Challenging weather in Northern Europe this weekend

nordski

We are seeing sporadic news stories about serious winter weather conditions in the UK and other parts of Northern Europe.

Hope that all the posters on this forum and from that area are personally safe and also not suffering property damage from the floods, snow, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thanks nordski. We are out the other side as far as low temperatures go where I am, but some areas had a lot of snow that will take a long time to go. Apart from some snow and very cold temperatures and wind chill which led to the loft pipes freezing I’m fine. A photo from a friend in Dublin. An area not normally prone to much snow.

Phil2bfbf90c241313cc27d3df473102e446.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks for your kind thoughts. The only word to describe the weather round here has been brutal. Being Scottish we are sort of used to snow, but this was by far the worst we remember. We heeded the warnings and got off the roads in time on Wednesday - there were lots of problems for those who did not, hours and hours trapped near here on a road we take for granted and we have never known it "stick".

Look at this amazing story and the video from our road into town

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-43255368

Anyway to give you a sense of how bad it was, in the next village south of us, this happened.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-south-scotland-43271653

We had to dig out about 3 foot to get out of our door and work out ways to stop more drifts, this poor couple were not so able to do so but they are all well now.

We’ve been lucky in East Yorkshire and haven’t had much snow. We spent Tuesday & Wednesday in Oxford visiting family and drove back home on Wednesday afternoon. The last hour or so of the journey we were driving through a blizzard. It was pretty awful, very poor visibility. Nick took to tucking in behind lorries so we could follow as their large tyres cleared tracks in the road. We were very glad to get home.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

One of the problems was the very strong cold wind blowing the snow out of the fields onto roads and blocking them in rural areas.

We drove 2 miles from home the other day and turned around and went back, it was just not worth the risk.

They called the weather, The beast from the East, it was coming straight from Siberia.

They called the weather, The beast from the East, it was coming straight from Siberia.
Add in storm Emma which came up from Portugal and met with the Beast from the East on Thursday, which meant that cars and lorries were held up on the M62 ( highest motorway in England) between Huddersfield and Rochdale for 19 hrs. Once those were cleared, the motorway was shut until early on Saturday morning due to the high winds of 100 mph, which were continuing to blow snow from the moors on to the Motorway.

The M62 was closed for a total of 36 hrs.

Edited by upwarduk

Thanks nordski. We are out the other side as far as low temperatures go where I am, but some areas had a lot of snow that will take a long time to go. Apart from some snow and very cold temperatures and wind chill which led to the loft pipes freezing I’m fine. A photo from a friend in Dublin. An area not normally prone to much snow.

Phil2bfbf90c241313cc27d3df473102e446.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Scary photograph.

We were supposed to fly from Dublin via LHR to Sydney (to join Journey) on Sunday - tomorrow.

I rang BA on Thursday evening and got our home departure transferred to Belfast.

BA were brilliant about the change. There were no queries, two minutes into the call and the transfer was complete.

To make it even better, (there are no flight taxes out of Dublin, which originally made our flights £600 cheaper than flying from Belfast) the team member from BA never mentioned money of taxes.

All the flights from Belfast flew today, and the last inward plane from LHR has landed in Belfast tonight.

Anyway, we are looking forward to some sun, (and picking up a few tins of Fever Tree on the way)

Scary photograph.

We were supposed to fly from Dublin via LHR to Sydney (to join Journey) on Sunday - tomorrow.

I rang BA on Thursday evening and got our home departure transferred to Belfast.

BA were brilliant about the change. There were no queries, two minutes into the call and the transfer was complete.

To make it even better, (there are no flight taxes out of Dublin, which originally made our flights £600 cheaper than flying from Belfast) the team member from BA never mentioned money of taxes.

All the flights from Belfast flew today, and the last inward plane from LHR has landed in Belfast tonight.

Anyway, we are looking forward to some sun, (and picking up a few tins of Fever Tree on the way)

That’s great norn iron. I have to say that I’ve had nothing but positives with BA when there have been difficult circumstances.

Have a great cruise on Journey and enjoy your Fever Tree. Make friends with the one of the flight crew and they might slip a few in your carryon. I came home with a nice stash of Ciroc miniatures on my last trip. Lol

Phil

Scary photograph.

Good to hear that you got the change made with no difficulties and fingers crossed for an easy fly over and an excellent trip on Journey. BA are very good as soon as they have to kick in their weather transfer policy which is now unfortunately well tested these last few years between gales, fog, Beasts from East and Pests from West.

Please leave Journey in good shape for us in Singapore, we are not however expecting to find any Fever tree onboard, but I might resort to Phils plan with some liberation in the lounge at Heathrow :) By then we might be just about completely dug out having celebrated "breaking through" to join up with our neighbours down the road today thanks to the community digging party. Its an excellent way to work off a few pounds pre cruise I would say!

Thanks for the details, and glad that everyone was able to deal with the challenges encountered.

On a lighter note, based upon viewing a Premier League fixture, it seems to have been an opportunity to score some tickets at Wembley and to join those wearing their stylish “Spurs” tuques. [emoji1]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums