Just Business Or Demise of Ethics?

nukesubsailor

to the OP...did you even try to use the cards at the IC or MDR? No as I had the beverage package downgrade from the AIBP I was originally booked under.

when exactly did these cards get wet? I believe it was around 10:00 a.m. when the wife washed some laundry that included the small wallet I carry on cruises to hold my coffee cards and other items I may need while on ship.

why did you let Passenger services keep your cards?

Since I was told Princess policy had been changed to no longer honor punches on cards from previous cruises, the cards had no value. I walked away because my momma taught me to walk away instead of punching people who tick me off and I saw no point at that time of walking around with 4 soggy coffee cards that could not be used.

Sorry if my considering this experience an example of a lack of ethics is considered a rant by you. I am sorry you make the false assumption that I spent 20 sleepless nights. The bed was great and we slept very well.

It just so happens that I believe a person is entitled to get what they are told they will get when they pay, not when the product is delivered. Just putting in a statement that the terms can change and will apply to existing purchases does not make the practice ethical in my opinion. You are entitled to your opinion.

Simply stating that the terms

I just don't understand your use of the term ethical. Ethical means being in accordance with the rules or standards for right conduct or practice, especially the standards of a profession: Princess clearly states that what rules is what is in force when you sail, not when you book. You knew that going in, and if you didn't, that is a good reason to read all you can. Princess is very up front with this and therefore ethical. Now if you want to suggest that the rule should be what it is when you book and not sail, I would tend to agree with you heartily. But to say Princess or any cruise line that handles changes in this matter are unethical is a little much. I would be frustrated, as you seem to be, but that is all.

Same about the coffee cards. I never use them, but reading CC I knew of the new rules about them. Would I have been a little upset if I were holding onto a couple of them. Sure, but again, I would just say, oh, well, the luck of the draw and go on.

But after saying all that, I can commiserate with your frustrations completely!!!!!! I just don't like using the term "ethical" so loosely.

Pooh

I just don't understand your use of the term ethical. Ethical means beinginaccordancewiththerulesorstandardsforrightconductor practice,especiallythestandardsofaprofession: Princess clearly states that what rules is what is in force when you sail, not when you book. You knew that going in, and if you didn't, that is a good reason to read all you can. Princess is very up front with this and therefore ethical. Now if you want to suggest that the rule should be what it is when you book and not sail, I would tend to agree with you heartily. But to say Princess or any cruise line that handles changes in this matter are unethical is a little much. I would be frustrated, as you seem to be, but that is all.

Same about the coffee cards. I never use them, but reading CC I knew of the new rules about them. Would I have been a little upset if I were holding onto a couple of them. Sure, but again, I would just say, oh, well, the luck of the draw and go on.

But after saying all that, I can commiserate with your frustrations completely!!!!!! I just don't like using the term "ethical" so loosely.

Pooh

The posts on CC have stated that newly issued coffee cards are being issued with expiration. Posts on CC have not stated that older cards with such dates have stopped being accepted (the posts actually say the opposite that old cards are still being accepted.

Do you have names? I would contact Princess Customer service with details:

Date and time you went to the Passenger Service Desk

Who you spoke to upfront

Who was the Beverage manager that told you they were invalid

A receipt for the 4 cards that were taken away

They may not replace the cards (not a policy) but they may offer you good will OBC.

I document each trip I make to the front desk if I encounter problems on my cruise.

Do you have names? I would contact Princess Customer service with details:

Date and time you went to the Passenger Service Desk

Who you spoke to upfront

Who was the Beverage manager that told you they were invalid

A receipt for the 4 cards that were taken away

They may not replace the cards (not a policy) but they may offer you good will OBC.

I document each trip I make to the front desk if I encounter problems on my cruise.

Good idea to document everything...but I think one of the issues is that the OP did not buy the coffee cards...they were given as a perk from the cruise line on previous cruises, likely with the idea for use on those cruises. He is not out any $$$.

I would still likely call or write and ask for a replacement.

I suspect one reason that Princess is cracking down on coffee cards is due to abuse in the past by passengers trying to sell them and make money off of something they received as a free perk, thus taking revenue away from Princess.

Good idea to document everything...but I think one of the issues is that the OP did not buy the coffee cards...they were given as a perk from the cruise line on previous cruises, likely with the idea for use on those cruises. He is not out any $$$.

I would still likely call or write and ask for a replacement.

In my opinion, it doesn't matter how he got the coffee card. When he got it, a coffee card was a coffee card - no distinction based on how it was obtained.

IMHO coffee cards purchased onboard are subject to Federal Trade Commission laws on gift cards as outlined here. See the paragraph below from the FTC website:

Money on a gift card cannot expire for at least five years from the date the card was purchased, or from the last date any additional money was loaded onto the card. If the expiration date listed on the card is earlier than these dates, the money can be transferred to a replacement card at no cost.

Agreed.....:):):)

Bob

OP certainly disappointing for changes on the Bev. Package...we like you went with the flow....and will be doing the same at the end of the month....3 of our sailings 2 promo and one bev pack we paid for were changed, since last Nov., Such is life....

Bad luck that the cards got washed....but they could have been lost just as easily, next time secure them somewhere else.

As you did not need them on this cruise, since you had the beverage package.

I totally understand why management would not make an exchange as you were bringing back a damaged product and 4 at that. You had no proof of purchase. Next sailing try to use one and see what the barista says after you explain your story. I wouldn't be surprised if she/he gave you a new one....

Good Luck.....

Edited by land lover

In my opinion, it doesn't matter how he got the coffee card. When he got it, a coffee card was a coffee card - no distinction based on how it was obtained.

I think it does matter. If he could prove purchase on that cruise, then they would have been replaced, no questions.

Why would any company give a replacement for damage merchandise, that they gave a as a perk, they cannot resell it.....Yes, it would be nice for PR, but sometimes things don't work in our favor....

Edited by land lover

It's never a good idea for a company to advertise and sell one thing, and then arbitrarily change the terms when it comes time to fulfill them. In this case (i.e., cruise lines in general) they get away with it because they are not registered in this country, or most other countries that their customer base is coming from.

I experienced a similar set of circumstances two years ago, with NCL. Ultimately, they did end up honoring the terms agreed upon at time of purchase. It would be a deal breaker for me, if I purchased something with pre-set benefits for the price paid and the company didn't honor them. We switched from NCL to Princess for a couple of reasons, but will move on, if it becomes concretely evident that they don't honor the terms of what they sell. I don't care if they can legally get away with it. It's not a business model that I choose to support. We already have a cruise booked and final payment made with Princess, so this won't cause any change with that booking. But I will seriously consider my next cruise booking, and which line it will be on. Integrity matters. And there are plenty of other lines for me to check out. We didn't buy the beverage package, but I am seriously unhappy with how they chose to handle the change. Now the coffee card issue. What's next? I personally am not interested in finding out -- would rather give my cruise dollars to a company that believes they need to honor the terms of the original sale.

• Like 1

The Premium beverage package covers only fountain sodas, not canned ones.

But the OP had purchased the AIBP which did included cans. However, Princess no longer honored that package when the OP sailed.

Why would you need a coffee card if you have the PBP - all coffees are covered with the PBP

The coffee cards got wet when his wallet got wet. They were either wet when presented or were damaged from the water.

The OP did not say there was an attempt to use the cards. As noted, with the beverage package there was no need to.

I read the post basically as saying the OP was carrying around unused cards that he did not try to use, but once damaged wanted to get them replaced. There was no indication if the cards were damaged too much for punches to be used in the future, just that the desire was for damaged cards to be replaced with new ones.

Assuming the OP still has possession of the cards, I suggest contacting the home office and seeing if they wouled be willing to exchanged new cards for the damaged ones.

"Unlimited brewed coffee and teas included with the New Grounds Coffee Card are only available on the voyage on which the New Grounds Coffee Card was purchased. Unused card punches for New Grounds specialty drinks will be honored on future voyages. Terms and conditions may apply."

Princess Website

I wonder if the referenced "terms and conditions" basically say forget about what you read about use on future voyages.

That is like saying if I send you a gift and it breaks you cannot get it replaced since being a gift to you that you are not out $$$.

• 7 months later...

I came across this feed while wrestling with the reality of enjoying an amazing experience but also having previously protested their ongoing abuse of labor laws sobering to think of the privilege I am born into and challenged in how to use it. :) 

On 3/1/2018 at 8:20 AM, -Lew- said:

IMHO coffee cards purchased onboard are subject to Federal Trade Commission laws on gift cards as outlined here. See the paragraph below from the FTC website:

Money on a gift card cannot expire for at least five years from the date the card was purchased, or from the last date any additional money was loaded onto the card. If the expiration date listed on the card is earlier than these dates, the money can be transferred to a replacement card at no cost.

Excellent point.....:classic_smile::classic_smile::classic_smile:

Bob

I think it is interesting that OP “spent tens of thousands of dollars on a suite to become elite”. I though people spent money on a suite to enjoy the suite and the cruise, the perks and the bigger cabin. Just to become elite — beyond my comprehension.

I

On 3/1/2018 at 6:18 AM, nukesubsailor said:

We just returned from a 20-day Caribbean cruise on the Royal Princess. During this cruise we got to pay more for a bottle of wine plus pay for canned soda. This was because we were not allowed to enjoy the terms of the all inclusive beverage package in effect when we booked the cruise. Instead we had no choice but to adhere to the terms of the replacement premium beverage package.

To add insult to injury, I learned that the 4 coffee cards I had were not to be honored for any of the 60 punches intact on them. These cards were purchased on previous cruises by exchanging mini-bar setups that I was paying for by booking a suite and paying tens of thousands of dollars over the years to become an elite member of the Captain's Circle loyalty club. These cards had no ship name, date, cruise number or anything that identified when they were purchased.

I guess I could have lied and claim that I got them on this cruise but that would not be ethical. Apparently Princess considers it ethical to deny a customer any benefit promised when they sold the customer $150 worth of coffee cards.

I now think I will no longer book and have to pre-pay for Princess excursions. What is to keep Princess from selling me an expensive excursion to see the Leaning Tower of Pisa and instead take me to see a leaning Porta-Potty on the pier. Apparently Princess sees no ethical problem with intentionally failing to deliver what they promise when they take your money.

Needless to say, I enjoyed staying up late last night and had a lot to say when I filled out the post-cruise on-line survey.

Reading thru this thread would suggest, taking the issue up with the Bev Mgrs, supervisor... etc.  Go to the top, do not accept no for answer at this level.     Staff at this level do not see the big picture.  

On 3/1/2018 at 12:34 PM, Justprettynpink said:

"Unlimited brewed coffee and teas included with the New Grounds Coffee Card are only available on the voyage on which the New Grounds Coffee Card was purchased. Unused card punches for New Grounds specialty drinks will be honored on future voyages. Terms and conditions may apply."

Princess Website

This is pretty much what happened on the Royal in June. Had 2 cards from the Diamond in March 2018. Server kept punching it for regular coffee. Have a few punches left which I'll use next month

Just noticed that this is a really old thread .... sounds like Princess fixed the issue b4 my last cruise

Edited by Ombud

I used old (undamaged) coffee cards on the Royal in July with no problems or questions. My neighbor was on the Caribbean last week and she also used old coffee cards without a problem.

Specialty coffees and freshly brewed coffee are included in the AIPB, so I’m going to assume the OP was able to get coffee without incurring a charge.

On 3/1/2018 at 11:20 AM, -Lew- said:

They are not answerable to the FTC or many other of our agencies.  The ships are registered in a foriegn country for just that reason.

Edited by Potstech

3 hours ago, petefooter said:

I came across this feed while wrestling with the reality of enjoying an amazing experience but also having previously protested their ongoing abuse of labor laws sobering to think of the privilege I am born into and challenged in how to use it. :) 

????

• Like 1

3 hours ago, petefooter said:

I came across this feed while wrestling with the reality of enjoying an amazing experience but also having previously protested their ongoing abuse of labor laws sobering to think of the privilege I am born into and challenged in how to use it. 🙂

Oh please...,.,,