Danube water levels 2018 and similar topics - plus tips and info

notamermaid

The Danube river levels are rising, but are predicted to to fall slowly after 36 hours. Will have to wait and see what the rain in the Alps will send the Danube via it's tributaries.

Hope the boats are on the starting line in case the levels rise enough for the to pass the critical areas.

The Danube river levels are rising, but are predicted to to fall slowly after 36 hours. Will have to wait and see what the rain in the Alps will send the Danube via it's tributaries.

Hope the boats are on the starting line in case the levels rise enough for the to pass the critical areas.

I am going to be a wreck, until the end of the month! Any good news, is reassuring!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am going to be a wreck, until the end of the month! Any good news, is reassuring!

Please do not be a wreck as you could be a hinderess to other boats.

Get out your best local sherry to calm your nerves.

Have a great cruise.

Sometimes when we travel it turns to a bit of an adventure. Enjoy it whatever happens. The sherry is a good idea!

Sometimes when we travel it turns to a bit of an adventure. Enjoy it whatever happens. The sherry is a good idea!

[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23] I can deal with adventure. I am arranging a Plan B just in case the option to cancel comes through. Some how Danube for wine lovers doesn’t seem too exciting if it will be done mostly by bus. I will keep the rain dance going for those that have more imminent sail dates!

We have a group of seven couples currently sailing on the Viking Egil from Budapest To Nuremberg. We are headed from Krems Austria and sailing to Passau. I believe we will stop prior to Passau, Lintz Austria I believe and have a ship swap. Not sure where we will get back on, hopefully Passau. I’ll try and update. We are having a blast. The food is good and the service fantastic.

Notice from Captain: "Due to low water levels it may become necessary to lighten the ship. Be advised that pessimists will be thrown overboard first."

I've been watching this and other threads since July. I've waiting for autumn rains, but accept that Mother Nature is unpredictable. I rejoice in the number of optimists on CC. As long as I have my health, I'm fine. Well, I need to food too. And wine. Mustn't forget the wine.

We were cruising on Avalon Oct. 7th Nuremberg to Budapest & received notice today of changes. The accomodations now are we would be embarking from Vilshofen & receive a free concert in Vienna (an optional tour) They have also offered a full refund. It's an unknown now what the levels are near Budapest. We opted for the full refund & plan on rebooking our river cruise in the spring. Now we know more about water levels & will pick a river cruise that's hopefully okay! Thankfully Avalon has been very helpful throughout! Best wishes to all & may your water levels be perfect!

We have a group of seven couples currently sailing on the Viking Egil from Budapest To Nuremberg. We are headed from Krems Austria and sailing to Passau. I believe we will stop prior to Passau, Lintz Austria I believe and have a ship swap. Not sure where we will get back on, hopefully Passau. I’ll try and update. We are having a blast. The food is good and the service fantastic.

Did you actually get on the ship in Budapest or was the ship docked outside of Budapest?

We were cruising on Avalon Oct. 7th Nuremberg to Budapest & received notice today of changes. The accomodations now are we would be embarking from Vilshofen & receive a free concert in Vienna (an optional tour) They have also offered a full refund. It's an unknown now what the levels are near Budapest. We opted for the full refund & plan on rebooking our river cruise in the spring. Now we know more about water levels & will pick a river cruise that's hopefully okay! Thankfully Avalon has been very helpful throughout! Best wishes to all & may your water levels be perfect!

Thank you for this information. We are due to do this cruise (in reverse) from 17th Oct. I’m pleased to hear that a full refund has been offered as an option. We are looking forward to our cruise but don’t want to end up on a glorified bus tour instead! So in the same circumstances we would take the refund too.

Still hoping that rain will come in time for us. We have not heard anything from Avalon yet but I guess it is too early.

Thank you for this information. We are due to do this cruise (in reverse) from 17th Oct. I’m pleased to hear that a full refund has been offered as an option. We are looking forward to our cruise but don’t want to end up on a glorified bus tour instead! So in the same circumstances we would take the refund too.

Still hoping that rain will come in time for us. We have not heard anything from Avalon yet but I guess it is too early.

Same here, I am 14 days after you.

The critical points along the Danube between Passau and Regensburg have risen overnight and the levels should be enough to make this part of the Danube passable. This situation should be good for at least a few days.

Lets see if any boats make the "rapids".:evilsmile:

Good news for us locals, we are geeting 4 days of sunny and warm weather. Bad news no rain in sight and the Danube levels are fall and looks like te critical points will be unpasable in 1 to 2 days.

Going out now to top up my Vitamin D.

Good news for us locals, we are geeting 4 days of sunny and warm weather. Bad news no rain in sight and the Danube levels are fall and looks like te critical points will be unpasable in 1 to 2 days.

Thanks to all who have posted before. We are leaving tomorrow on Viking from Bucharest to Amsterdam. Our ship and departure port has changed. We are leaving up river from giugriu due to low water levels. We are on the Aegir instead of the Lif. We knew about the ship change by monitoring Cruisemapper. The Viking rep at the hotel had no clue. We may know more after we board tomorrow. I will continue to post about any planned or unplanned ship changes we encounter along the way. At this point we are assuming we will have the Passau/Regensburg change ship. Hopefully it will be the only one if not.... Life is an adventure enjoy the ride.

Sent from my LG-H932 using Forums mobile app

Thanks to all who have posted before. We are leaving tomorrow on Viking from Bucharest to Amsterdam. Our ship and departure port has changed. We are leaving up river from giugriu due to low water levels. We are on the Aegir instead of the Lif. We knew about the ship change by monitoring Cruisemapper. The Viking rep at the hotel had no clue. We may know more after we board tomorrow. I will continue to post about any planned or unplanned ship changes we encounter along the way. At this point we are assuming we will have the Passau/Regensburg change ship. Hopefully it will be the only one if not.... Life is an adventure enjoy the ride.

Sent from my LG-H932 using Forums mobile app

Have a great cruise.

I see that the Scenic Amber made it to Nuremberg. That is great except she was supposed to return to Budapest after today and now appears to be heading to Amsterdam.

Anyone out there booked on the Gems of the Danube cruise in Nuremberg today? I am wondering what ship Scenic has for you.

G.M.T., enjoy the sunshine. It is overcast here, but will brighten up so that we will possibly see 25 degrees (maximum) in parts of the Rhine valley tomorrow or Saturday. It is going to be another three days without proper rain. Will need to see what Sunday and Monday bring. Perhaps some rain clouds will make it over the ridge to the Swabian Jura and release their load into the Upper Danube.

notamermaid

Not sure where critical points are.

We are going Passau to Budapest.

1. Would I be correct to assume the Passau to Vienna would be fine.

2. And probably all the way to Bratislava fine as well but we would not make it to Budapest and would have to dock/stop something LIKE a 90 minute bus ride from Budapest?

And explanation relative to the Passau to Budapest cruise would be appreciated. THANKS!

Not sure where critical points are.

We are going Passau to Budapest.

1. Would I be correct to assume the Passau to Vienna would be fine.

2. And probably all the way to Bratislava fine as well but we would not make it to Budapest and would have to dock/stop something LIKE a 90 minute bus ride from Budapest?

And explanation relative to the Passau to Budapest cruise would be appreciated. THANKS!

We leave tomorrow for a Budapest to Nuremberg cruise. Boat is already on Budapest and we have seen others cruising on the Danube here. I think we will be fine til Passsu, but unless it rains, we probably won't get any further

Sent from my iPhone using Forums