No formal nights!

marylizcat

As far as I can see all cruise ship will become a block of holiday flats with a top deck given over to a range of high street takeaways (KFC McD etc) and strewn with plastic boxes etc. :mad:

What about the zip line? :)

What about the zip line? :)

What’s wrong with zip lines? Quicker than tenders when transferring from ship to shore!

Back on topic, the reason for no formal nights on short cruises could just be to save passengers having to take a large amount of luggage for just a few days holiday.

Back on topic, the reason for no formal nights on short cruises could just be to save passengers having to take a large amount of luggage for just a few days holiday.

Makes no difference to the amount of luggage for the ladies as they have to take an outfit for the evening of whatever category. I suppose it saves the men packing a dinner suit, but that is only a small extra really!

Makes no difference to the amount of luggage for the ladies as they have to take an outfit for the evening of whatever category. I suppose it saves the men packing a dinner suit, but that is only a small extra really!

It could be for the crew, not having to dress up on such a short cruise. They don't get a day off on short cruises, so this might help them (washing of uniform etc.)

There is not a straight choice between large resort ships and small boutique ones, as is evident by the new builds of HAL, Saga, and Viking. There will always be a range of offers available, from the Grill Class to that of the singlet, tatto, elbows on table one.

49 cruises 17 ships 3 liners 143 ports

There will always be a range of offers available, from the Grill Class to that of the singlet, tatto, elbows on table one.

Have some pron=blem with this statement.

1) What is a tatto?

2) What is wrong with elbows on a table?

It is table height and quite acceptable to do so, this rumour of it not being allowed started in the 70s and no one knows where it came from and why elbows aren't allowed to rest there.

There are a number of theories about elbows on the table.

Middles ages - everyone ate at benches and there was limited space so if you put your elbows on the table you took up too much space.

Press gangs - sailors on ships ate leaning forward with their elbows on the table to stop their bowl of food moving about in high seas. They were seen as rough and uncouth so people did not want to emulate this. Also press gangs would look out for people doing this in taverns and know they had previous experience at sea. (So to do this at seas is a tradition😀)

18th century - considered rude as it got in the way of the servants clearing the plates in the correct manner - so supposedly a sign of lack of breeding and table manners.

Modern times - Because my mum said so!

Following on from Eglesbrech's post #57, with the establishment of the local authority Workhouse system in the early Victorian period, for housing the destitute/homeless, there were several generations of children raised in them. These children had to guard against their meagre rations being stolen, hence they 'guarded' their plates, We know that habits/manners gained in childhood are difficult to alter latter in life. Thus many Victorian parents 'encouraged' their children to sit up straight and not to lean on the table, lest in latter life they were assumed to be ex-Workhouse, which in turn would reflect upon their parents as having been at some time destitute. The Workhouse system ended in the 1930's(?) but many parents/grandparents continued with this aspect of their children's training and indeed continue to do so to the present day.

It is table height and quite acceptable to do so, this rumour of it not being allowed started in the 70s and no one knows where it came from and why elbows aren't allowed to rest there

I can testify that it did not start in the 70's - well not the 1970s at least !!!

As a laddie I can mind being reprimanded for such uncouth table manners - the workhouse origins does seem credible, and very interesting.

• 2 weeks later...

Regarding other lines dropping formals for 4 nights or less. Cunard have done that very thing. My 4 night cruise in January was informal only, so men still needed a jacket. Same cruise in 2016 had one formal. We have two on Braemar plus British night. It's my dad's first cruise so he may enjoy the old songs.

I see that a 22+ night cruise this year has 4 formal nights yet the similar one next year has 3. I hope this isn't an indication that Fred is phasing them out.

Probably, in their minds, to get a younger crowd on board. But as I have seen with the younger crowd on other cruise lines, that they want to dress up just as much as us older groups. The teens like it, as they get a chance to wear their prom outfits again.

So looks like Fred needs another excuse.

Probably, in their minds, to get a younger crowd on board. But as I have seen with the younger crowd on other cruise lines, that they want to dress up just as much as us older groups. The teens like it, as they get a chance to wear their prom outfits again.

So looks like Fred needs another excuse.

Yes, I agree. As you say, they love getting dressed up for their prom nights. Our sons loved the formal nights when they cruised with us as young adults.

I still feel there is a cost cutting reason behind it. I don’t have the brochure with me, but on each cruise page it says something about the price including food, entertainment, etc and x number of formal nights. This indicates to me that there is a cost to them of holding formal nights.

Somebody suggested laundry costs for the crew getting dressed up. If so, I would rather they didn’t get dressed up, but let the passengers do so!

Sent from my iPad using Forums