Are You Amped About Sky Princess 2019?

need2cruisesoon

DH and I plan on doing at least some of our Sky Princess walking in all the cabin passageways just so we can see all the art work photos provided by other Princess cruisers.

We do enjoy walking on the promenade when a full one is available but on Sky (and other Royal Class ships) we will succumb to bathing in sunscreen, grab our hats, and enjoy the track waaaaaay up on top of the ship. If we tire of the corridors, we’ll head up there, I guess.

But my cruise exercise motto is “All the stairs, all the time, no matter how high the heels!!”.

Edited by gotta cruise again
Omitted a needed word—oops!
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Astro Flyer said:

I need to minimize sun exposure so the uncovered track wasn’t good for me in addition to being more exposed to the elements so I used the gym’s treadmills instead.

I just went to the dermatologist this week and he told me to minimize my exposure as well. Guess I'll be in the gym as well in Jan/Feb.....😊😊😊

Bob

• Like 1

On 9/18/2019 at 3:09 PM, LadyElle said:

First of all the younger folks 20's - 30 's are not sailing on Princess because Princess does not have the extra attractions as Carnival, RC & NCL; meaning race track, water rides, skyline etc. The 40's age group sails with Carnival because they are cheaper and have more less than 5 day cruising and after hour dancing.

50's age group like RC for the large theme ships and after hours dancing and NCL for the over abundance of extra dining options you pay for and their White Night theme party.

I sail on Princess for the less children being on board, High Tea is free , passengers have social class and very friendly to see everyone around them have a great time. No nickle and diming the passengers, not using the intercom to sale and talk in different languages ever 30 minutes like MSC cruises, the food and customer service are of high quality than Carnival. Maintaining my Princess Club points to reach Elite status.

Agree for some of it but.... Our adult kids (all in their early 20s, only one married and all kid-free) prefer Princess over RCI (the only other line on which they have sailed.)  They are pretty laid back on cruises.....they may visit a bar for a drink but don't stay for long.  They prefer a glass of wine on their balcony. Actually, they sound more like their parents (later 50s.)  We did RCI for several cruises when they were younger and tried another line for Alaska (Uncruise, which we really liked.)  Princess is affordable for the whole family, offers enough to keep everyone as busy as they want to be and a nice environment (not a lot of screaming kids.) Our kids no longer need flowriders or rock climbing and aren't really in to the bar scene.  My husband and I appreciate that we aren't being constantly hounded to book......whatever....which was an issue on RCI.  The environment as a whole is much nicer on Princess (for us.)

Our cruises are more about the destination than the ship. I want to get from point A to point B....so I can see as much as possible at both points. We're usually ready to collapse between the points.

My husband and I are booked on Sky in Jan. 2020 and are looking forward to seeing the ship.  We've been on Regal and enjoyed it (but were in a mini at the time.  We're in a balcony this trip, so will be interested in seeing the difference.)  Honestly, as long as I have a balcony where we can sit and enjoy the passing view and a glass of wine, I'll be happy. We won't be there that much, so small won't bother me too much (I hope!!)

On 9/26/2019 at 7:33 PM, Astro Flyer said:

On the Royal/Regal there’s a line on the track dividing it into Run and Walk.

https://www.cruisecritic.com/photos/ships/royal-princess-400/jogging-track-229710/jogging-track--v11311100/

CA9BFD1B-EB87-42E2-831C-E82799DAF9CE.jpeg

And of course anyone that simply wants to stand at the railing and look out at the sea will be obstructing the path of the runners.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, caribill said:

And of course anyone that simply wants to stand at the railing and look out at the sea will be obstructing the path of the runners.

Along with the runners who think they own the whole track who will be running on both sides.....

Bob

• Like 2

2 hours ago, scottca075 said:

Not me.

I like my covered promenade, especially after dinner. I would expect the track to be damp at night.

I agree , one of the reasons I cruise is to be out in nature and enjoy the ocean. I don't do the shows at all. Thankfully the cruise I'm going on has lots of ports (7 day cruise and 6 ports) The Sky (and similar ship) would be and was my last choice.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Woobstr112G said:

Along with the runners who think they own the whole track who will be running on both sides.....

Bob

I would make more sense to put the walking track on the outside !  Bob - I am a runner and I am respectful of the walkers on the running trail - just like the cyclist are respectful of the runners and walkers !

• Like 2

13 hours ago, LMADAMS91 said:

Agree for some of it but.... Our adult kids (all in their early 20s, only one married and all kid-free) prefer Princess over RCI (the only other line on which they have sailed.)  They are pretty laid back on cruises.....they may visit a bar for a drink but don't stay for long.  They prefer a glass of wine on their balcony. Actually, they sound more like their parents (later 50s.)  We did RCI for several cruises when they were younger and tried another line for Alaska (Uncruise, which we really liked.)  Princess is affordable for the whole family, offers enough to keep everyone as busy as they want to be and a nice environment (not a lot of screaming kids.) Our kids no longer need flowriders or rock climbing and aren't really in to the bar scene.  My husband and I appreciate that we aren't being constantly hounded to book......whatever....which was an issue on RCI.  The environment as a whole is much nicer on Princess (for us.)

Our cruises are more about the destination than the ship. I want to get from point A to point B....so I can see as much as possible at both points. We're usually ready to collapse between the points.

My husband and I are booked on Sky in Jan. 2020 and are looking forward to seeing the ship.  We've been on Regal and enjoyed it (but were in a mini at the time.  We're in a balcony this trip, so will be interested in seeing the difference.)  Honestly, as long as I have a balcony where we can sit and enjoy the passing view and a glass of wine, I'll be happy. We won't be there that much, so small won't bother me too much (I hope!!)

Wow, your adult children have "Old Souls". I just don't believe in taken kids on a cruise, because they need something to plan with their own money. I did take my children to Disney, Busch Gardens Tampa, Universal Studio and Island of Adventure for 12 years straight for their vacation also an every weekend of amusement parks locally in our vacinity. They are gown and one has children of her own and she is doing the same with her children and the other adult child flies to Perto Rico on a monthly basis for her fun at the beach with friends. I adore Princess Cruise fleet for not having extreme entertainment on the top floor; roller coasters, racing track, claiming wall, zip line and water rides. Also, building Mega Ships which I will never sail on. I adore the High Afternoon Tea which is a really Big Plus in bringing me back every year and twice a year in 2021.

10 hours ago, caribill said:

That was our experience several times on the Promenade decks of the earlier Princess ships. 

10 hours ago, caribill said:

8 minutes ago, Mom33 said:

That was our experience several times on the Promenade decks of the earlier Princess ships. 

Well not quite, because I don't think the Promenade Deck has designated lanes for walking and running.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, scottca075 said:

Well not quite, because I don't think the Promenade Deck has designated lanes for walking and running.

That's the point. Walkers are  in the way of those that jog on the promenade. People enjoying the view at the railing are in the way as well. The jogger gets impatient with us and vice versa. 

4 minutes ago, Mom33 said:

That's the point. Walkers are  in the way of those that jog on the promenade. People enjoying the view at the railing are in the way as well. The jogger gets impatient with us and vice versa. 

I get that they get impatient, but without designated "lanes" on the deck, it just is what it is. The boardwalk at the beach where I live has designated areas for bikes and pedestrians and each should be irritated at the other when they are in the wrong lane obstructing others. A jogger in the jogging path on the Sky P could justifiably be irritated with gawkers and walkers in the jogging path and vice versa.

5 minutes ago, scottca075 said:

I get that they get impatient, but without designated "lanes" on the deck, it just is what it is. The boardwalk at the beach where I live has designated areas for bikes and pedestrians and each should be irritated at the other when they are in the wrong lane obstructing others. A jogger in the jogging path on the Sky P could justifiably be irritated with gawkers and walkers in the jogging path and vice versa.

I don't think you understood my post.It was a comparison of the track system and the promenade decks. We experience the problems in both places.

2 hours ago, Mom33 said:

As I remember it, signs ask people not to jog/run on the Promenade deck.

OK, a topic I have not seen discussed here.

I wonder how satisfactory the Retreat Pool area will be now that much of the lounging area on the Royal and Regal will be cabins on the Sky.

Will there be adequate area for passengers to just relax in the sun? Will there be any shaded area to relax in?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Crown Cruiser said:

All of the above is just as annoying as the people who "need" the stairs to get into one of the pools, but then they congregate there, because they can't swim.  Not fair to block the staircases.  🤔

I am a great swimmer when sober and an alright swimmer the rest of the time. It may be more likely that I am too lazy to swim around and just wish to wade around the stairs. Please don't mind me. My level of courtesy and helpfulness to you will always depend on how far into the day I am with my Premium Beverage Package. Let me apologize to you in advance for any inconvenience I may cause. 😄

Edited by masterty
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, caribill said:

OK, a topic I have not seen discussed here.

I wonder how satisfactory the Retreat Pool area will be now that much of the lounging area on the Royal and Regal will be cabins on the Sky.

Will there be adequate area for passengers to just relax in the sun? Will there be any shaded area to relax in?

It will probably be slightly cramped, pretty much as it is on the Grand class ships, with limited seating poolside.

8 hours ago, masterty said:

I am a great swimmer when sober and an alright swimmer the rest of the time. It may be more likely that I am too lazy to swim around and just wish to wade around the stairs. Please don't mind me. My level of courtesy and helpfulness to you will always depend on how far into the day I am with my Premium Beverage Package. Let me apologize to you in advance for any inconvenience I may cause. 😄

😂😂😂

• Haha 1