Inflatable Pool for non-potty trained toddlers.

Bermudezaa

Hello all.

I am taking my wife and kids (3yr old and 1yr old) on their first cruise next week. We will be on the Carnival Sensation.

I just found out that non-potty trained kids are not allowed to use any of the water-areas. This ruins our plan as my boys love the splash areas. My 3yr old is potty trained, but my 1yr old is not.

While I understand the policy on the swimming pools, it’s ridiculous that it also applies to the kid-only areas. It would be cruel to deprive one of fun in front of the other because Carnival decided to save a little bit of money by NOT having a dedicated filtration system for the kids.

I read that people bring an inflatable pool to remedy the situation.

Does anyone know if this is allowed on carnival cruises? If so, is there a particular type of inflatable pool that is recommended? Where do I dump the water after he’s finished playing?

Thank you.

Hello all.

I am taking my wife and kids (3yr old and 1yr old) on their first cruise next week. We will be on the Carnival Sensation.

I just found out that non-potty trained kids are not allowed to use any of the water-areas. This ruins our plan as my boys love the splash areas. My 3yr old is potty trained, but my 1yr old is not.

While I understand the policy on the swimming pools, it’s ridiculous that it also applies to the kid-only areas. It would be cruel to deprive one of fun in front of the other because Carnival decided to save a little bit of money by NOT having a dedicated filtration system for the kids.

Does anyone know if this is allowed on carnival cruises? If so, is there a particular type of inflatable pool that is recommended? Where do I dump the water after he’s finished playing?

Thank you.

Here's a start at three threads that discuss this. Ignore the remarks by some directed at "ignoring the rules" as you are apparently not intent on doing so.

I think the takeaway is to go with something referred to as an "inflatable tub" rather than "inflatable pool". (the key here being

"pools" may be on the prohibited list while "tubs" are not)

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2562198&highlight=inflatable+pools

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2543201&highlight=inflatable+pools

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2478801&highlight=inflatable+pools

the inflatable tub will be easier to put some where as chairs are right next to each other. The tub will be easier to fill and empty. (where will you empty it seems to be an issue. Seems more work then anything.

We did this with out 7 month old grandson a few years ago. DD bought an inflatable tub which she used to bathe him in, since there was only a shower in the stateroom. We brought it up on deck and put it between two loungers and used an empty beer bucket to fill it with water. He only needed an inch or so. When he was done, we emptied it in the drain by hot tub showers. It worked great and we got a lot of comments on how happy he was and how "smart" we were! LOL I read about it on a thread on the family board here. I think my DD bought the tub from Amazon or Walmart I believe from a link posted on the family boards.

Nothing ridiculous about this rule. I wouldn't want my toddler getting sick from another kid.

I wish this rule was enforced. On the Magic in January we stayed on the boat in one port to enjoy the pool. Tons of parents had kids in diapers in slide area where water clearly circulates thru the water park. An employee watching the area said nothing. We ended up leaving to play mini golf as I'm not getting pink eye or some other kids poop or pee on me.

Sent from my SM-G928V using Forums mobile app

We did it many times before our kids were potty trained. It worked perfect. Just ask for a beer bucket at the bar and fill it. It also can be used dry as a sort of playpen with toys in it and in the shower to bathe baby. You can also swim with the kids in port at a beach or pool that allows potty trained kids (most do). You little one wont even miss or notice that lack of swimming onboard.

The rule is not ridiculous because it is due to sanitation (health) issues.

An economic decision by Carnival not to have the system? Yes, the system does cost money and other cruiselines do have the system. Of course, their fares are much higher than Carnival's. One gets what one pays for.

It is not cruel as a rule because it is a needed restriction for sanitation and health. It is a good teaching moment for the one year old that the world does not revolve around him/her and that the word no means no.

Please also think about your plan to dump water from a non potty trained child into drains that others may walk through. There is a definite ick factor to the idea.

And before you ask, yes, I have cruised with a non-potty train child who loved the water (my daughter) on a cruise. It was not an issue because I followed my own advice about the word "no" from the time she was born.

I think the takeaway is to go with something referred to as an "inflatable tub" rather than "inflatable pool". (the key here being

"pools" may be on the prohibited list while "tubs" are not)

Oh, please! Parse much? "Inflatable pool" covers the idea of an inflatable pool, no matter what the size.

If it is a prohibited item, then one may get it on board for use in the cabin, but one shouldn't be surprised if one is told to remove it from public space.

Here is one major reason for their policy:

https://www.webmd.com/digestive-disorders/cryptosporidium

From the CDC:

Cryptosporidium is a microscopic parasite that causes the diarrheal disease cryptosporidiosis. Both the parasite and the disease are commonly known as "Crypto."

There are many species of Cryptosporidium that infect animals, some of which also infect humans. The parasite is protected by an outer shell that allows it to survive outside the body for long periods of time and makes it very tolerant to chlorine disinfection.

While this parasite can be spread in several different ways, water (drinking water and recreational water) is the most common way to spread the parasite. Cryptosporidium is a leading cause of waterborne disease among humans in the United States.

Crypto is not killed by chlorination, so it is very difficult to get rid of once it gets into a pool filtration system. There was an outbreak a few years ago at a local municipal pool. They ended up having to close the pool for several weeks.

Here is one major reason for their policy:

https://www.webmd.com/digestive-disorders/cryptosporidium

From the CDC:

Cryptosporidium is a microscopic parasite that causes the diarrheal disease cryptosporidiosis. Both the parasite and the disease are commonly known as "Crypto."

There are many species of Cryptosporidium that infect animals, some of which also infect humans. The parasite is protected by an outer shell that allows it to survive outside the body for long periods of time and makes it very tolerant to chlorine disinfection.

While this parasite can be spread in several different ways, water (drinking water and recreational water) is the most common way to spread the parasite. Cryptosporidium is a leading cause of waterborne disease among humans in the United States.

Crypto is not killed by chlorination, so it is very difficult to get rid of once it gets into a pool filtration system. There was an outbreak a few years ago at a local municipal pool. They ended up having to close the pool for several weeks.

This is one of the reasons that the specifically designed and constructed "baby only recreational water facilities" (as the USPH calls a swim diaper splash area) have both a separate water supply and a UV sterilizer for the water. There are also requirements to keep kids from freely roaming from the swim diaper area to other water areas to prevent cross-contamination.

As for Carnival's financial decision not to have a swim diaper area, note that only Disney, and less than half of RCI ships have these, the rest of the industry do not feel the expense warrants building them.

Thank you for that.

I completely understand the policy behind it. It makes sense. I stated that I understood it for swimming pools.

I completely understand the health and sanitary concerns of sharing a body of water with a dirty diaper, sweaty bodies, etc. I do not swim in public pools and do not intend on swimming on the cruise either.

What I meant by "ridiculous" was that Carnival, a company that advertises as a family-friendly cruise line, have not invested in a separate, more advanced filtration system dedicated to a play area for the little ones with swim diapers.

I am aware that the Sensation is an older ship, but my point remains true. If you are going to advertise as a family-friendly cruise line, spend the money to make it truly family-friendly.

However, as Homosassa pointed out, one gets what one pays for (although cruising with Carnival may be less expensive compared to other cruise lines, it is NOT cheap).

Again, thank you all for your responses.

Thank you for that.

I completely understand the policy behind it. It makes sense. I stated that I understood it for swimming pools.

I completely understand the health and sanitary concerns of sharing a body of water with a dirty diaper, sweaty bodies, etc. I do not swim in public pools and do not intend on swimming on the cruise either.

What I meant by "ridiculous" was that Carnival, a company that advertises as a family-friendly cruise line, have not invested in a separate, more advanced filtration system dedicated to a play area for the little ones with swim diapers.

I am aware that the Sensation is an older ship, but my point remains true. If you are going to advertise as a family-friendly cruise line, spend the money to make it truly family-friendly.

However, as Homosassa pointed out, one gets what one pays for (although cruising with Carnival may be less expensive compared to other cruise lines, it is NOT cheap).

Again, thank you all for your responses.

As Chengkp75 pointed out, only Disney and less than half of RCI ships have a dedicated diaper-allowed splash zone.

NCL doesn't. MSC doesn't. Carnival doesn't. There are others, but these "Big Three" all tout themselves as being "family friendly".

While you may think Carnival isn't cheap, your contribution as a passenger currently with diaper-wearing children is insignificant in motivating Carnival to retrofit its fleet to accommodate a miniscule segment of the cruising population. Therefore, you point doesn't ring true.

Potty training can be done as early as 18 months. There is a book "Potty training in a day" that teaches how. I did this and it worked for all 3 kids. One day and they were done.

I had 5 children, and they were potty trained by 18 months. But I’m from a generation that didn’t coddle, and wait for the child to tell you they were ready. We just did it.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I had 5 children, and they were potty trained by 18 months. But I’m from a generation that didn’t coddle, and wait for the child to tell you they were ready. We just did it.

I have to add, that a big incentive to potty training by 18 months was the wringing out by hand of all those stinky cloth diapers, then washing them daily, and hanging them out on the clothes line! Mothers today got it too easy, all using disposables. No wonder they aren’t in any hurry to battle with a toddler with potty training.

Hello all.

Thank you.

I love breaking rules but I totally get this one. Nobody wants a floating pooh in the pool.

We cruised oasis of the seas and Disney Dream with our one year old. She loved the splash zones. AND Disney and RCCL are the only lines with a nursery for 6 month- 3 year olds.

I suggest you switch lines if at all possible.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I have to add, that a big incentive to potty training by 18 months was the wringing out by hand of all those stinky cloth diapers, then washing them daily, and hanging them out on the clothes line! Mothers today got it too easy, all using disposables. No wonder they aren’t in any hurry to battle with a toddler with potty training.

You’re right about the cloth diapers. But not for the mothers, made the kids want to use control themselves because they hated being wet or dirty. Going even further back, diapers are the reason both boys and girls wore dresses until they could ‘due their duty’.