Port Galveston closed due to fog

proggieus

Why so long to get 15 ships inbound? Limited facilities to offload the cargo? Cargo offload takes a long time?

It's typically (depending on what dock/terminal you're going to) about 8 hours from pilot to dock. Channel is such that sections do not allow two way traffic, so downbounds and upbounds have to be scheduled around this. Then, you need to move the outbounds out first, so there are docks for the inbounds. So, if the weather clears, they will move about 6-8 hours of outbounds, and then start bringing in some inbounds, then back to outbounds, and so on. Then, depending on the ship, the terminal, and the product being moved (most of the traffic in the Sabine/Port Arthur/Beaumont/Nederland area is petroleum product), loading or unloading a tanker can take 24 hours to a few days (mixed loads like gasoline and diesel have to have separate pipelines, or have "line flushes" between products, "floating" the top off an empty tank (the top of those round storage tanks moves up and down with the volume of product in the tank to reduce flammable vapor area) takes slow pumping, etc, etc.)

Since we are scheduled at the refinery after another ship, we are at the mercy of her schedule first, so first the port needs to open, then they need to move the ship currently at that dock outbound, then schedule her inbound, load her, schedule her outbound, and then schedule us inbound. Normally, it wouldn't take more than a couple of days, but the weather forecast doesn't show any break in the southerly winds for about a week, and that is what is causing the fog, so no one foresees a general or long term opening of the port in the near future.

A good proportion of the ships out here are waiting to follow another ship that is stuck out here as well, just like us. Each refinery and oil company will plead its case to the pilots to prioritize their ships, but its all backed up and will take some time to "unclog" it.

It's typically (depending on what dock/terminal you're going to) about 8 hours from pilot to dock. Channel is such that sections do not allow two way traffic, so downbounds and upbounds have to be scheduled around this. Then, you need to move the outbounds out first, so there are docks for the inbounds. So, if the weather clears, they will move about 6-8 hours of outbounds, and then start bringing in some inbounds, then back to outbounds, and so on. Then, depending on the ship, the terminal, and the product being moved (most of the traffic in the Sabine/Port Arthur/Beaumont/Nederland area is petroleum product), loading or unloading a tanker can take 24 hours to a few days (mixed loads like gasoline and diesel have to have separate pipelines, or have "line flushes" between products, "floating" the top off an empty tank (the top of those round storage tanks moves up and down with the volume of product in the tank to reduce flammable vapor area) takes slow pumping, etc, etc.)

Since we are scheduled at the refinery after another ship, we are at the mercy of her schedule first, so first the port needs to open, then they need to move the ship currently at that dock outbound, then schedule her inbound, load her, schedule her outbound, and then schedule us inbound. Normally, it wouldn't take more than a couple of days, but the weather forecast doesn't show any break in the southerly winds for about a week, and that is what is causing the fog, so no one foresees a general or long term opening of the port in the near future.

A good proportion of the ships out here are waiting to follow another ship that is stuck out here as well, just like us. Each refinery and oil company will plead its case to the pilots to prioritize their ships, but its all backed up and will take some time to "unclog" it.

Interesting, I didn't realize it took so long to offload the product. I guess companies like yours have to be very flexible with scheduling, not quite like the cruise ship schedules. Thanks for taking the time to post the details.

Interesting, I didn't realize it took so long to offload the product. I guess companies like yours have to be very flexible with scheduling, not quite like the cruise ship schedules. Thanks for taking the time to post the details.

No problem, sitting over my morning coffee. We are, like many ships in the petroleum trade, on a "time charter", which means the owner of the oil pays us a daily rate for the ship, for a fixed number of days. How many cargoes we carry in that time period is a matter of concern for them, not really for us. Even a "spot charter", which is a charter to carry a specific number of cargoes, has a "demurrage" charge in them, so that weather delays like this don't impact the tanker company, just the product owner. It's a crap shoot for them, and one reason why petroleum products cost as they do.

But, for us, yes there are challenges. We have food and spare parts to be delivered to the ship, and we need to be flexible enough to either change a day for delivery at the dock, or hire a launch to bring it out to the ship at anchor (these small work boats don't need a pilot, so they can move in a "closed port"). The same goes for crew change, I never know exactly when I'm getting off, or coming back, this time I came back a week later than "the plan". That just means I'm here a week later. For us personally, you learn never to schedule family occasions too close to crew change times.

Just got a refill on the java, and have the day's work planned out, so I'll steal a bit of company time to natter a bit more.

Sometimes the ships are used as extra storage facilities. The oil company will buy product at a good price, knowing that they don't have enough storage tanks, or refining capability to take the product right away, so the ship sits at anchor fully loaded "awaiting orders" for when to go in and unload. Or, the terminal has not received enough product for the tanker to load, because of pipeline scheduling, so we "await orders" until they have the right quantity on hand.

I've worked tankers, bulkers, container ships, RO/RO ships, and cruise ships, and definitely the bulkers and tankers do not work to fixed schedules like the other types.

Very clear this morning, port is open, they will start outbounds soon, we'll see how long this lasts.

Just got a refill on the java, and have the day's work planned out, so I'll steal a bit of company time to natter a bit more.

Sometimes the ships are used as extra storage facilities. The oil company will buy product at a good price, knowing that they don't have enough storage tanks, or refining capability to take the product right away, so the ship sits at anchor fully loaded "awaiting orders" for when to go in and unload. Or, the terminal has not received enough product for the tanker to load, because of pipeline scheduling, so we "await orders" until they have the right quantity on hand.

I've worked tankers, bulkers, container ships, RO/RO ships, and cruise ships, and definitely the bulkers and tankers do not work to fixed schedules like the other types.

Very clear this morning, port is open, they will start outbounds soon, we'll see how long this lasts.

Good luck! When you finally do get to go home, how long do you get off work?

Good luck! When you finally do get to go home, how long do you get off work?

We typically work even time on/time off. So, lately my relief and I find that the 75 days on/75 days off rotates the holidays nicely and doesn't make for too long a tour onboard.

For President's day, we have our 20' x 30' US flag hoisted on our crane.

We typically work even time on/time off. So, lately my relief and I find that the 75 days on/75 days off rotates the holidays nicely and doesn't make for too long a tour onboard.

For President's day, we have our 20' x 30' US flag hoisted on our crane.

Nice!

Hopefully you can get out of here quick, we have some nasty weather coming in later this week.

Yeah, chatting with the Captain, and while it appears to be very clear (compared to the last few days), and we can see other ships in the anchorage, it is still only 2 miles vis, so it could close back in any time. I see the thunderboomers later this week, but the winds continue to be forecast as southerly until next Monday, so the potential for fog will still be around. And that's another thing that slows down petroleum cargo operations, you can't work cargo with lightning around.

We'll be going to Beaumont. Yeah, pretty common for the port to clear midday, but the lower channel to still be foggy, port is still closed ....

You’ll be passing right by us then. We’re in Port Neches, a few blocks from the riverfront park (before the bend in the Neches River heading toward Smith’s Bluff cutoff).

I can see the ships headed outbound toward Port Arthur this morning, now that the Port is open.

If you get a chance, post when your tanker is finally cleared inbound. We’ll try to wave at you from the park as you pass by.

Yeah that was a fun conversation with the airline when i had to try and explain their own change fee policies to them.

Got a flight out tomorrow morning. And a hotel for tonight.

It’s going to be a zoo to disembark:eek:

Did you still have to pay the change fee? I was told I needed to contact American Airlines to try and get a refund for the fee, and I was wondering if it was worth a try. (Please no flaming here, I know if I booked travel with RC, there would not be a fee, but I used my points for my flights)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We were able to change our SW flight from Sunday at 1 PM to Monday at 11 AM from Hobby straight thru' to OKC . SW has no change fees, but does charge whatever the fare difference is. We were not charged the extra fare due to this being a circumstance over which we had no control. I heard a couple of horror stories about AA while still on board Liberty. We were off about 3:15 with suites and Pinnacles. Glad to hear that LB got away last night late. I was concerned that she might not get out of port until later today. We know that fog is common this time of year, but this was our first problem with debarkation. The Windjammer was open for lunch as well as Cafe Promenade and Sorrento's. The back to back people and Pinnacles were offered their usual lunch in the dining room. So there were many food choices. But of course lines for the two places on the Promenade had long lines. Good to hear about the $25 OBC. We were delayed boarding once several years ago and were given $20 OBC back then.

The terminal itself was a mess yesterday. People were gathered up at the exit not knowing where to go because they didn't have transportation. At the same time folks getting on had no idea where to go and were getting in the way of those leaving. Customs was running super slow and leaving the ship wasn't as organized. They did have the windjammer and sorrentos open for a bit. We were told to get in line even though our numbers weren't called yet only to stand for an hour on deck 4 waiting to get on the gangway.

To top it off the broke a wheel off both pieces of my luggage. Booo

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I agree the port and disembarkation was a mess. I spoke with a few people that we met at the Hotel we had to stay at in Houston because we had missed our flight. We were the lucky ones compared to the stories I heard. Our driver from You first limo stayed in the area for the 6 hours and was there to meet us when we finally got off the ship. I heard one couple say their ride had just cancelled their pick up. Another couple had missed their flight both ways. They were on the plane headed to Galveston when they closed the airport. The couple had to fly to Houston, stay 2 nights then flew to Roatan to catch the ship. They also missed their return flight for home. Another couple was telling us about a group that was trying desperately to make their flight, and when they got to the airport, they realized they had the wrong luggage! Can you imagine? They sent the driver back to the port to return the luggage. But, I guess they were going to fly home without their own luggage.

I agree the port and disembarkation was a mess. I spoke with a few people that we met at the Hotel we had to stay at in Houston because we had missed our flight. We were the lucky ones compared to the stories I heard. Our driver from You first limo stayed in the area for the 6 hours and was there to meet us when we finally got off the ship. I heard one couple say their ride had just cancelled their pick up. Another couple had missed their flight both ways. They were on the plane headed to Galveston when they closed the airport. The couple had to fly to Houston, stay 2 nights then flew to Roatan to catch the ship. They also missed their return flight for home. Another couple was telling us about a group that was trying desperately to make their flight, and when they got to the airport, they realized they had the wrong luggage! Can you imagine? They sent the driver back to the port to return the luggage. But, I guess they were going to fly home without their own luggage.

Wow...just wow. I don't feel so bad driving weary eyed at 1:30AM

Did you still have to pay the change fee? I was told I needed to contact American Airlines to try and get a refund for the fee, and I was wondering if it was worth a try. (Please no flaming here, I know if I booked travel with RC, there would not be a fee, but I used my points for my flights)

yes we still had to pay the change fee, they wanted $200 per ticket, i pulled up their site and it said it should have been $75 since it was within 24 hour of departure and the new flight was within 24 hours of the request. had to get a supervisoer involved and he finally said they would do it for $100.00 per ticket, i agreed because i needed to get the flight changed, they called back 5 minutes later and said they would do the $75.

It took out friends until 5:30 to clear customs and get loaded into their car they parked at the terminal parking-

it was 8:45 before they got past Houston.

On a positive note-

My wife overheard a solo traveler from australia was a bit paniced over missing her flight and didnt know what she was going to do that night for lodging-

Another cruiser from the area offered up a room in her house for the night.

It took out friends until 5:30 to clear customs and get loaded into their car they parked at the terminal parking-

it was 8:45 before they got past Houston.

On a positive note-

My wife overheard a solo traveler from australia was a bit paniced over missing her flight and didnt know what she was going to do that night for lodging-

Another cruiser from the area offered up a room in her house for the night.

Wow that's crazy. It took us way longer to get out of Houston than usual. We stopped at buckies for some dinner but it was like 9pm till I was on a highway that didn't resemble stupid traffic.

yes we still had to pay the change fee, they wanted $200 per ticket, i pulled up their site and it said it should have been $75 since it was within 24 hour of departure and the new flight was within 24 hours of the request. had to get a supervisoer involved and he finally said they would do it for $100.00 per ticket, i agreed because i needed to get the flight changed, they called back 5 minutes later and said they would do the $75.

What airlines were you flying on?