Labadee cancelled

It is a bit confusing to me how it is safe to sail to St. Thomas but not St. Maarten. The two islands are not very far a part.
May depend what side of the island they dock at. And if it's a protected harbor

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

just got an update from the captain on the allure. We’re going to san juan then st thomas then nassau. Skipping st maarten. The atlantic is too unsafe to sail. Really disappointing but what can you do!

* * * deleted * * *

Edited by tullers

St Thomas is a much better harbor is it offers better shelter from winds - nothing like that at St. Maarten. Keep in mind that Charlotte Amelie used to have a naval base because it offered such good protection.

The premise is that the Atlantic is too rough to sail not the harbor differences.

It is a bit confusing to me how it is safe to sail to St. Thomas but not St. Maarten. The two islands are not very far a part.

St Thomas is a much better harbor is it offers better shelter from winds - nothing like that at St. Maarten. Keep in mind that Charlotte Amelie used to have a naval base because it offered such good protection.

Maybe the piers are full at Saint Maarten and St Thomas and San Juan become the fall backs.

just a sailor's guess but ....

the ride will be much nicer going back to the FL coast then south and using the Old Bahama Channel for the east leg

as compared to going 'outside' the Bahama bank.

look at that wave map in post #5 ... going 'outside' would be real E-TICKET ride as we Disney old timers call it ....

if this turns out to be the case be thankful as it probably is costing more fuel wise .....

going outside today would result in another video episode of "Oh my god, I thought we were all going to die ....."

Edited by Capt_BJ

Dang northeaster still messing with us. Can you imagine labadee being cancelled!! I completely understand. Safety first, gang plank shifting too much, concern about lines snapping.

But that storm we left early to avoid has pushed weather down into the caribbean and i feel like it's chasing me. Lol

I'm on harmony and with a boat this big and beautiful we will find something to do

Hmmm i wonder what time the bloody marys will be served

c8cf0d89654fe8888876c3ea6aa37b5e.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

I hate it when a storm chases the ship. :D Hope the weather calms down and you have a Bloody Mary in hand.

I bet the first one of the day has already been consumed.;)

It must be windy and wavy there today. I bet that it will happen once in a while when the pier at CoCo Cay is completed too. Enjoy your surprise sea day.

I attached a sea height and direction chart for today. Looks a little wavy out there thanks to the nor’easter.

5fbc5553d1295eb5f378f01a7013628b.jpg

This better be gone by next week!!! :mad::mad:

See you at the meet & greet.

I watched an update video from the ship master on why we are changing the itinerary on the allure. We had to turn back from Nassau and come all the way back almost (we could see Miami in the distance while we were at the pool). My husband was joking that were on Royal Florida and not Royal Caribbean. There is a storm over the Atlantic that’s almost the size of the USA and our original route would have taken us through waters with 20 foot swells. So we turned around and are sailing through the old Bahama channel. And that made it so there is no time to get to St Maarten and still have three ports. I think the crew has done a great job coming up with an alternative plan in order to ensure that we all still have a great vacation with no “I thought I was going to die” videos ;)

I watched an update video from the ship master on why we are changing the itinerary on the allure. We had to turn back from Nassau and come all the way back almost (we could see Miami in the distance while we were at the pool). My husband was joking that were on Royal Florida and not Royal Caribbean. There is a storm over the Atlantic that’s almost the size of the USA and our original route would have taken us through waters with 20 foot swells. So we turned around and are sailing through the old Bahama channel. And that made it so there is no time to get to St Maarten and still have three ports. I think the crew has done a great job coming up with an alternative plan in order to ensure that we all still have a great vacation with no “I thought I was going to die” videos ;)

Thanks for he update. It all makes sense now. Enjoy the week. I sure did three weeks ago.:)

We were on the HOS two weeks ago on a B2B and on the Eastern leg the winds from Florida to St Thomas were so bad they closed the 16th deck to passengers for two days. The sky’s were fantastic and temp great but the winds!

Last stop was Labadee and it was great sky’s again but again the winds blew us off the 16th deck and went into the Solarium.

Nice thing about HOS there is so much to do and places to go. I hope the rest of your trip is Fantastic!

I bet the first one of the day has already been consumed.;)

It must be windy and wavy there today. I bet that it will happen once in a while when the pier at CoCo Cay is completed too. Enjoy your surprise sea day.

I attached a sea height and direction chart for today. Looks a little wavy out there thanks to the nor’easter.

5fbc5553d1295eb5f378f01a7013628b.jpg

Where do you get this chart?