'll be honest, I am not too keen to do this but most of my family is...so my next question is...If we have all the balconies opened into one...can I still close them to have some privacy? Or is it one or the other?

Thanks in advance....

Not all balconies can be opened to each other. If the balcony divider would cover the door, they will not open it. Once they are opened, they are latched in place, so your steward would have to change it for you. We travel with another couple, so we always check the goccl site to see which cabins have connecting balconies. You can also call carnival to see which of your balconies will open to each other. Interesting to me is that the connecting cabins that I've seen do not have connecting balconies.

This is what I looked at for my upcoming Magic cruise.

https://help.goccl.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3164/~/carnival-magic-%28mc%29-staterooms-and-ship-features

Just google goccl carnival and the name of your ship - you'll find the right link.

Chances are you should be able to open the dividers between two pairs of rooms.

In my experience, the room steward has to "unlock" the dividers, and I would assume you would need him to latch them back as well.

Our last two cruises on the Dream were with the in-laws, and we specified at booking that we wanted to be able to do this. Sure is nice to have the extended balcony that results from opening a divider.

I do think most balcony dividers open both ways. On my last Magic cruise we had adjoining rooms with my parents (not my choice, but the TA did it) and through some research online it seemed that our balconies would not connect because the configurations. Our balcony doors were next to each other rather than opposite each other. In order words our bathrooms were wall to wall. It appeared on the website I was looking at that our balconies we connect with the balconies on the other side of us - makes no sense, but oh well. I didn't want adjoining rooms anyway.

Well upon arrival we looked and sure enough the divider between our room and the folks room had a small divider (small doorway - maybe hald the size of the full divider) that the sterward unlocked and locked into the open position. Our divider on the otherside would open completely to cover the room window.

Once it was unlocked, it was hooked onto something. If you wanted it closed there was no way for it to be locked so it would just swing around. So if you want it open, it's going to stay open. No securely closing it without help from your room steward.

We did the same thing on the Breeze balcony Spa cabins with a large family group. They were very easy to "unlock" them ourselves...we all put them in place and locked during the night, but had them open before dinner or if we were all meeting in the rooms...

It left us some privacy when we wanted. I do not think all dividers were meant to unlock as some had no hook or lock to keep in place...but completely doable to open enough and hang out on balcony a bit as large group. I will say that we all locked them in place at night as they would bang a bit if the ship was moving faster at night as it usually does...so was a perfect excuse to get our privacy back. Perhaps a compromise for all of you?

I'll be honest, when traveling with extended family or a group sometimes it's nice not to open the balcony dividers. With them open you have to worry about someone peaking into your room when you are changing or banging on your door when they want something. I've had it both ways and unless my kids are in the next balcony we leave our divider shut.