Danube water levels 2018 and similar topics - plus tips and info

notamermaid

We boarded the Viking Aegir last night in Trunu Romania. Our bus ride was an extra hour due to traffic in Bucharest and an accident along the way. They are unable to doc in Giurgiu due to low water level. It's not because of the level in the channel. The picture of the area where they doc was dry as in you would need wheels on the boat to get there. Right now we are good to go as far as Budapest. Budapest to Amsterdam unknown. Will keep posting as we go.

Sent from my LG-H932 using Forums mobile app

Update from our Avalon Impression sailing. We left Nuremberg early yesterday (10/5) afternoon and was told at our evening port talk of the low shallow waters by Regensburg and Straubing we would be sailing through in the early morning hours. Plan A would be to sail past Regensburg and dock in Vilshofen, then bus into Regensburg for sightseeing. Plan B if we could not make it past the shallow waters would be to dock in Regensburg per original schedule and TBD afterwards. Happy to say, we made it through this critical stretch, even though the ship scraping through gravel woke us up around 4AM.

Will be docking in Vilshofen soon and be bussed 1-1.5hr into Regensburg for sightseeing. A bit long by coach, but more preferable than being stuck in shallow waters. Ship will be sailing on to another port (starts with E) past Passau since there’s no available space at Vilshofen in the afternoon and we will catch up to ship by coach. We will sail back to Passau in the morning and be back on track with original itinerary.

So from my understanding, we should be good sailing Passau, Melk, Vienna and Bratislava? It’s just may not be able to sail into Budapest these next few days?

Amazing job by the Avalon team for communication without panicking the passengers. The captain has been proactive to try to get ahead of schedule where possible without sacrificing port stops and sightseeing. And our cruise director has been wonderful coordinating everything with the coaches and guides on the fly.

Update from our Avalon Impression sailing. We left Nuremberg early yesterday (10/5) afternoon and was told at our evening port talk of the low shallow waters by Regensburg and Straubing we would be sailing through in the early morning hours. Plan A would be to sail past Regensburg and dock in Vilshofen, then bus into Regensburg for sightseeing. Plan B if we could not make it past the shallow waters would be to dock in Regensburg per original schedule and TBD afterwards. Happy to say, we made it through this critical stretch, even though the ship scraping through gravel woke us up around 4AM.

Will be docking in Vilshofen soon and be bussed 1-1.5hr into Regensburg for sightseeing. A bit long by coach, but more preferable than being stuck in shallow waters. Ship will be sailing on to another port (starts with E) past Passau since there’s no available space at Vilshofen in the afternoon and we will catch up to ship by coach. We will sail back to Passau in the morning and be back on track with original itinerary.

So from my understanding, we should be good sailing Passau, Melk, Vienna and Bratislava? It’s just may not be able to sail into Budapest these next few days?

Amazing job by the Avalon team for communication without panicking the passengers. The captain has been proactive to try to get ahead of schedule where possible without sacrificing port stops and sightseeing. And our cruise director has been wonderful coordinating everything with the coaches and guides on the fly.

Thank you for your post. please keep us updated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We are cruising from Budapest to Nuremberg on Viking starting on Oct. 13. Yesterday we called Viking with concerns about the water levels on the Danube and they assured us the water levels are fine and all boats are getting through without a problem.

Just curious, do you believe them?

We are on the Viking Var, Budapest to Nuremberg, right now. We were told the ships cannot get to Budapest due to low water and were bused from Budapest to the boat 90 min away in Kormoro (?) Slovakia. We are moving now on the boat but have been told we will probably have a ship swap in 3 days. The service and food are great but it is disappointing to use up time on a bus and miss time in the cities.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Just finished a Budapest to Nuremberg cruise on Viking today. The weather was sunny and warm. Even got to wear shorts for a couple of days. We had a slight change on our itinerary. The ship docked in Lintz Austria and we road a bus to Passau, approximately 1.5 hours for our daily tour. After Passau we road another bus to Straubing (sp) for a ship swap. Again another 1.5 hours or so. Again with the water levels the way they are Viking is able to minimize the impact due to having so many ships sailing back and forth. O. The train to Munich today we talked to a couple that just finished an Avalon cruise and they did more tours via bus because they can’t ship swap like Viking.

Just finished a Budapest to Nuremberg cruise on Viking today. The weather was sunny and warm. Even got to wear shorts for a couple of days. We had a slight change on our itinerary. The ship docked in Lintz Austria and we road a bus to Passau, approximately 1.5 hours for our daily tour. After Passau we road another bus to Straubing (sp) for a ship swap. Again another 1.5 hours or so. Again with the water levels the way they are Viking is able to minimize the impact due to having so many ships sailing back and forth. O. The train to Munich today we talked to a couple that just finished an Avalon cruise and they did more tours via bus because they can’t ship swap like Viking.

Thanks, that is what I was figuring. I am doing AVALON at the end of the month. Hours on a bus is not my idea of a river cruise. Hoping for Rain!!

One more question, Did you have to pack and unpack every time you switched ships.

One other thing. Just go with the flow. I am reading now that ships can’t get into Budapest. We had no problems last week. The cruise companies look at these water levels day to day. Like the passengers they would like to avoid the inconvenience as well. Evidently the critical area of the river for us was from Passau to Regensburg. They day we ship swapped the water level was such that we could have made it but then the next day it dropped below again.

One other thing. Just go with the flow. I am reading now that ships can’t get into Budapest. We had no problems last week. The cruise companies look at these water levels day to day. Like the passengers they would like to avoid the inconvenience as well. Evidently the critical area of the river for us was from Passau to Regensburg. They day we ship swapped the water level was such that we could have made it but then the next day it dropped below again.

My entry point is Deggendorf just north of Passau. So if no rain it looks like a bus to a Passau. I don’t know better work on my plan B.

We only swapped once and it was painless. Of course we would have preferred not to change ships but it really wasn’t bad.

Yes, that wouldn’t be bad. I am hearing horror stories on other lines on 4 hour bus trips. I guess I will be prepared when ever I get my notification.

Now I'm getting nervous...our ship due to sail from Budapest toward Vienna starting 10/20 with Gate 1, the Monarch Baroness. Right now the Monarch Baroness is on the Resgensburg side of the sallow area near Pfilling and is heading further to the East.

See:

https://pegelonline.wsv.de/webservices/zeitreihe/visualisierung?ansicht=einzeln&pegelnummer=10078000,

AND there is very little rain in the forecast over the next two weeks. Has anyone had ship "swaps" using Gate 1? For a few weeks, I've followed the Monarch Baroness and as long it was "stuck" on the Budapest side I was feeling OK the that worst case we might need to ride a bus from Budapest to Bratslava (if the levels were low on that portion of the Danube). NOW I'm not sure if ANY Gate 1 ship even will be in the area when we arrive in Budapest in two weeks.

This morning along the Danube, it is overcast and raining (currently only a light drizzle - but who know) this was not expected or predicted.

The river levels have fallen overnight.

Lets see what the weather brings us today.

Thanks, that is what I was figuring. I am doing AVALON at the end of the month. Hours on a bus is not my idea of a river cruise. Hoping for Rain!!

One more question, Did you have to pack and unpack every time you switched ships.

Yes, you will have to do your own packing and unpacking (unless you have a butler service?).

For obvious reasons, most ship staff won’t handle personal belongings.

The Christmas biscuits are in the shops, German Erntedankfest (giving thanks for the harvests) is celebrated (on different days among the Christian churches). Turn around on your axis three times (as I always say) and before you know it, it is time to sing "Stille Nacht, Heilige Nacht" again. This year with even more of a solemn voice as it is a special anniversary: https://www.dw.com/en/celebrating-200-years-of-silent-night/a-45715825

An Austrian song that is - ahem - also sort of Bavarian according to the article. Shifting borders and boundaries... Still, let's go with the officials. The song is part of the UNESCO-recognised Intagible Cultural Heritage of Austria.

notamermaid

Update from the Viking Aegir. We talked to the program director today he told us there was %150 percent chance we would have to change ships. He said Budapest is closed right now so we will dock at Mohacs for our tour that day then stay in a hotel for three nights. Then a bus ride to Vienna . Not happy but not much Viking can do about the low level. Will see how it all works out. On a positive note the food and service on the ship is great and the tours through the former Soviet Block counties has been fascinating and informative. It still stinks that we have to do hotel and bus tour for part of it. The program director has been straight up with us and we know things can change at a anytime. Most of the passengers are only going to Budapest only 40 are headed all the way to Amsterdam. Most have no clue about the Danube water levels. They are blissfully ignorant about the up and coming attractions and my DW is making me keep my big mouth shut. When I started to talk to one of our fellow travelers about water levels ship change...they started to freakout so we will let them enjoy the trip for now. Will continue to update as we head toward Amsterdam.

Sent from my LG-H932 using Forums mobile app

Edited by beachlivin

On the Avalon Expression right now and are not sailing to Nuremberg which was to have been our final stop before Prague. At least no ship swaps. We stay on the boat and lose Nuremburg but in compensation they are offering full day tours in Salzburg for free. And have offered anyone who wanted to get off the boat now a full refund for the days on the boat that they will miss. Barely a ripple. Kudos to Avalon. It has been handled very well and the feeling on the boat is quite cheerful.

On the Avalon Expression right now and are not sailing to Nuremberg which was to have been our final stop before Prague. At least no ship swaps. We stay on the boat and lose Nuremburg but in compensation they are offering full day tours in Salzburg for free. And have offered anyone who wanted to get off the boat now a full refund for the days on the boat that they will miss. Barely a ripple. Kudos to Avalon. It has been handled very well and the feeling on the boat is quite cheerful.

Thank you for the update. We are doing the exact same cruise next week so are interested to hear how Avalon are dealing with low water levels. We have visited some of the places previously by train. The whole point of this trip was to do it in a leisurely way on the river & not have to pack up & move on every day! So the solution of staying on the ship would suit us.

Enjoy the rest of your cruise. I am praying for rain at night so it doesn’t disrupt your days out!

Keep us updated if you can on how it works out.

Thanks for the post. We are booked on the Expression to Budapest on the 12th. We've been wondering what to expect and have contacted Avalon but they are not announcing any changes yet. Guess we won't be leaving from Nuremberg as scheduled. We will be heading to over to Europe today, so I expect we will hear from them after we are over there. If it's just the one port affected, not a big deal. If it's a lot more than that, we may have to come up with a Plan B.

Thanks for the post. We are booked on the Expression to Budapest on the 12th. We've been wondering what to expect and have contacted Avalon but they are not announcing any changes yet. Guess we won't be leaving from Nuremberg as scheduled. We will be heading to over to Europe today, so I expect we will hear from them after we are over there. If it's just the one port affected, not a big deal. If it's a lot more than that, we may have to come up with a Plan B.

They don’t tell you much before they actually tell you anything if that makes any sense. They obviously want to keep the calm as long as possible. They also don’t know from day to day. We left Budapest on the 5th and the I read here that other ships could not get into Budapest on the same day, so it honestly is a case by case or ship by ship decision I guess. I can only tell you that we are very hAppy to be staying on the boat and feel that Avalon is doing their best to make it the memorable trip that we all planned for.

Today, in the words of Phil Collins it's "Another Day in Paradise" or hell if you are sitting in a bus. Sunny and warm.

Yesterday the weather forecasters got it completely wrong, no sun - it rained the whole day. Even though it rained, it has had no efffect on the river levels, they are still slowly falling.

According to our local weather experters (the farmers) it will need two weeks of heavy rain (flooding:o) to replace the lost ground water in order to guarantee enough run off to maintain the river levels.

Along the Danube, there are several job vacancies for Rain Makers although the lfe expectancy is not great.

The question is for November, do I build an Ark or another deck chair?