Danube water levels 2018 and similar topics - plus tips and info

notamermaid

Does anyone have any news or updates for Travelmarvel Diamond (part of the APT group) ? We are due to depart Budapest for Amsterdam on the 20th and looking at her position she doesn't seem to have moved from Cologne for several days .....low water levels are a concern and any news would be welcome. Anyone else due to sail ?

Does anyone have any news or updates for Travelmarvel Diamond (part of the APT group) ? We are due to depart Budapest for Amsterdam on the 20th and looking at her position she doesn't seem to have moved from Cologne for several days .....low water levels are a concern and any news would be welcome. Anyone else due to sail ?

Check the dates on those positions. I checked three sites and all show the “current” TM Diamond location as Cologne but dated in 2017.

We are booked on the TM Jewel departing Budapest in september. The trackers give up to date locations for that ship.

Check the dates on those positions. I checked three sites and all show the “current” TM Diamond location as Cologne but dated in 2017.

We are booked on the TM Jewel departing Budapest in september. The trackers give up to date locations for that ship.

Thank you for this. On the cruisemapper site we had noticed 2017 but the itinerary at the side is correct and the other ships appear to be moving so it's a bit of a puzzle. Perhaps not completely correct then and TM Diamond isn't stuck after all?

The Travelmarvel Diamond is a refurbished former Avalon ship, the Avalon Imagery, a so-called twin cruiser. Perhaps this site by the company/owner can help you with tracking her properly: https://www.kd-cy.com/en/fleet/schiffe-premicon/tc-travelmarvel-diamond/ Have a look at the embedded map, the kilometre figure appears to changing, looks as if the ship is on the move, currently travelling upstream towards Cologne.

notamermaid

The Travelmarvel Diamond is a refurbished former Avalon ship, the Avalon Imagery, a so-called twin cruiser. Perhaps this site by the company/owner can help you with tracking her properly: https://www.kd-cy.com/en/fleet/schiffe-premicon/tc-travelmarvel-diamond/ Have a look at the embedded map, the kilometre figure appears to changing, looks as if the ship is on the move, currently travelling upstream towards Cologne.

notamermaid

Thank you so much for this - we will keep a close eye on it.

It is currently raining in Augsburg (upper Danube), Nuremberg (of less importance as that is the canal) and Southeast of Straubing (hooray). Unfortunately, the continued heat could result in thunderstorms and hail with quite extreme scenarios. Hope all goes well. Tomorrow will see high temperatures in Bavaria again, up to 35 in Regensburg.

According to a local newspaper in Passau the gauging station at Pfelling showed 1.58m yesterday. Ships have got stranded in Vilshofen, Passau and Engelhartszell. Around Pfelling big ships can only start sailing again when the level has reached 1.90m. It is not clear from the report if this immediately applies to river cruise ships of all drafts.

notamermaid

That's why I think the Vilshofen to Budapest itinerary makes the most sense: no surprises when water levels get low. [same thing for Rhone cruises: Lyon to Arles is reliable, try to sail up the Saône to Macon or Chalon and you're looking for trouble.]

We did Vilshofen to Budapest on Gate 1 last week. We had to get off the boat at Bratislava and we’re bussed to Budapest from there. Guess you have to be flexible when things like this happen that are beyond your control. Gate 1 provided some nice perks and tried very hard to make our extra time in Budapest great!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

It is currently raining in Augsburg (upper Danube).

I hope that Augsburg is still on the Lech river ;) - but at least the Lech river is draining into the Danube river.

We had some rain and thunderstorms yesterday in Munich but not enough to get the river level of the Danube river up.

Pfelling currently shows 167 cm, 166 cm for yesterday and 162 cm for Monday. Not sure where the PNP got the 158 from. But this might have been for a couple of hours. The data given on the NID website is the daily average.

steamboats

Of course, steamboats, I should have been more accurate, thanks. I do not want to upset any Augsburger. 158cm, perhaps a dip for a couple of hours, could be. Thank you for mentioning the NID website, I had not seen that one yet, I tend to stick to pegel online.

notamermaid

Hi Avalon Waterways!

Such a kind response and yes, it must upset you too to see conditions deteriorate to such a degree!

We are booked on the WARZ at the end of the month and I have been tracking the Artistry, thinking there is no way it’ll make it to Basel on time. Is it still stuck in Linz?

Let’s hope the coming days of rains will bring some relief, but the water is still incredibly low all over. Cologne 1m! That’s crazy.

This is quite anxiety inducing, because we are so excited to travel with you!

I guess time will tell and I’ll be making a few calls tomorrow! Thanks again for being such gracious hosts! We are still hopeful!!! 😎

Hi Jupiter14,

A great fact about rivers: They ebb and flow. We very much hope to see more "flow" in the coming days and weeks, in anticipation for your vacation with us. As we all know by now, things can changes (sometimes significantly) in just one day and certainly from week-to-week. As your departure date nears, we should have more information. Of course you're welcome to reach out to us directly then - or any time. Wishing you all the best!

Of course, steamboats, I should have been more accurate, thanks. I do not want to upset any Augsburger. 158cm, perhaps a dip for a couple of hours, could be. Thank you for mentioning the NID website, I had not seen that one yet, I tend to stick to pegel online.

notamermaid

Augbergers were so upset, that they declared today a public holiday to look for the Danube.:halo:

For non Bavarian residents "PNP" is the local newspaper in Passau - Passauer Neuer Press.

Augbergers were so upset, that they declared today a public holiday to look for the Danube.:halo:

Augsburger Friedensfest - the only public holiday in Germany which is limited to one city. I didn´t try to call my collegues there yesterday :').

notamermaid, NID and HND websites are operated by the Bavarian authorities so I assume they are accurate ;). And as there is only one river gauge measuring the water level all websites should have the same database.

steamboats

BTW, no rain in Munich yesterday. Let´s see whether the thunderstorms are coming today...

What an offence of mine just before the Friedensfest! If anyone fancies a pre- or post-cruise into the depth of Bavaria, this is the lovely town of Augsburg: https://www.augsburg-tourismus.de/international

One of my first steps in tourism/the service sector brought me in contact with a couple of people from Landsberg (I worked together with them for a few days). Unfortunately I have never been to Landsberg but did a land tour in the Allgäu region. I know neither Landsberg nor Augsburg are in the Allgäu, but close enough to mention them together. A great region to explore, especially if you like many hills and hiking.

I hope things improve soon and the Lech sends a bit more water to the Danube. The Isar should a help a bit more as well.

notamermaid

Update on current APT Amsterdam to Budapest.

Today we were in Wurzburg. Now sailing to Bamburg.

On Saturday we change ships - AmaVenita and join AmaReina. Excursions go ahead as planned.

Originally we were to stay at Regensburg Sunday night. If river conditions don't improve we will stay in Engelhartszell instead - with excursions to Passau (half hour by coach) or Regensburg (2.5 hours by coach each way so very full day) on offer. After that - who knows?

If anyone knows more please share! Understandably our tour director is sharing information on a day by day basis.

On the upside - the trip has been fantastic so far!

Update on current APT Amsterdam to Budapest.

Today we were in Wurzburg. Now sailing to Bamburg.

On Saturday we change ships - AmaVenita and join AmaReina. Excursions go ahead as planned.

Originally we were to stay at Regensburg Sunday night. If river conditions don't improve we will stay in Engelhartszell instead - with excursions to Passau (half hour by coach) or Regensburg (2.5 hours by coach each way so very full day) on offer. After that - who knows?

If anyone knows more please share! Understandably our tour director is sharing information on a day by day basis.

On the upside - the trip has been fantastic so far!

Hi ohmuriel

Thanks for further update. I have been tracking the four APT ships that rae currently doing the Amsterdam to Budapest (or reverse) itinerary and have been encouraged to see that so far they have managed to stick pretty closely to the original itinerary. Where will you leave the AmaVenita on Saturday- in Nuremberg?

The AmaBella (which is doing the same itinerary one day ahead of the AmaReina) has seemed to make it as far as Vilshofen. I hope it does not get stuck there! I guess it is preferable to have a longer bus ride than to risk having a ship stranded and unable to go back down river to Budapest.

How is the weather - have you had any rain on your trip? I am starting to get to the point where I am hoping for a rainy holiday, for the sake of the fish and the fire risk. Are tempatures cooling off at all?

No rain to speak of - a few drops this afternoon. Yes we leave the AmaVenita at Nuremberg on Saturday. Tomorrow is forecast to hit 25 degrees Celsius in Bamberg - other days have been 10 degrees warmer. Everything has been handled well so far. We are getting 25euris per passenger for lunch on Saturday as we will be on the move - expecting a 3 hour coach trip to Engelhatszell to meet AmaReina. We'll see what happens after that!

We did Vilshofen to Budapest on Gate 1 last week. We had to get off the boat at Bratislava and we’re bussed to Budapest from there. Guess you have to be flexible when things like this happen that are beyond your control. Gate 1 provided some nice perks and tried very hard to make our extra time in Budapest great!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Dear Dbteah2,

Looks like we are doing the same cruise as you with Gate1 starting August 21 in Vilshoven . Please share what Gate1 did when sailing was not possible. What kind of perks did you received? Thank you very much for information - it will be nice to know what to expect. Irina

Sent from my SM-G900V using Forums mobile app

Good news... it is raining here in Munich ... but I can´t tell you whether and how much it will influence the river levels of the Danube river ... we´ll have to wait and see...

steamboats

We had heavy thunder storms and heavy rain along the Danube (in and around Passau, currently drizzling).

The rain does not seem to have had any effect on the Danube levels, may have to wait a day or two to see what happens when the run off from it's tributaries reach the Danube.

At least the grass looks a bit greener this morning.

Notamermaid, Steamboats,

I'm a bit puzzled, when the talk s about the Danube level at Pfelling, you both mention a level of about 160 / 170 cm.

When I look at both HND & NID, I see the Danube level at about 245 cm and the river volume at about 160 / 170 m³/s.

Am I wronly interpreting the table?

I would say you are quite correct about the figures. I had a look at my earlier post and read that I quoted a local newspaper. That is where the 158cm came from. Clearly the volume of water in m³/s passing the Pfelling gauge was meant instead. I did not look it up myself. HND and NID I only had a look at afterwards as I am not so familiar with the sites. For purposes of looking up the levels I stick to pegel online and for predictions I chose the "Hochwasserzentralen" website. From that site local ones link to the specific rivers but I rarely use that option for other purposes than the situation in Bade-Wurttemberg.

notamermaid

Hello All

Sorry this may be in the wrong place but not being a regular poster I couldn't find how to post, so I've done a reply.

My question is 'does anyone know which Viking ships are 'out of place' on the Danube because of the low water especially between Bucharest and Budapest?'

Thanks

Hello All

Sorry this may be in the wrong place but not being a regular poster I couldn't find how to post, so I've done a reply.

My question is 'does anyone know which Viking ships are 'out of place' on the Danube because of the low water especially between Bucharest and Budapest?'

Thanks

I would suggest you go straight to the horse's mouth, they will know where their boats are located.