Danube water levels 2018 and similar topics - plus tips and info

notamermaid

We leave tomorrow for a Budapest to Nuremberg cruise. Boat is already on Budapest and we have seen others cruising on the Danube here. I think we will be fine til Passsu, but unless it rains, we probably won't get any further

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

According to MarineTraffic there are no boats in Budapest. They are stopping an hour or so outside of the city. Which ship will you be on?

According to MarineTraffic there are no boats in Budapest. They are stopping an hour or so outside of the city. Which ship will you be on?
Another tracking app Cruisemapper dot com shows 10+ river cruise boats in Budapest. No clue which site may be more accurate. We have used both to monitor river cruise boat movements. Hope this helps.

Sent from my LG-H932 using Forums mobile app

We are on Uniworld S.S Beatrice. We arrived In Budapest Tuesday afternoon (October 2). There were several other ships docked there as well. No water level issues. We left Budapest about an hour ago headed to Croatia. We were told that we will make it to Croatia and Serbia, but we may encounter water level issues in the stretch from Serbia to Bulgaria and from Bulgaria to Romania.

Not sure where critical points are.

We are going Passau to Budapest.

1. Would I be correct to assume the Passau to Vienna would be fine.

2. And probably all the way to Bratislava fine as well but we would not make it to Budapest and would have to dock/stop something LIKE a 90 minute bus ride from Budapest?

And explanation relative to the Passau to Budapest cruise would be appreciated. THANKS!

The critical points, as mentioned above are Straubing and Pfelling both between Passau and Regensburg.

The Dabube stretch between Passau and Vienna will be fine, not one report of a boat not making it (through this long hot summer). This section of the river is contolled by locks.

Occassionally boats could not make it from Vienna to Bratislava, but that was rare. Depending how low the river levels are, some boats have made it to Komarom (1 hour to Budapest) or Esztergom (172 hour drive). Bratislava - Budapest is open because of the rain last weekend, but we have no rain in sight for at least the next 4 days.

We are on Uniworld S.S Beatrice. We arrived In Budapest Tuesday afternoon (October 2). There were several other ships docked there as well. No water level issues. We left Budapest about an hour ago headed to Croatia. We were told that we will make it to Croatia and Serbia, but we may encounter water level issues in the stretch from Serbia to Bulgaria and from Bulgaria to Romania.
Good to hear the water level is still ok in Budapest. We leave on the Viking Aegir tomorrow they were unable to get giurgiu the river port for Bucharest. We are departing from Zimnicea about 2 1/2 hour bus ride. Will keep you posted on any issues as we head for Budapest.

Sent from my LG-H932 using Forums mobile app

Not sure where critical points are.

We are going Passau to Budapest.

1. Would I be correct to assume the Passau to Vienna would be fine.

2. And probably all the way to Bratislava fine as well but we would not make it to Budapest and would have to dock/stop something LIKE a 90 minute bus ride from Budapest?

And explanation relative to the Passau to Budapest cruise would be appreciated. THANKS!

We are now (thurs oct 5) on Viking Prestige Passu to Budapest trip. All has been fine from Passau to Bratislava. We were informed last night that we cannot sail from Bratislava into Budapest Friday night. We will dock in Kamoron and be bussed 1 hour for scheduled tours in Budapest on Sat morning

Writing these river level reports is like listening to a record where the needle is stuck.

The long term forecaste (15 days) for the Danube area is for warm sunny days with just a small chance of some very light rain.

The river levels upstream from Passau are falling have have almost reached the levels before the rain last weekend. Must be unpassable if not already then very soon.

Will be getting a vitamin D shot, DW has mowing the grass on my marching orders.:(

Writing these river level reports is like listening to a record where the needle is stuck.

Probably - but I check this post daily as I am sailing soon on the Danube. I am sure others are the same way. First hand accounts as opposed to weather reports.

The river levels upstream from Passau are falling have have almost reached the levels before the rain last weekend. Must be unpassable if not already then very soon.

Doesn't look like anything is venturing beyond Passau at the moment based on the ships I'm tracking.

I suspect that even if it is just about passable it would be risky for any of the cruise lines to go through unless they are swapping with another ship passing the opposite way.

We have 5 weeks until we leave from Amsterdam heading to Budapest and right now it feels like we could still be dealing with the water level issues by then...

We were scheduled on Scenic Amber, Nurenburg to Budapest starting oct 5. They have put us on the Jasper, 30 minutes south of Passeau. We will remain here until Sat and then continue to Budapest as regular schedule. Nurenburg tours being done from here on 4 hr bus up and 4 hr back. . Going to do Regensburg tomorrow on 2hr bus trip up and 2hr back. Hopefully will be able to get into Budapest in a week or so.

We were scheduled on Scenic Amber, Nurenburg to Budapest starting oct 5. They have put us on the Jasper, 30 minutes south of Passeau. We will remain here until Sat and then continue to Budapest as regular schedule. Nurenburg tours being done from here on 4 hr bus up and 4 hr back. . Going to do Regensburg tomorrow on 2hr bus trip up and 2hr back. Hopefully will be able to get into Budapest in a week or so.

That looks to be what APT are doing at the moment.

They have AmaReina parked on the down stream side of Passau and AmaVerde about 2/3rds of the way between Wurzburg and Bamberg, close to Zeil Am Main.

8 hours on a bus?! Are they giving out credits for future cruises? Can't ships get into Passau now, or is the port simply too crowded?

Your ship scenic Jasper is moored in Engelhartszell, if you have time visit the Abbey here. The monks brew very good beer and distill some very tasty schnapps.

Good luck with the bus tours.

At present it does not look like that boats can make Budapest, they are mooring about an hours drive away.

8 hours on a bus?! Are they giving out credits for future cruises? Can't ships get into Passau now, or is the port simply too crowded?

Cruise lines just keep building more and more ships without consulting the towns and cities along the way about mooring opporutities.:(

The town council is planning more docking locations (three) in the under utilised winter harbour, but they is local opposition to it. It is said that cruise passengers do not leave much money in the town as day or longer stay visitors.

Passau is getting overcrowded, that is why some companies are usingdocking areas near bye, AMA in Vilshofen (20 km) upstream and Engelhartszell (25 km) downstream.

We 1st European river cruised about 10 years ago and have noticed each time we cruise, France, Rhine, Danube are all getting more and more ships.

Not sure why some towns may get lions share of visitors, and agree other places could benefit. On a recent cruise Budapest to Amsterdam we visited Bonn instead of Koln, which we like, but were interested in seeing Bonn and visiting the university gardens with a local guide, loved it.

Similarly with Nuremberg another nice place but we went to view the Faber Castell Residence in Stein. Beautiful so well preserved and interesting history.

Bamberg we like too but crowded, we have visited in all seasons.

We were in Roth 1 trip when a docking area was being launched and the locals joined in the celebrations. Not privy to financial/business arrangements of such ventures but agree there needs to be benefits for all.

Today (October 5) we boarded Avalon Expression in Budapest and are scheduled to sail in 1/2 hour I did notice a few other boats tied up as we headed to the dock, but it seems as if river traffic is light

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

There is no tour worth 4 hours there and 4 hours back. I complained about The port they used for Bang Kok ( ocean Cruise) was 2.5 hours away, I opted for an overnight excursion.

I hope you enjoyed your experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What are Scenic doing to recompense you for this? 8 hours is a long time on a bus.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I'm currently on the Monarch Princess which left Vilshofen on 10/2 and was sailing to Budapest. We were told yesterday (10/5) that the water levels have fallen too low to be able it make it into Budapest, and Vienna is as far as we can go. We are staying here for 3 nights, we're going to be bussed to Bratislava for a day trip then come back to the ship, and on 10/8, what was to be our last night on the ship, we're going to be bussed to Budapest and spend the night at a hotel there. Because of the short notice (we had been told sailing to Budapest shouldn't be a problem when we embarked) our ship is being booked into 3 separate hotels. I'm staying at the Hilton on the Buda side, which suits me as I have 2 nights post cruise booked on the Pest side. But being that we are only doing one night in a hotel, that's already better than I anticipated after monitoring this thread for the last 2 months.

Edited by plumie
Typos