Should we switch to anytime dining?

Pfaff-Pfam

When my husband booked our cruise on the NA next week, he chose the early fixed dining for our party of six because he doesn't like to eat at eight. He didn't know there was a third option. I'm starting to think this was a mistake since we may feel rushed upon returning to the ship after visiting the ports.

If we switch to anytime dining will we have a long wait for a table since there are six of us? Thanks!

When we first started cruising we chose fixed early seating. We changed to open seating for exactly the same reason- feeling rushed to get ready after a day ashore. The longest delay for seating was 20 minutes when we asked for a table for 2. We now normally go for dinner about 7 PM hoping the early eaters are finished and delay time is minimal. For a group of six it could be hit or miss depending what time you all show up. You could try to reserve a dinner time a day or two early.

And I was going to say that with a larger party there would probably be less of a wait! :cool: I think that it is mainly the couples that want a table for two who have to wait...

When we have open seating we always say we are willing to sit at any size table and I think we have only had to wait once, and only for a few minutes. The maitre d' didn't even give us a pager, just told us to step to one side and hover!:)

We've had anytime dining for a group of 10 on two different cruises. We reserved 3 nights in advance and never had a problem. We never just appeared at the door. We always went to the dining room ahead of time and booked with them directly, and we always got the time that we preferred.

Edited by *Miss G*

I should also mention that our last cruise we did early dining because that's what my Mum wanted. I thought the same as you... that it would be far too early and rushed. In fact, it wasn't a bother at all. And kind of nice actually. Just wanted to give you a perspective from someone who's only done Main or Anytime. :)

We have never had to wait even 5 seconds for our dinner table, We always get back on the ship from a port day around 4 PM. Then we hit the cabin, relax, shower, clean up, dress for dinner. Then we head to the Ocean or Pinnacle bar for a few pre-dinner cocktails. Then we head to the MDR at 7:55 for dinner. We walk right in, go to our pre-assigned table, and my wife's favorite wine is waiting there, and my glass of ice tea. We have the same great waiters for the entire cruise. They get to know us, and we...them. They know when there's a steak on the menu, I like it medium rare, and big. We eat at home at 7:00 or 7:30, so what's the big deal waiting 1/2 hour for a relaxing dinner at 8:00. We can enjoy the sail-aways, never rushed to dress for dinner, never have to wait for a table, and never have to wonder which waiter we will have tonight. If we travel with friends, we get a 4-top, otherwise we reserve a 2-top with the ship's coordinator months in advance. Yes, you can reserve a table in anytime dining, but it is limited to off-peak hours. And, on many ships, it can only be reserved for 3 nights in a row. I just don't want to deal with that.

Sorry I don't think I was too clear on my 3 nights in advance comment. We reserved the same time for up to 3 nights in a row. We would then need to go back to reserve another 3 nights in a row.

This is what I thought I had read from cruise reviews. You can reserve the same table with the same servers for anytime dining. I think it is a great option when you have busy port days and don't want to be rushed and sitting in the dining room early. And maybe one night you will want Pinnacle Grill delivered to one of the balconies and enjoy dinner as casual as you like. Cherie

Thank you all for the wonderful advice. We're going to give anytime a try and see how it goes. Worst case scenario, we need to find some snacks for my husband while we wait with our cocktails. I remember reading reservations can be made around the fixed dining times?

Thank you all for the wonderful advice. We're going to give anytime a try and see how it goes. Worst case scenario, we need to find some snacks for my husband while we wait with our cocktails. I remember reading reservations can be made around the fixed dining times?

It can vary by ship, but generally speaking you can reserve from when the dining room opens until around 6:15 or 6:30 pm and then, usually at around 8 pm and after.

You can't reserve at the peakest time. Ask the MDR asst mgr/mgr when you get on board and they will confirm and help with your reservation.

When my husband booked our cruise on the NA next week, he chose the early fixed dining for our party of six because he doesn't like to eat at eight. He didn't know there was a third option. I'm starting to think this was a mistake since we may feel rushed upon returning to the ship after visiting the ports.

If we switch to anytime dining will we have a long wait for a table since there are six of us? Thanks!

On cruises where we have several late ports and/or we think we will be dining in the specialty venues more than once, we take Open dining as it gives you so much more flexibility.

We used to do fixed dining but have switched over to anytime dining for all of our cruises on all lines. We much prefer the flexibility it affords to work around both on board activities and port excursions. Second seating is too late for us and early seating often conflicts with late arrivals back from port activities. We have never found waiting times to be a issue.

• 3 weeks later...

So we made the switch on the first day, and usually showed up around seven for dinner. I saw a few parties of two each night that were waiting for a table, but since we were a party of six we were seated promptly. I never made a reservation since we were able to wait in line and be seated within 10 to 15 minutes. It worked out great for us!