Grannys 2018 Adventure with Ponant!

BrisbaneGran

I am always amazed when people stay out in the mid-day sun, especially those with fairer skins.

Surprised that you didn't get off on Lizard Island. Lizard Island is on my "wish list".

Good to hear that the best part of the cruise was the food. I am not surprised that the baker was the most popular. Passengers will be looking for French Bakeries now to get their fix of delicious bread.

I wonder if Ponant will run similar cruises during our winter season, in lieu of our cyclone season.

BrisbaneGran: Thank you for the many updates on your voyage, and the photos of the ship!

Reading from the U.S., I had not appreciated the "cyclone season" factor in sailing in that region. We're familiar with our "hurricane season" here in North America from September-November, but I had thought more about this period being "summer" in Australia, not being familiar with the Coral Sea patterns.

It sounds like you and the ship weathered the conditions well, but that several days were compromised by either rain or rough seas. A key attraction of this itinerary for us will be getting onto these unique islands and into the water for snorkeling--I may need to reassess whether we should look for a voyage during calmer weather periods.

Again, many thanks for your posts and photos.

Steve

Cyclone season is January, February and March.......we don't really get many cyclones, but they can ruin a holiday at times!

A LOT of people who left the ship in Cairns, were on a "tour", where they were to fly to Darwin for 4 days, then get on a train called The Ghan, and travel the length of Oz.......that tour was apparently cancelled just a day or so ago, as NO planes were flying into Darwin due to another cyclone......no idea if alternate plans were made for them.......

Your cabin does look nice (apart from the narrow balcony and tiny toilet!). A walk in robe would have been a good addition but I think we are spoiled on Seabourn with their cabin layout. Did you get any photos of the "normal" suites? Based on your experience with Ponant, would you consider them again?

Your cabin does look nice (apart from the narrow balcony and tiny toilet!). A walk in robe would have been a good addition but I think we are spoiled on Seabourn with their cabin layout. Did you get any photos of the "normal" suites? Based on your experience with Ponant, would you consider them again?

My son was in a normal room......so I am waiting for him to send me some pics. We did enjoy our cruise, but I really think we would be sticking more with Seabourn. This week though, we are off to a Presentation by Windstar! LOL....good to have lots of options!

My son was in a normal room......so I am waiting for him to send me some pics. We did enjoy our cruise, but I really think we would be sticking more with Seabourn. This week though, we are off to a Presentation by Windstar! LOL....good to have lots of options!

Always good to have options! Between us I think we will cover most of them! I am trying Scenic Eclipse and Viking Ocean this year. Viking is bigger than we normally like, but the ships are beautiful and the adults only style appeals to me.so it is worth a try.

Always good to have options! Between us I think we will cover most of them! I am trying Scenic Eclipse and Viking Ocean this year. Viking is bigger than we normally like, but the ships are beautiful and the adults only style appeals to me.so it is worth a try.

and also heard a lot of Seabourn crew have gone to Viking......including Synchrony, not sure if that's spelt right.....Judith and Arvin and their Band.

Day 2 March 7

So far I have tried to connect to the internet twice in thelast two days , but although I get a connection, and am being charged , nopages have been able to load. Maybe tomorrow when we are closer to FraserIsland or Hervey Bay, I may pick up a connection. I know so many people complain about theslowness of Seabourns internet, but I am sure they are all the same. We arentall that far off the Australian Coast, and some people are getting phone signals.

Last night, as I fell into bed, I tried to do the same as Ialways do on cruises, and that is to read the daily Journal for the nextday. Wanted to make sure there wasntsomething early that we needed to go to or take care of. I stared at it for awhile, then woke up that we had been given the French language one......as weare not quite fluent in French just yet, I will leave a note for the steward toreplace it for an English version.

After breakfast this morning we had a compulsory briefingregarding the excursions and the safety procedures for the zodiacs. Of coursewe are “know alls” about this stuff, after doing 2 trips to Antarctica lastyear. We were introduced to ourExpedition Team, a group of 13, who come from France, Austria, Switzerland, Canadaand Australia. We probably wont be doing too many of these excursions, but willjust watch others from the comfort of the decks!

Our next mission was to discover Deck 3, sign up for someinternet, and organise our Colour Group for those excursions we may wish totake part in. We then found the MainLounge, also on Deck 3, and joined in a French Lesson with our CD, Kamel.

Shortly after our French lesson it was time for lunch. Wedecided to try the Main Restaurant this time, as we hadnt seen it at all. Lunchwas seafood, and most of the food was very nice, but the prawns were the worstwe have ever had! I also heard at least 4 other people near us complain aboutthem........I doubt very much that they were local ones. They were mushy, softand flourery, dreadful. Luckily I only took one, but most would have taken moreand left them on their plates.

We then spent half the afternoon snoozing and reading,something we have perfected over many years of cruising. We are becoming lazierevery year.......and loving it! Later we went to the Observatory Lounge forafternoon drinks. This Lounge is only a few steps from our room, so willprobably be the one we will frequent the most. Would love to be using theoutdoor Bar, but so far the weather has not been co operating for any outsideactivities. It has been wet and grey and the seas very rough.

One thing we discovered today, was that the “included”drinks doesnt really cover much! There are a lot of cocktails, apparently madewith the cheapest of the spirits, but if you want anything made with a betterquality spirit, that will cost you, and Im not just talking about Premiumbrands. I will get a list as soon as I can of what is included and what is not.To us it doesnt matter too much, because if we drink spirits, its always as amixed drink with coke or ginger etc, but for those who prefer a straight scotchetc.... it will cost extra. John asked what sort of beer theyhad.......Heineken.....thats it.....all the others I saw were 4 Euros. Only ONE brand of beer , with something like 130 Aussies on board?? THATS notgood!

Just before dinner was a Captains Reception out on the PoolDeck. Those who wanted could have their photo taken with the Captain. For us as Queenslanders, itwas still a bit chilly out there for us, but the Captain thought it was a lovelynight! The flag on the back of the ship was flying beautifully, as it was quitewindy, and it is a huge flag! Unfortunately, I hadnt taken my camera with me. Most of the time I have seen the flag,it is tightly wrapped aroud the flag pole!

It was a Formal night, but no one was dressed as formally asI am used to. This is an Expedition cruise, so thats probably the reason. TheMenu was a Tasting Menu, and the food was wonderful! We started with a scallop,in a carrot and orange gell....then a foire gras......a sea bass.....vealtenderloin.......chocolate praline....and strawberry tarts! We are reallyenjoying the food. The main Dining room was packed. TheCaptains Table was justacross from us, but I would think there were at least 12 people on the table......notsomething we enjoy at all. One thing that did impress us, was a Parade ofSilver Cloches to the Captains Table. We couldnt hear anything being said fromwhere we were sitting, but I could just imagine the “Un, Deux, Trois....Voila” that we used to get at EVERY table on Formalnight, on Seabourn. That is a tradition we do miss.

Dear BrisbaneGran,

We would like to thank you for thecomplete feedback you always take the time to write for all. As the commentscards used to be, all your comments are analyzed by PONANT and observations ofour guest allow us to improve our product in order to satisfy you.

With our best regards,

PONANT