Anyone tried these new style full face snorkel masks?

We bought one apiece and tested them in our pool at home. They work great! We were hoping to use them in Great Stirrup Cay but our Captain decided to cancel that stop due to high winds preventing tendering that day. Hopefully next time!

Anyone know of a way to snorkel in glasses? Snokling used to be my favorite part of the cruise......but u can't wear contacts any more.

They do make prescription lenses in Goggles (~$16) and in Regular Masks (~$40 and up). There are a couple of brands that sell prescription fit ins for the full face masks.

I bought a full face mask for my upcoming cruise (in 8 days!) so i cannot wait to use it. Been looking at them and reading about them for over a year now. The prices have really come down on them too (~$20 to upwards of $100). I really hope i love it because i am not bringing a backup mask and snorkel lol.

Just back from Caribbean and used the full face snorkel a lot. I'm very claustrophobic and thought it might take some getting used to, but after a few practises it was easy to use and I actually preferred it, saw a few others using them too so they are catching on!

As a gentleman rocking the bald guy with a beard look....how well do these cooperate with facial hair?

I purchased mine from amazon and looks through several brands and their reviews. Beards came up many times and reviewers said it work out fine!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

As a gentleman rocking the bald guy with a beard look....how well do these cooperate with facial hair?

These are better than regular masks for people with mustaches because a regular mask can't seal under the nose due to the mustache. I think you might have a problem with a full-face mask and a beard getting a good seal. The mask goes under your chin and then up from there, where your beard would be.

Just got back from our cruise and I used the full face snorkel mask - I vote thumbs up!!

Took a bit to get used to breathing in it but once i got the hang of it i was good to go!

I bought the

Vaincre 180° Full Face Snorkel Mask with Panoramic View

from Amazon for about $19 (Direct from Vaincre)

I have no first hand knowledge of these masks, but I did once see a news report saying there are concerns about them because death rates due to drowning while snorkeling have increased dramatically recently, and many of the victims were using full face snorkel masks. There is no hard data as to what is causing the deaths and what, if any, role these new masks have in the increased rate.

Just Google "full face snorkel mask drowning danger" and you'll see links to numerous stories about it. Here's one:

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/hawaii-full-face-snorkel-mask-related-deaths/

I have no first hand knowledge of these masks, but I did once see a news report saying there are concerns about them because death rates due to drowning while snorkeling have increased dramatically recently, and many of the victims were using full face snorkel masks. There is no hard data as to what is causing the deaths and what, if any, role these new masks have in the increased rate.

Just Google "full face snorkel mask drowning danger" and you'll see links to numerous stories about it. Here's one:

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/hawaii-full-face-snorkel-mask-related-deaths/

Interesting article, thank you for sharing. While the mask may have contributed to deaths is not directly attributed, merely suspected, I can see how it is a possibility.

We have the full face masks, but we also do not go alone. My kids (just barely adults) are in a pair or we are all 4 together. I don't like getting water in my ears so I swim alongside. Gotta have a buddy system. However, being aware of this risk could help prepare someone to know how to react, so again, thank you.

I'm glad someone mentioned the safety concerns. I too read about them. Thought of trying it. Having asthma, I decided against it. I was wanting to try snorkeling in the Bahamas in Dec. Having 7 months, I may still decide to.

I can see they are trying to gather more information on these masks to see if the data pans out. It is important to know because I would hate to lose someone or myself due to faulty design and co2 build up. We are trying them again this week but will keep an eye on each other for certain

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Forums mobile app

• 2 weeks later...
Love mine now. But it did take a bit to get used to it.

Sent from my LG-LS993 using Forums mobile app

I agree! I used mine at CoCo Cay last year and I tried it at a pool before going. That was a good idea just to play with the seal and get used to it. CoCo Cay was really choppy when we went so it was a bit more stressful for me...seal wasn't right, took mask off, couldn't stop getting splashed in the face with choppy waves, couldn't get the seal right again....just ended up going back & relaxing. LOL.

I definitely liked it better than the traditional snorkel, just need a calmer water day next time!! :)

Update: There have been some concerns raised recently over these full face masks and carbon dioxide buildup due to the increased dead space compared to a traditional snorkel. The key is apparently a nice tight fit over the nose and mouth, with the exhaled air being pushed out the sides, and a functioning snorkel valve that prevents exhaled CO2 buildup in the system. Experts recommend wearing the mask for a period of time out of the water to make sure that it is functioning properly and to take full deep breaths that are greater than the dead space within the snorkel.

• 3 weeks later...

I wear glasses and bought a snorkel mask on-line that matched my glasses for seeing. That was a few years back and can't remember the site where I go it. I bet you could Google it. They worked great. Just like I was wearing my glasses.

If you use a small amount of Vaseline around the ceiling edges it will help prevent leakage. This also helps if you are using a traditional mask and have a mustache. I use a traditional mask and snorkel and because I have a mustache, I apply a small amount of Vaseline on my mustache. It helps seal out the water

The pluses: You have a full view and don't have to worry about getting salt water in your mouth with a full face mask.The minus: You do get warm as there is really no fresh air so if you're the least little bit claustrophobic, as I am, this may pose a problem. I had to abandon the full face which was a bummer because I was really excited about using it.
I felt claustropobic as well, for the same reason. )-:

Sent from my SM-N950U using Forums mobile app

Update: There have been some concerns raised recently over these full face masks and carbon dioxide buildup due to the increased dead space compared to a traditional snorkel. The key is apparently a nice tight fit over the nose and mouth, with the exhaled air being pushed out the sides, and a functioning snorkel valve that prevents exhaled CO2 buildup in the system. Experts recommend wearing the mask for a period of time out of the water to make sure that it is functioning properly and to take full deep breaths that are greater than the dead space within the snorkel.
I bet that is what happened to me when I tried them. I was snorkeling in Dominic and wearing them. It felt like I couldn't breathe right after awhile, claustrophobic, then my teeth started chattering. (weird experience) Had to stop and needed help to get back to the boat. We were drift snorkling. It was a scary experience. I didn't realize it could have been the snorkels until reading this thread. One other person needed help getting back to the boat also. I haven't snorkled since that experience about 3 or 4 years ago.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Forums mobile app

• 4 weeks later...