Rude To Ask for 2 Plates of Something?

kmtjones803

we usually order 2+ appetizers + the soups. We've found these are some of the real culinary treasures on the ship. On our last cruise my wife ordered 4 shrimp cocktails on the final night .The waiter laughed about it as he handed them to her.

On one trip the waiter was showing us the desserts on a platter and he asked what we wanted .My roommate said one of each. The waiter sat the platter down in front of him:D . He ate them all and everyone got a big kick out of it.

Have fun your on vacation!!!!If your having fun the waiter will also

Seeeuuuu

Jeff

If you order two of any item (appetizer,soup,etc.), at the same time, the waiter will probably bring them to you; however, I have learned that they prefer bringing them one at a time. That way, there's no waste - just in case you don't actually eat the second one.:)

Every night I order at least one or two appetizers, something (or 2 somethings) from the main dinner menu, a desert, and also a steak and baked potato... on the side.... EVERY NIGHT!

... Now I know why my deck smelled like sewage on the last day of the cruise! :D

• 2 weeks later...

Whenever we've been undecided about something, it seems the wait staff encourages you to order both items you're debating on. They are not typically large portions, so not a lot will go to waste if you decide you don't like it or can't eat it.

On NCL I've ordered more than 1 appetizer a number of times, as well as a salad or a soup (or sometimes both) and they bring them out one at a time. So, hopefully you are dining with others that like to try as many items as you do. :D

• 3 weeks later...
If you order two of any item (appetizer,soup,etc.), at the same time, the waiter will probably bring them to you; however, I have learned that they prefer bringing them one at a time. That way, there's no waste - just in case you don't actually eat the second one.:)

I think that's probably true with entrées, bringing them 1 at a time, but I don't think the waitstaff are as concerned with possible "waste" as they are with having their tables run as smoothly as possible. Good waiters will do everything they can to bend over backward & keep the people at their tables happy, & the food coming & the empty plates going at a brisk rate (don't want to miss getting good seats at the show!). That said, I know they try to keep "extra" trips to the kitchen to a minimum, to keep to a "routine". If I remember correctly, on my past 2 cruises, if we ordered 2 appetizers, salads or desserts, they were pretty much all brought at the same time as everyone else's. If you ordered 2 entrées, they asked you if you wanted 1 brought first.

Sha

• 2 months later...

We order as many of whatever we want & sometimes order something new & exotic to "taste & share".

I noticed tho, that even tho they tend to bring you only one appetizer (or soup or whatever) at a time, the others are already at the waiter's station, ready to be delivered to you. It looked like (to me) that they brought out enough for everyone to have a first appetizer, then immediately went & got any 2nds & were ready to serve whenever we were ready to eat!

Yum!

Sha

• 2 weeks later...

The custom on a lot of ships these days is to wait until everyone receives their first lobster and then passengers can have seconds. I'm allergic to lobster, so I get mine and give it to hubbie. :) But usually nearly everyone gets seconds on the sailings that I've been on.

Have a great trip,

Donna

Never had a problem ordering extrea lobster. 2 or sometimes 3 and lots of times after the second the waiter will just automatically bring a third! Same thing with escargot! I love those things.

Laura

I often order two appetizers - sometimes two different ones and sometimes two of the same. (Any time any ship is offering spring rolls I need a couple of orders.) I have never been looked at funny or questioned. I have learned though that if you think you may want more than one of something order all of them up front. They may or may not bring them to you all at once but at least they know you want them and will get them for you.

If I order two orders of spring rolls I will get them both at the same time on the same plate. But if I order a spring roll and a chicken sate I will get one of them first and, when I have finished that one, the waiter will come and clear the plate then bring me the other item I requested. If you wait until after you have finished one - especially at the late seating with the apps, to order a second the kitchen may have totally moved on and cleaned up so you could be denied.

What about order 2 lobsters? When we were on NCL my DH ordered lobster every night. We'll be on Valor this year. Has anyone ordered 2 lobsters?

No problem at all on Carnival. I always order one lobster tail, along w/prime rib. If I'm still hungry, I'll order another lobster tail. Never had a problem. I've even had waiters ask if I'd like another one.

On my last Carnival cruise, a tablemate had 6 lobster tails. On several cruises, I've seen folks order multiple lobster tails...they've brought them out, but one at a time.

Archived