Danube water levels 2018 and similar topics - plus tips and info

notamermaid

Enjoy you time in Passau.

The sad news is that the Danube levels at Straubing and Pfelling are still falling and no rain forecast for at least 4 days.

Thank you. Passau was lovely.

It’s “all over red rover” for us, the decision has been made that we are doing a ship swap. We are just thankful that this option is available to us, not all travellers stuck here in Passau are so lucky.

The Mahler has just returned to Koblenz, after an overnight in Bernkastel and a subsequent short stop in Cochem.

The good news is that it is right on schedule with its amended itinerary, roundtrip Amsterdam.

Was your trip scheduled to go to Vienna and Budapest? That is our itinerary, starting in Amsterdam

The MS Savor spent our first day in Engelhartszell. We visited the Abbey and the tiny town, then went on a lovely walk overlooking the river. A very nice bike path across the river from our dock tempted some of our bike riders. Tomorrow we’re headed upriver to Passau. Wasn’t a question of water level there but docking space.

Our trip on the Mahler begins October 3, allegedly from Amsterdam-->Budapest. It is quite likely this will be changed to a version of the current rountrip Amsterdam cruise.

This is the trip we are on, as well. Our reason for this trip was its itinerary, including Vienna and Budapest. We did the Rhine several years ago. Have you heard anything from Crystal?

This is the trip we are on, as well. Our reason for this trip was its itinerary, including Vienna and Budapest. We did the Rhine several years ago. Have you heard anything from Crystal?

No, it's way too early to expect Crystal to notify us. It seems that the earliest that they have sent out emails about itinerary changes is about ten days before the cruise, but it appears that it could be as close as four days prior to embarkation. Even then, the emails tend to not show what the new itinerary will be, but will just say that there may need to be adjustments to the original schedule. It's likely that we won't know the exact itinerary until we get on board, but unless there is a miracle rainfall in the next two weeks, it appears that we will be doing a rountrip Amsterdam cruise (as the past two cruises on the Mahler have been), with stops in Holland, Germany and Belgium, going on the Rhine and the Moselle. Hope I'm wrong!

No, it's way too early to expect Crystal to notify us. It seems that the earliest that they have sent out emails about itinerary changes is about ten days before the cruise, but it appears that it could be as close as four days prior to embarkation. Even then, the emails tend to not show what the new itinerary will be, but will just say that there may need to be adjustments to the original schedule. It's likely that we won't know the exact itinerary until we get on board, but unless there is a miracle rainfall in the next two weeks, it appears that we will be doing a rountrip Amsterdam cruise (as the past two cruises on the Mahler have been), with stops in Holland, Germany and Belgium, going on the Rhine and the Moselle. Hope I'm wrong!

We are supposed to be on the mahler sept 17 Budapest to Amsterdam . We got an e mail from crystal on Thursday, that the Mahler will now leave from Amsterdam, and not go to Budapest or Vienna, or basically south of koblenz. It will still be a 16 day cruise . Very very disappointed as we basically booked it to go Budapest and. Vienna

We are supposed to be on the mahler sept 17 Budapest to Amsterdam . We got an e mail from crystal on Thursday, that the Mahler will now leave from Amsterdam, and not go to Budapest or Vienna, or basically south of koblenz. It will still be a 16 day cruise . Very very disappointed as we basically booked it to go Budapest and. Vienna

I fully understand your disappointment. However, there is absolutely nothing that Crystal can do about this, as the drought in Europe is an act of nature, not of Crystal's doing. Were you given an option to cancel and get a full refund? If you choose to stay on the cruise, what compensation were you offered?

I fully understand your disappointment. However, there is absolutely nothing that Crystal can do about this, as the drought in Europe is an act of nature, not of Crystal's doing. Were you given an option to cancel and get a full refund? If you choose to stay on the cruise, what compensation were you offered?

We just got off the Mahler on Sept. 1. Crystal paid to change our flights from Budapest to Amsterdam up to $1000 each, plus we were offered a $2000 pp future cruise discount. If we chose not to cruise there was an option for a full refund of the cruise fare. We decided to go and had the best cruise we have ever experienced and we have been on over 60 ocean cruises. It was like a semi private river cruise as only 44 guests were on board so that’s about 2 staff per passenger. Talk about great service! Neal Fullerton, the entertainer was fantastic and the passengers had a great time with lots of

comraderiere. I was told the next cruise was going to have about the same amount of passengers....lucky people! Lastly, the stops and excursions were very good with lots of choices. We when to Trier, Luxemburg, The Haig, and Brussels....all nice stops.

We’re assuming that our Mahler cruise will offer the same itinerary, round trip

Amsterdam. Very disappointed. We have visited the other areas previously and chose this trip because of Vienna and Budapest. We will see what our options are and possibly not go. :confused::eek:

Hello Ceilknits,

I can understand you considering cancelling. And it is reasonable to assume that Crystal will continue with the amended itinerary, i.e. October will still see them doing the Rhine/Moselle changed itinerary. This here is the problem: https://pegelonline.wsv.de/webservices/zeitreihe/visualisierung?ansicht=einzeln&pegelnummer=10078000 The graph shows the river level at Pfelling in the stretch that is not navigable. The spike shows you why some ships have been able to get through. They were close enough to that stretch to be in that short frame of acceptable conditions. I do not know what the figure has to be at to allow planning a river cruise from Amsterdam to Budapest. By that I mean Crystal is playing safe by sticking to the navigable part of the river(s) rather than trying to get to Nuremberg and then "getting stuck" at that port (or Regensburg). In the graph there is a line that says NNW. It is the lowest it had ever been at Pfelling. On 12, 24 und 25 August the river level fell below that line, which means there is now a new all time low at Pfelling for the annals.

With no rain feeding the Upper Danube and its tributaries Pfelling gauging station has already fallen rapidly again. And Marjan1 reported of a ship swap on 8 September.

I hope you will be happy with any decision that you will take.

notamermaid

Hi All Bus/Cruisers,

Is any one on the Riviera - Robert Burns Blue Danube, Budapest - Linz - Budapest 14th Sept to 21st or any other Riviera cruise recently around that area?

I would like to know how they coped with the low water problem? as there has been very few posts referring to Riviera cruises.

I have been learning the song, you know the one! "I am praying for rain in California" now its Vienna. Well you have to look on the bright side.

recently

Hi All Bus/Cruisers,

Is any one on the Riviera - Robert Burns Blue Danube, Budapest - Linz - Budapest 14th Sept to 21st or any other Riviera cruise recently around that area?

I would like to know how they coped with the low water problem? as there has been very few posts referring to Riviera cruises.

I have been learning the song, you know the one! "I am praying for rain in California" now its Vienna. Well you have to look on the bright side.

recently

I did that Bus/Cruise 19 to 26 August. - Reported on here.

Riviera offered no apologies or 'have a glass of wine at dinner on us' type of compensation.

Spent the first three nights on Oscar Wilde moored in Budapest - did Budapest tour - then bus trip to Esztergom and back. (About 1 1/2 hrs each way)

Esztergom was a bit of a waste if you cant see it from the river!

Then did bus to Bratislava - (approx 4 hours) to board the Thomas Hardy for lunch, and which sailed to Linz and back.

Didn't do Salzburg bus trip as we'd done enough busses. Linz was good though - used the tram up the mountain.

Four nights cruising, then we had the Budapest extension - which started in Bratislava.

First day was mostly on bus with 30 minute stop at Visegrad and same at Sztendre.

Then couple of days in Budapest.

Not the stress free holiday we needed.

Positives - the food was good. The Vienna quartet they organised was very good.

I am about 7 weeks out! Cruising on Avalon Deggendorf to Budapest. Does anyone have any info on Avalon ships sailing. I know two recent cruises were cancelled, any one else have a pending cruise?

I asked my TA, she has no info for me.

Since it’s my first River cruise, I really don’t know what to expect!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for that "upset cruiser" looks as if I will have keep praying for rain in Vienna!

At least the food was good.

On that 4hr bus trip did they throw in lunch as compensation?

I can see that the Oscar Wilde has been stationary in Vienna since the 7th at least but the Robert Burns has moved from Bratislava yesterday to Emmersdorf today so unless they reverse positions in the next few day it looks like ship swaps and bus tours, Ah well I must remain positive and think of the claim for compensation!

Thanks for that "upset cruiser" looks as if I will have keep praying for rain in Vienna!

I can see that the Oscar Wilde has been stationary in Vienna since the 7th at least but the Robert Burns has moved from Bratislava yesterday to Emmersdorf today so unless they reverse positions in the next few day it looks like ship swaps and bus tours, Ah well I must remain positive and think of the claim for compensation!

Riviera do not do 'compensation'! Small print in the booking conditions - not their fault. The 4 hour trip got us to the other boat in time for lunch on board. There was a convenience stop on the motorway services half way. A 'tourist meal' was included on the return all day bus trip. it was OK but nowhere near the quality of food on the boat.

We're on Avalon Panorama leaving Budapest on Sept 25 for Nuremberg. Haven't heard anything.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

Ok thanks, can you keep me advised. I realize it’s the chance you take booking a cruise so far in advance. It won’t happen again.

Wishing you the best.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Robert Burns will get to Linz on 11th and back to Budapest for 13th Sept (unless the river level drops between Bratislava and Budapest) so you should be OK. Currently, all boats seem to be OK getting there.

We are on the Scenic Amber scheduled to leave Nuremberg on Sept 20 and sail to Budapest. Any news about similar trips would be welcome. Thanks.

We're on the ship too - or at least we hope to be ! This is today's view on their website - doesn't look promising

The Danube River is currently experiencing low water levels. Guests will be contacted individually if deviations from the standard itinerary become necessary. The following cruises may be affected:

Gems of the Danube: September 20, 2018

Jewels of Europe: September 12 & 17, 2018