Finding a Luxury Cruise That Fits

LauraS

TC:

Not a safe generality. ;p

Thankfully we all have different views/preferences, etc.

Otherwise we would all dress the same, eat the same food, read the same books, etc., etc., etc., and things would be boring. :p

Keith

Just couldn't let this sentence go without a response: "IMO Dress codes like Butlers, are a product of the desires of certain mostly older passengers to pretend they are upper class twits. It’s particularly ridiculous in the warmer climate cruises"

In my opinion, how one dresses is a bit more important to women than to men. The only way I can be certain that my DH dresses in clothing that I feel he looks great in is by me packing. I hang his clothes up in the closet on the ship and he can choose from there. Must not bother him too much as we are approaching our 39th anniversary:halo:

Then keep posting on one of the THOUSANDS of threads about dress codes. Why insinuate that into a different topic?

Then keep posting on one of the THOUSANDS of threads about dress codes. Why insinuate that into a different topic?

Why are you picking on me? The subject was introduced on the last page by calliopecruiser (think that it was post 27). Can we go back to playing nicely?:wine-glass:

If I can be serious for a moment (difficult but I'll try) - isn't a cruise lines dress code part of finding a luxury cruise line "that fits"? Isn't it important to know, for instance, that Silversea is quite formal while Regent and Seabourn are not? Okay - no more discussion from me on dress code.

i am in the same situation - i never opposed to wear a tie but since i am retired i very rarely do wear one but i am not a jeans and a T shirt man neither

Both these stories remind me of a woman I met at work once who confided that when she retired she gave up wearing bras. Same philosophy, I guess -- had to wear them as part of the acceptable dress code for 40 years, and then she decided she didn't need to care about other people's expectations and said "no more!".

Both these stories remind me of a woman I met at work once who confided that when she retired she gave up wearing bras. Same philosophy, I guess -- had to wear them as part of the acceptable dress code for 40 years, and then she decided she didn't need to care about other people's expectations and said "no more!".

I'm reminded of a Joan Rivers' joke.

After two careers of about 28 years each with distinct dress codes, I have great distaste for anything above the level of a sport coat (no tie), and that provides the upper limit for 99.9% of my (our) choices for travel, etc.

May I ask whether you had the distaste for anything above the level of a “sport coat” before you began you 28 years of working under the yoke of dress codes?

And would you really pass up a great luxury holiday because you might have to wear a tie on one or two evenings?

Again, really good point. Since the only non-luxury cruise line we have been on is Oceania (except a 3 day Disney cruise 30 years ago), I can't make a good comparison. However, service on Oceania is different but is likely as good as on Regent or Silversea. Okay - here comes another general statement....... the difference is that the crew and officers on Oceania are not as friendly (particularly the officers) as on Regent or Silversea. I did speak with someone at Regent corporate about this (Oceania and Regent are owned by the same company - as is NCL). They agreed with me. The officers and crew on Regent in particular have an almost extended family feeling with guests. This adds to the culture being different on Oceania (a premium plus cruise line) and Regent.

Another thing to think about is that not all passengers want the same type of service. We enjoy the crew on most cruises more than the passengers (not saying that we don't like the passengers). Some of us are in contact during the year via email, Facebook, etc. We love hearing about how their families are doing - the long range plans they have for themselves, etc. Others on Regent have expressed that they just want good service - no interest in interacting with the crew. We also like less formality (i.e. crew members that we know not calling me Mrs. xxxxx but either Jackie or Ms. Jackie).

So, it does not seem that there is a one size fits all cruise line. Whatever cruise line that you are happy with is the one that you should sail on. We don't sail on Regent because it is a luxury cruise line - we sail on Regent because it is a good fit for us.

P.S. Keith, do you really think that the majority of men care more about how they dress than women? Darn - I thought that it was a safe generality:halo:

I think most of what you say is correct. But my experience of the 5 star lines is that the service is of a higher standard. The main difference is that 5 star service is proactive not just reactive.

For example, there was the piano player in the piano bar on one voyage we were on who overheard an American lady who is a part time professional singer say to me that she’d love to sing a duet with my wife (a trained classical singer). The song she mentioned was not one for which he had the music and lyrics. But the next night he approached her to tell her that he had found the music and lyrics on the internet and that he was ready for the ladies to perform their duet that night, which they did. That’s good service.

Why are you picking on me? The subject was introduced on the last page by calliopecruiser (think that it was post 27). Can we go back to playing nicely?:wine-glass:

If I can be serious for a moment (difficult but I'll try) - isn't a cruise lines dress code part of finding a luxury cruise line "that fits"? Isn't it important to know, for instance, that Silversea is quite formal while Regent and Seabourn are not? Okay - no more discussion from me on dress code.

Yes, absolutely. I think dress code fits in this topic. It’s one of our considerations. Not THE consideration, but definitely part of the mix - more for DH, then for me. He was never a dress up guy, but now his limit is a polo and a pair of dockers. I’m with ZZ Top - “every girl’s crazy bout a sharp dressed man!” [emoji12]

As for me, I’m just getting beyond packing formal dress up clothes. If I can wear flowey pants and a sparkly top, or something silky with a statement necklace, I’m good [emoji41]

The more I read what Travelcat2 writes about Regent, the more I think it might be a good fit for us. Must be a “cat/kat” thing [emoji16]

I was reading another thread about butlers. We don’t need a butler, but a good concierge is desirable on occasion.

Being addressed by name, first or last is nice, but not something I associate with luxury. My Dad always said, “You can call me anything, but late for dinner!” That kind of works for me, too.

Just as a reference, Carnival cruise lines (as opposed to Carnival corporation) prides itself on having crew address guests by name. I’m guessing most of you have not sailed on Carnival, but it’s the truth. They really do - every time. And we have had decent service for the most part. It’s all the rest of the folderol that has us moving on up.

But to get back to dinner, food quality and variety is important to me - DH, not so much. Give him a prime cut of steak, properly prepared, with some au poive sauce and a baked potato and he’s happy camper. He will eat other things, but he’s not adventurous and he wants steak as an fall back option.

I like good food, well-prepared and presented. It can be anything from satisfying homestyle comfort food to gourmet. It does not have to be all caviar and fois gras. I like a balance. I do like good seafood and fresh fish with a lovely sauce and lots of fresh veggies and fruit. And I’m overly fond of a scrumptious desserts as my scale is constantly reminding me. [emoji33]

So food is high on my list of luxury items.

I like comfort, elegant surroundings and pampering. Good service is also high on my list. I don’t want pandering. I want not to notice if it’s there, but notice when it’s not - if that makes any sense.

Cabin size is not crucial. I don’t want to be cramped into a windowless closet. I really do not understand people who choose inside rooms with no balcony. I have to have outside space that belongs only to DH and myself for our time aboard. While size, beyond cramped isn’t a priority, I do want nice amenities. I wouldn’t turn down a lovely well-appointed suite, but it’s not a high priority. I just want to be comfortable.

So this thread has helped me firm up my list, and I think I’m narrowing my choices. We do have a river and an ocean cruise booked with Viking. Maybe for some, Viking doesn’t fit the definition of luxury, but we are just in the process of moving up. So at least for right now it fits my definition.

Perhaps some have been in the position of experiencing nothing less than their definition of luxury all their lives,so their definition is narrower. Maybe mine will be too in future. I can’t say just yet.

We have done one river cruise with Viking, and they did everything right IOMHO [emoji16]. They far exceeded our expectations. We will see what happens with our upcoming ocean cruise. As with most other lines there are both very positive and some negative reviews on food and service - which have risen to the top of our priority list.

We do know what we don’t want any longer, and that’s huge mega ships crammed to the gunnels with parents and their undisciplined offspring [emoji15], with constant cacophony from various sources, long lines and in your face sales pitches. We are so done with that.

We don’t need ultra elaborate stage shows. A good cover band or piano player is great. We don’t need to be entertained. Some music - not too raucous - a good drink, some interesting conversation with like-minded and well-traveled companions suits us just fine.

We don’t worry about being bored. It’s not a state we often find ourselves. We are interested in everything and are easily amused. Some may think that a bad thing, but we’re happy with it [emoji16]

So thanks everyone, this has been interesting, enlightening and very helpful. And Travelcat2, we might meet you on Regent one of these days!

Cyber Kat, it does sound like Regent may be the right cruise line for you. It's pretty much what you just described. And your DH may like it too. Regent has recently changed to a new menu in its main dining room, where one page is the same every day, and the other page is what changes daily. Here is a link to a sample menu. https://www.rssc.com/experience/cuisine/compass-rose Everything above "Executive Chef's Daily Specials" is the daily menu (as you can see, it's quite expansive, and provides a good bit by way of both adventurous and non-adventurous, Below that header is what changes daily.

A posting on another forum got me to thinking about the term "luxury" to describe a certain type of cruise line. She had started out saying "I don't need luxury" and then went on to describe her ideal--one a lot like what you describe. Which happens to be what you find on most lines that are deemed "luxury." I think that people tend to think of opulence when they hear the word luxury. To me, it isn't opulence--the luxury lines I've been on have lovely ships, but are not over the top--it's atmospherics and attitude. Not stuffy, just more laid-back.

Cyber Kat - really enjoyed your post and cats/Kats do seem to get along well:D. BTW, my Dad used to say the same thing!

Not trying to sell anyone on Regent but, in terms of food, here is a link to the everyday dinner menu in their MDR. There are daily and local specialities in addition to this. You also can see the decor in the restaurant. This menu is somewhat new and is appreciated by almost all Regent passengers due to the way you can pick and choose sauces, etc.

https://www.rssc.com/experience/cuisine/compass-rose

You have to scroll down a bit. It comes up with the lunch menu but there is a tab for the dinner menu. There are also tabs to see the specialty restaurants (no additional charge but reservations required). La Veranda is their buffet restaurant during the day and an Italian restaurant at night - no reservations required.

It would be lovely to see menu's from other MDR's on luxury cruise lines.

I like comfort, elegant surroundings and pampering. Good service is also high on my list. I don’t want pandering. I want not to notice if it’s there, but notice when it’s not - if that makes any sense.

We don’t need ultra elaborate stage shows. A good cover band or piano player is great. We don’t need to be entertained. Some music - not too raucous - a good drink, some interesting conversation with like-minded and well-traveled companions suits us just fine.

We don’t worry about being bored. It’s not a state we often find ourselves. We are interested in everything and are easily amused. Some may think that a bad thing, but we’re happy with it [emoji16]

King Charles II was one of the wisest of our Kings. He described good service when he said that Lord Godolphin was never in the way and never out of it.

I always think that the kind of shows on the mega cruise ships are for those who never attend theatre or concerts on land. Most of the people I’ve met on luxury ships are more interested in making their own entertainment.

Cyber Kat - really enjoyed your post and cats/Kats do seem to get along well:D. BTW, my Dad used to say the same thing!

Not trying to sell anyone on Regent but, in terms of food, here is a link to the everyday dinner menu in their MDR. There are daily and local specialities in addition to this. You also can see the decor in the restaurant. This menu is somewhat new and is appreciated by almost all Regent passengers due to the way you can pick and choose sauces, etc.

https://www.rssc.com/experience/cuisine/compass-rose

You have to scroll down a bit. It comes up with the lunch menu but there is a tab for the dinner menu. There are also tabs to see the specialty restaurants (no additional charge but reservations required). La Veranda is their buffet restaurant during the day and an Italian restaurant at night - no reservations required.

It would be lovely to see menu's from other MDR's on luxury cruise lines.

Thanks for posting the menus.

The one thing that stood out for me straight away was the lovely retro idea of serving lamb chops and pork chops in a restaurant. Where I come from lamb is so common that it doesn’t appear on restaurant menus that often, and if it does it’s usually rack or rump.

Other than that the menus look very good if quite unadventurous. I have nothing against classic dishes cooked well, after all most of the world’s great dishes are well tested old favourites. But a few more adventurous dishes would be good.

When my wife and I sailed on Regent we noticed that the food was very good but just a wee bit institutional.

A staff member explained that the menu was designed to match the taste of the well travelled and well off Americans who were the lines best customers.

The thing I like on a good ship is that the chef sources some ingredients from the port and uses them in dishes on that night’s menu. That gives the impression that the Chef may change things according to what he could get in the local market that day. To that end I was surprised that as we sailed to ports in Morocco and Spain, the Regent menu didn’t include any dishes inspired by the cuisines of those countries.

So I’m a bit wary of menus being totally fixed in advance and posted on the website.

This not meant as an attack on Regent. Ponant and Paul Gaugin were the same. They served good food that was traditional. A lot of the time that is just what is needed. But sometimes few more exotics tex5ures and flavours are called for.

Edited by Toryhere
mistake

Note that only half the menu is fixed. The right side of the menu varies daily. Nevertheless, you are right that Regent's cuisine does not often "go local" to the regions visited, and food is rarely sourced locally. The closest it comes is a regional theme at the Pool Grill and/or La Veranda at lunch. And those buffets are where I've seen the iffiest dishes.

I would say that this is a function of being part of the NCL organization, and thus sourcing ingredients in bulk from a central supply chain, but Crystal Cruises has the same issue (at least on their ocean vessels), and they are part of an entity where cruises comprise a much smaller piece of the operation.

Just thought I would mention that Viking ocean does not allow children under 18 and the ships are 930 passengers, specialty dinning is included as are tours and because there is no Casio the ship never seems crowded in any way. Even though it has 180 more passengers than Regent which has a Casio and allows children.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by goldenrod

Just thought I would mention that Viking ocean does not allow children under 18 and the ships are 930 passengers, specialty dinning is included as are tours and because there is no Casio the ship never seems crowded in any way. Even though it has 180 more passengers than Regent which has a Casio and allows children.

While I do like the fact that Viking Ocean does not allow children under 18, the four major luxury ships do (Crystal, Regent, Seabourn and Silversea), when school is in session, there are usually no children onboard. The most children that we have been onboard during these times is 3.

Agree with wishIweretravelling about the menu. What I posted from the MDR is the portion of the menu that does not change. The lunch menu does change frequently -- what you see is a sample. I also didn't mention that on Regent's newest ship - Explorer - two specialty restaurants alternate being open for lunch and the MDR is closed.

Toryhere - I want to respond to one comment you made: "A staff member explained that the menu was designed to match the taste of the well travelled and well off Americans who were the lines best customers."

People in the U.S. and Canada are not necessarily "well off" nor are we necessarily the "best customers". However, we do represent about 80% of Regent passengers which is why they prepare food that would meet the tastes of most North Americans.

Actually the guaranteed absence of children is a HUGE luxury for me. Still I'll stick with Seabourn.

Toryhere - I want to respond to one comment you made: "A staff member explained that the menu was designed to match the taste of the well travelled and well off Americans who were the lines best customers."

People in the U.S. and Canada are not necessarily "well off" nor are we necessarily the "best customers". However, we do represent about 80% of Regent passengers which is why they prepare food that would meet the tastes of most North Americans.

Given Regent's prices, it's passengers are surely 'well off'.

Whether that translates into them being prepared to move outside their comfort zone in sampling local cuisine is a different matter.

Given Regent's prices, it's passengers are surely 'well off'.

Whether that translates into them being prepared to move outside their comfort zone in sampling local cuisine is a different matter.

That is debatable. If you take a premium cruise line - add in tips, cocktails, excursions and Business Class air, on some Regent itineraries, the fare is the same or perhaps slightly more. As an example, the airfare alone for our cruise in less than two weeks (Vancouver, British Columbia to Bali - Business Class - is $8,500). Regent gave a $12K credit for those of us that want to book our own air so I saved some money. We are flying Cathay Pacific which in our opinion is a great airline.

Also, In my opinion, sailing on Europa II is moving outside of the comfort zone for most people in North America. Between the family welcoming atmosphere, nog being inclusive and having the majority of the guests speaking German - it isn't for everyone.

That is debatable. If you take a premium cruise line - add in tips, cocktails, excursions and Business Class air, on some Regent itineraries, the fare is the same or perhaps slightly more. As an example, the airfare alone for our cruise in less than two weeks (Vancouver, British Columbia to Bali - Business Class - is $8,500). Regent gave a $12K credit for those of us that want to book our own air so I saved some money. We are flying Cathay Pacific which in our opinion is a great airline.

Also, In my opinion, sailing on Europa II is moving outside of the comfort zone for most people in North America. Between the family welcoming atmosphere, nog being inclusive and having the majority of the guests speaking German - it isn't for everyone.

The point was not whether Regent's cruises were value for money, but rather one of having to be 'well off' to afford their fares.

Since you have mentioned the Europa 2, the Company's rationale for not including alcoholic beverages in restaurants and bars is that it enables them to provide a much wider selection, for example 37 varieties of Gin, than would be the case if such drinks were included.

Also prices are reasonable, and there is no service charge.

One of the main reasons we decided to try Viking Ocean is we usually take a cruise for Christmas and New Years and the no one under 18 is huge since holiday cruises are kid heavy! We have cruised with our kids and grandkids and they are extremely well behaved but others sometimes not so much, so not having to deal with that is great!

The point was not whether Regent's cruises were value for money, but rather one of having to be 'well off' to afford their fares.

Since you have mentioned the Europa 2, the Company's rationale for not including alcoholic beverages in restaurants and bars is that it enables them to provide a much wider selection, for example 37 varieties of Gin, than would be the case if such drinks were included.

Also prices are reasonable, and there is no service charge.

Had to chuckle at your post because it, once again, shows the differences of passengers in the U.K. and those in the U.S. and Canada. Passengers in the US/Canada would not be interested in 37 varieties of Gin but would likely love many choices of tequila, vodka, and a few other spirits. While I'm aware of how popular gin is in the U.K., to me it tastes like a Christmas tree (if I were to eat one). My DH said that this is the Queen's spirit of choice which may be the reason why it is so popular.

But, seriously, the four most recognized cruise lines that are sailed by passengers in North America are all-inclusive. I do believe that a new luxury cruise line with upscale things for children to do would be quite a hit here since most luxury cruisers prefer to sail with as few children as possible. There is currently no cruise line that meets the requirements of families. Even with special programs when school is not in session, the ships are simply not large enough for older children to just "hang out" and enjoy each others company. I would support such a cruise line - even if I would not cruise on it because it would likely take families/children off of the luxury cruise lines that prefer to have a child-free experience.

Had to chuckle at your post because it, once again, shows the differences of passengers in the U.K. and those in the U.S. and Canada. Passengers in the US/Canada would not be interested in 37 varieties of Gin but would likely love many choices of tequila, vodka, and a few other spirits. While I'm aware of how popular gin is in the U.K., to me it tastes like a Christmas tree (if I were to eat one). My DH said that this is the Queen's spirit of choice which may be the reason why it is so popular.

Must be my English ancestors coming through. You can keep the vodka and show me those 37 varieties of gin [emoji16]

I do like some rum in the tropics and a Margarita now and then, but gin is generally what I’m looking for in an adult beverage.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

That there are 37 varieties of Gin on board a ship with predominantly German speaking passengers perhaps suggests that appreciation of the spirit is not confined to the UK.

In fact, I think the spirit's origins lie with the Dutch Genever.

The Europa 2 carries over 250 varieties of spirits, and over 450 varieties of wine (19,000 bottles).

I have posted the following video before, so apologies to anyone who has already seen it.