Danube water levels 2018 and similar topics - plus tips and info

notamermaid

Wow! tracyasu,

Great information once again! Interesting that you were able to proceed as well as you did in spite of the river level.

We booked the Scenic Amber very 'last minute' (on May 31) and nabbed the last available cabin between then and into September when we have another trip planned. It's our first river cruise and the cabin happened to be on the lower deck... we only have UP to go from there, lol. Have done lots of ocean cruises including Europe and have always been cautious about the river levels. However, there was cause for celebration and we threw caution to the wind! Time to pack for the heat wave. In Nova Scotia it's been in the 30'sC with high humidity for several weeks and usually doesn't last this long. Can't wait to see how the river cruise unfolds!!! Thanks for the tips.

We too booked late, in April, I am not one that can plan a year out and just can't wait for things. We bought during a 2 day sale so got a pretty good deal on the diamond deck so we jumped on it. This was only our 2nd cruise, our first was with Viking in 2014 (the year after the huge floods) we lucked out then but it was in April so it was a bit cool, rainy and over Easter, which I had no idea that so many things are closed from Th-Mon during Easter..... won't travel over that time again.

It doesn't happen often (high/low water) but since it has I think the cruise companies know how to adapt and have contingency plans in effect so you should be fine. The good thing is you have found out in advice via this website so you are not blindsided. Prior to our cruise we received no info in advance but since I had been following posts, on cruise critic, leading up to our trip (7/19-29) I was prepared. On day one I asked our Cruise Director his thoughts on our trip would be altered and he said no.....

Just glad I was aware so that when the announcement came I wasn't blindsided like a lot of folks on our ship. Fingers crossed yours works out well....

And pack cool clothes because you are right it was HOT!!! We survived and were thankful that we missed the 110+ degrees we had in Texas when we were gone

Thank goodness for the pool on Amber~!!!

ENJOY

Hi, We are also on the Amber with Adventure Ahead who alerted me to this thread , Thank you for your help . You stated it was very hot, Did any women wear Knee length shorts on daily tours which did not include churches ? Any other advice for clothing- men and women’s,

Yes, knee high shorts were ok. We visited a church in Cesky that was very strict on covered shoulders and I had on to the knee shorts and they were ok. I wore short sleeves most days and had a light jacket in my backpack for a just in case moment. Most places do not have air conditioning so you want to be comfortable. I purchased a couple bamboo shirts prior to the trip and they helped out a lot. The ship is pleasant and in the evenings, during dinner/in the lounge or outside, I needed a light shawl or jacket as I get cold. Most mean wore shorts during the day and slacks at night. Jackets were worn during the concert in Vienna and most ladies had on a nice dress (like what you would wear to church). Capris/knee high shorts were the norm for most ladies. Bring your bathing suit too for the days you are cruising a dip in the pool (small pool) is refreshing.

Enjoy.

• Members

Our editor is being moved to Scenic Jasper, at least to start.

Here's our story on the issue (https://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=8794).

We've had a few editors affected. Perhaps the biggest change is Crystal Mahler, which has turned their Amsterdam-Budapest itinerary into round-trip Amsterdam.

Thank you Chris. Hope all goes well for your editors. Looking forward to reading how Scenic manages under the difficult circumstances.

Perhaps not a perfect time to post this, but conditions will eventually return to normal so please not be put off, anyone, from choosing a river cruise on the Danube. If you are unsure about what you might see and for how long to go, here is an article - from a British perspective - that might give you some inspiration: https://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/cruises/articles/what-is-the-ideal-length-for-a-danube-cruise/

notamermaid

Thank you Chris. Hope all goes well for your editors. Looking forward to reading how Scenic manages under the difficult circumstances.

At least they´ve left Budapest yesterday and are currently approaching Bratislava (according to Marinetraffic).

steamboats

I'm currently sailing on an APT river cruise (4th-18th August) from Amsterdam to Budapest - sailing today from `Utrecht to Cologne. We know we will be changing from the AmaVenita to the AmaReina at the weekend but so far no other indications of itinerary changes. Of course, anything can happen but so far all is fabulous!

I'm currently sailing on an APT river cruise (4th-18th August) from Amsterdam to Budapest - sailing today from `Utrecht to Cologne. We know we will be changing from the AmaVenita to the AmaReina at the weekend but so far no other indications of itinerary changes. Of course, anything can happen but so far all is fabulous!

That’s great news, I have been tracking the APT ships to see how they are going! Anxious to hear if you can get through the Rhine Gorge between Andernach and Rudesheim. Enjoy!

Happy to keep all posted if I get a chance. Gosh this river is stunning! Just had update from cruise director. Only change to set itinerary I see is slight delay starting excursions tomorrow in Cologne, due to captain having to take things slowly due to low river level. Today we started at 8.30am - tomorrow the plan is 9.30am. All other plans appear to be as normal at this stage. We will change ship on Saturday 11th - we leave for our Nuremberg or Schwarzach Valley excursions and arrive back at about 4.30 (via coach) to our new rooms on the AmaReina.

Got back yesterday from Viking Nuremburg to Budapest. We were bused between Regensburg and Passau to switch ships due to low water levels. Then, we could not cruise into Budapest because of low water. Have to say that Viking handled things very well. In Budapest they put us up in a five star (a real five star) hotel. Hotel food was even better than the ship food. The Program Director travelled with us and ran the program from the hotel. In the end they moved both excursions and optional excursions so we missed close to nothing. Look for longer review under another heading.

We are booked on Scenic Pearl for Aug. 20. It was suppose to be in Budapest yesterday, leaving for Amsterdam. According to cruisemapper, it was nowhere near Budapest. I suspect that we are in for some changes on our 2 week cruise and longer and more bus rides than planned for.

It's nice to have this thread for updates from others already doing their cruise. Thank you!

• Members

So our editor on Scenic Jasper never swapped ships. But they were told they can't go further than Vilshofen. So they are turning around and going back to Passau; tours are being added and others are still being done with buses. The ship will debark in Engelshartzell, where passengers will be transferred to their flights in Munich. It's a longer bus ride, for sure, but she says people have been handling it all very well.

So our editor on Scenic Jasper never swapped ships. But they were told they can't go further than Vilshofen. So they are turning around and going back to Passau; tours are being added and others are still being done with buses. The ship will debark in Engelshartzell, where passengers will be transferred to their flights in Munich. It's a longer bus ride, for sure, but she says people have been handling it all very well.

That's why I think the Vilshofen to Budapest itinerary makes the most sense: no surprises when water levels get low. [same thing for Rhone cruises: Lyon to Arles is reliable, try to sail up the Saône to Macon or Chalon and you're looking for trouble.]

That's why I think the Vilshofen to Budapest itinerary makes the most sense: no surprises when water levels get low. [same thing for Rhone cruises: Lyon to Arles is reliable, try to sail up the Saône to Macon or Chalon and you're looking for trouble.]

Except that right now there seems to be trouble sailing into Budapest too.

Received a call from a friend who was booked on Avalon next week and received a call from their TA that the trip was cancelled. Talk about a bummer.

So sorry to disappoint your friend, mskaufman ... We're disappointed too, but due to low waters, we made the difficult decision to proactively cancel two upcoming cruises: WBN 80812T/WBN0 80814T aboard the Avalon Vista and WZRA 80813 aboard the Avalon Artistry II. Unfortunately, given the current conditions, these ships will not arrive to their intended departure destinations in time to operate these scheduled cruises. And, knowing our guests want to enjoy every moment of their vacation, we didn’t feel we could fulfill that expectation on these two departures.

We are contacting all guests scheduled to depart on these itineraries (and the travel agents who booked them) to offer them options, including a full refund plus a future cruise credit.

For travelers reading this thread ... If you are booked with Avalon Waterways on one of these specific departures or have questions or concerns about your upcoming vacation, we invite you to contact your travel agent or call us directly at 866.397.6593 or email traveleradvisory@globusfamily.com (our U.S. office hours are Monday through Friday, 6 AM to 6 PM MT and Saturday, 7 AM to 3:30 PM MT). We would be happy to address your individual concerns and/or answer any questions you may have, one-on-one.

Thanks!

Hi Avalon Waterways!

Such a kind response and yes, it must upset you too to see conditions deteriorate to such a degree!

We are booked on the WARZ at the end of the month and I have been tracking the Artistry, thinking there is no way it’ll make it to Basel on time. Is it still stuck in Linz?

Let’s hope the coming days of rains will bring some relief, but the water is still incredibly low all over. Cologne 1m! That’s crazy.

This is quite anxiety inducing, because we are so excited to travel with you!

I guess time will tell and I’ll be making a few calls tomorrow! Thanks again for being such gracious hosts! We are still hopeful!!! 😎