Internet on the Grand Princess

Cruise Raider

I may just have to place a call to Princess but thought I would ask here first. I am going into my cruise personalizer for an upcoming cruise (still 2 months away) and don't have any option to purchase unlimited internet. What is odd is that I do have that availability to purchase this for a cruise on this ship later this year.

For this upcoming cruise, we are in a suite and this is the first time ever in this cabin type but don't see any documentation on the Princess website stating that unlimited internet is included. Just not sure why it is not showing up for me as a purchase option. ????

Unlimited internet is being rolled out thru the line as the individual ships are updated. I may be that the stuff needed for the unlimited offering has not been installed on the ship yet but will be by your second cruise.

Are you able to book any internet? Internet is not a suite benefit; it is a platinum and above benefit. It may be that Princess has recognized your Captain's Circle status and has already given you the internet. If you qualify for it, you get a number of minutes on a ship that is not yet doing unlimited or you get the "one device" per person unlimited plan if your ship is equipped for the unlimited. You can pay to upgrade to the "4 devices" plan if you wish.

Unlimited internet is being rolled out thru the line as the individual ships are updated. I may be that the stuff needed for the unlimited offering has not been installed on the ship yet but will be by your second cruise.

Are you able to book any internet? Internet is not a suite benefit; it is a platinum and above benefit. It may be that Princess has recognized your Captain's Circle status and has already given you the internet. If you qualify for it' date=' you get a number of minutes on a ship that is not yet doing unlimited or you get the "one device" per person unlimited plan if your ship is equipped for the unlimited. You can pay to upgrade to the "4 devices" plan if you wish.[/quote']

Hmmmm??? We normally get a limited number of minutes for being elite but would like to purchase the unlimited for one of our devices. What is strange is that we are also booked on the Grand (same ship) for September and the unlimited is being offered at a discount for that sailing. I just don't see anything for purchase for my upcoming sailing in April. Is the unlimited for elite status just a roll out perk?? I may have to call or just wait until we are onboard to check it out. ????

From what I've seen, the ships that are not equipped for the unlimited will give you the appropriate number of complimentary minutes. You cannot upgrade this to an unlimited package as it doesn't exist on that ship.

On ships that have the unlimited availability, you would get the "one device" unlimited package at no charge. There were a couple of unlimited packages for sale; the free one that you'd get as elite was the one in the middle--one device only. There was another one that was good on up to 4 devices but only one at a time; this cost more. Obviously your elite benefits are "per elite member," so you and your spouse would each be able to use a separate device. I have no idea whether this is a roll out special or their plan for all the ships as they become equipped for the unlimited.

I do not know whether the Grand has been wired for the unlimited yet; I know that my next cruise will not feature it, but that's on another ship.

For this upcoming cruise, we are in a suite and this is the first time ever in this cabin type but don't see any documentation on the Princess website stating that unlimited internet is included. Just not sure why it is not showing up for me as a purchase option. ????

It has been a few years since free internet was included for full suites. When it was eliminated, it was replaced by the free first night's specialty restaurant meal and a couple of welcome aboard nuts.

....or you get the "one device" per person unlimited plan if your ship is equipped for the unlimited. You can pay to upgrade to the "4 devices" plan if you wish.

It is not "one device per person."

It is one device at a time. All people in a cabin can share one package with as many devices as they want. Just one person with one device at a time.

From what I've seen' date=' the ships that are not equipped for the unlimited will give you the appropriate number of complimentary minutes. You cannot upgrade this to an unlimited package as it doesn't exist on that ship.

On ships that have the unlimited availability, you would get the "one device" unlimited package at no charge. There were a couple of unlimited packages for sale; the free one that you'd get as elite was the one in the middle--one device only. There was another one that was good on up to 4 devices but only one at a time; this cost more. Obviously your elite benefits are "per elite member," so you and your spouse would each be able to use a separate device. I have no idea whether this is a roll out special or their plan for all the ships as they become equipped for the unlimited.

I do not know whether the Grand has been wired for the unlimited yet; I know that my next cruise will not feature it, but that's on another ship.[/quote']It's available for my 3/23 Hawaii cruise.

Sent from my 2PS64 using Forums mobile app

I may just have to place a call to Princess but thought I would ask here first. I am going into my cruise personalizer for an upcoming cruise (still 2 months away) and don't have any option to purchase unlimited internet. What is odd is that I do have that availability to purchase this for a cruise on this ship later this year.

We're on a Grand cruise in late March and was able to sign up for the unlimited internet a week or two ago. Perhaps you just need to delete your browser cookies and/or make sure the page is being refreshed each time you visit.

FAST, RELIABLE CONNECTIONS

Stay connected to family, friends and social media with today’s most advanced cruise ship Wi-Fi. Now it’s easy to share all your vacation fun and photos from anywhere on board. During your preview cruise, enjoy MedallionNet for:

• $9.99 per device (for a 24-hour period)
  • $29.99 for up to four devices on the same folio (for a 24-hour period)
  • FREE for our Platinum & Elite guests (one device per guest)

OK ....I was even more confused so just called down to the most snippy and unhelpful customer service agent down at Princess. Anyhow ... here's the deal (and PS, I did clear my cookies but that didn't help):

There is no offering for unlimited minutes on my cruise personalizer for this upcoming sailing (in April) as they won't be offering that unlimited feature in the foreseeable future on the Grand. Although, one of the previous posters mentioned it was on her sailing for this coming March. ???? So, after our elite minutes are used, our only option is to purchase more minutes at that time but it won't be for unlimited access. The rude agent at Princess asked me, 'well, how many minutes do you need anyway? .... You really need more than 300 minutes?' The tone ... and what business is it of hers anyway ... I simply wanted to purchase the unlimited package. It is not her place to question why in such a snotty manner!!

I kept trying to explain that it is available for my Sept cruise on the Grand but she said, 'go ahead and order it but they will have to take it away from you from that sailing' as they won't have it yet at that time. Well, that's a pretty terrible way of conducting business if you ask me.

I also explained to her that there are additional minute packages available for me on the Royal for my cruise next year, which was supposed to be a Medallion cruise but they canceled that feature on us well after the booking was made. So, looks like 'no soup for you' for that booking either!

To top it off, after being extremely rude to me on the phone, at the end of the call, she tried to sell me some stateroom flowers. I asked her, 'are you even kidding me?'. Needless to say ... I wasn't to happy with the non-customer service that I received ... even though I did get down to the bottom of why no packages are being offered to me for this upcoming sailing. It's just so inconsistent that I can't even purchase a minutes package ahead of time, though as it is available on the sailing where I was supposed to have the unlimited for no charge for next year.

Oh well ... rant over but still not very happy ... I shan't let it ruin my cruise, though!

I just got off the Grand a little over a week ago. They were offering the unlimited internet. I'm Elite so I took the free minutes but could have purchased the unlimited at a discount. HOWEVER, and this is a BIG however, the Internet speed was slow, I'm talking dial-up slow. So maybe they have discontinued their test of the unlimited packages on the Grand because people couldn't do anything with it and complained about paying so much for SLOW, unusable service.

Jackie

It is not "one device per person."

It is one device at a time. All people in a cabin can share one package with as many devices as they want. Just one person with one device at a time.

But if each person in the cabin is elite, they each get a package.

As Elite, they offered you free minutes? Because on the Princess web site, advertising the unlimited package, it says that Platinum and Elite will get the one device ($9.99 per day) package free.

I just got off the Grand a little over a week ago. They were offering the unlimited internet. I'm Elite so I took the free minutes but could have purchased the unlimited at a discount. HOWEVER, and this is a BIG however, the Internet speed was slow, I'm talking dial-up slow. So maybe they have discontinued their test of the unlimited packages on the Grand because people couldn't do anything with it and complained about paying so much for SLOW, unusable service.

Jackie

I agree with you. I have slow, satellite internet at home. The ship's internet is slightly better than dial-up. I only use it because it's a free perk for me. I would never pay for such slow, unreliable service.

OK ....I was even more confused so just called down to the most snippy and unhelpful customer service agent down at Princess. Anyhow ... here's the deal (and PS, I did clear my cookies but that didn't help):

There is no offering for unlimited minutes on my cruise personalizer for this upcoming sailing (in April) as they won't be offering that unlimited feature in the foreseeable future on the Grand.

I just got off the Grand a little over a week ago. They were offering the unlimited internet.

Princess Customer Service -- always a delight!

Princess Customer Service -- always a delight!

Yes, they are!! NOT! Now, I really can't say this about all of them as I have gotten some really good ones on the phone before....

Anyhow, was going to call back and talk to the tech dept instead as I have no options available for purchase for this sailing .... but it sounds like it is so slow that it won't work for streaming anyway so may not bother. I will have to look into plan B if it is that miserably slow anyway. Thanks everyone and enjoy your day!!

PS -- Party Barbie ... did you get snow up your way?? There was a layer of hail on my lawn and deck here last night ... it was pretty all covered in white. But, burrrrr!!

I got off the Grand yesterday, the unlimited option WAS available to us. There was a flyer in the room,. but since we get 500 mins (2 pax), we chose not to. The internet was SLOWER than old time dial-up. I wasted about half an hour every day just trying to get things loaded.

I got off the Grand yesterday, the unlimited option WAS available to us. There was a flyer in the room,. but since we get 500 mins (2 pax), we chose not to. The internet was SLOWER than old time dial-up. I wasted about half an hour every day just trying to get things loaded.

That's the way I remember it too. I had trouble with it every day also. It was okay around the Piazza but sketchy elsewhere. We had free internet minutes but I wouldn't pay for it. It was substandard for the lofty price they want.

I always try to get internet service for my cruises. I'm a regular on RCI which has VOOM and is fast enough that I can stream 14 video cameras from my home security system. Or watch You Tube. When I first signed up for this cruise ( March 23 to Hawaii on Grand Princess) over a year ago I got an offer for internet for $399. I waited! A couple weeks ago I got an email offering Premium Package for $199 ( email and streaming unlimited) Then is said people who use high bandwidth may be limited. ????

They also offered another option Called "surf package" for $139.99 email, news, sports. No video or audio streaming.

So I signed up and paid for the Premium package.

This will be the second time I have cruised on Princess so I do not have high cruise status, but we are in a Jr. suite. I don't think that has anything to do with the internet package offered.

I too just got off the Grand yesterday. We like to have internet for streaming TV shows and movies so I signed up for the top option, which was about $143 for the 10 days. I did not get any credit for being elite, but I did sign up ahead online (I think it was $139.00 online) so maybe I missed out on it. Yes, it is a noticeably slower than land based internet, but with the unlimited streaming package I never worried about using up time and I could always leave my Iphone or Ipad connected. Video services like You Tube and Face Time worked just fine with no lag as well. I would sign up for it again if given the choice.

Yes, they are!! NOT! Now, I really can't say this about all of them as I have gotten some really good ones on the phone before....

Anyhow, was going to call back and talk to the tech dept instead as I have no options available for purchase for this sailing .... but it sounds like it is so slow that it won't work for streaming anyway so may not bother. I will have to look into plan B if it is that miserably slow anyway. Thanks everyone and enjoy your day!!

PS -- Party Barbie ... did you get snow up your way?? There was a layer of hail on my lawn and deck here last night ... it was pretty all covered in white. But, burrrrr!!

LOL, no snow, but about an inch of hail!:eek:

It was probably slower than usual (for Princess) since those who had purchased the unlimited option were busy using up the available bandwidth.

• Haha 1