Live from Breakaway 3/7 -VERY FRUSTRATED-DISAPPOINTING TRIP-WON’T DO THIS AGA

Being a native New Yorker, we choose to sailed out of NYC out of convenience and NOT having to deal with flying those narrow body aluminum tin cans, good luck flying AA's newest 738 with 30" seat pitch in coach ... or, book with LCC in/out of NY in the winter months.

As such, we've sailed the BA 4 times, 3 of which on this milky 7 days run, got lucky 2 out of 3 tendering GSC, only went ashore once. The other times, we came to a full stop at GSC but conditions unsafe, sailed onward as a fun day at sea & docked at Nassau overnight.

Some sailed mega ships for all its amenities, options & facilities ... "ship being the destination" so it really doesn't matter all that much ?? especially living onboard the decks within the ship, as in Haven - not doing homework, due diligence ... surely, don't help with disappointment with children, kids & teens (and, grow-ups for that matter) in tow.

Cruising has its "risks" just like flying & the odds of running into turbulence, sometimes, the Captain simply cannot navigate quickly enough to get out of harm's way, despite modern radars & systems. The logic then should caution most cruisers to avoid the Hurricane season entirely, June 1st to November 30th; and the winter months due to storms & blizzards, say ... from when, November to April 1st. ??

Alas, that leave the Spring - nevermind Easter/Spring break with the crowds (another source for dissatisfaction, maybe ??) to sail & even leave the docks/cruise terminal ?? Sounds good, huh. I have bad news if anyone thinks the timing is good ... think, showers, rain & thunderstorms - they get lots of those on the tropical islands. Even true if you sail the Bermuda route starting in mid April (Escape is doing that, BA has been doing that run out of NYC for the last several years - and, yes - done it & had packed rain poncho ...)

Mother nature is what it is - it seemed, NCL has no problems whatsoever selling their inventory of cabins, even on a last minute basis, whether it's the BA or the Gem, obviously - the Escape is doing even better as being "new" to NYC's market.

The BA has its share of "problems" and challenges - the same can be said of just about every mass lines cruising the U.S. market ... I slept on my side of the balcony stateroom on the BA last November with a lousy, sagging mattress - ruined a near perfect cruise week. But, I wasn't going to curse and stop sailing the Atlantic waters. Hell, we are book on a "smaller" ship again, next, this Spring. If it rain on us ... let it be.

While the herd tried to jam to be first on the tender boat to go ashore, it's so much cooler to sit indoors & watch, over late breakfast ... maybe, even order a hot lunch to be delivered.

It is, in part, I say, mindset. One of my sibling's house is still waiting for Con Ed in the city to do a crew assignment to respond and fully restore electricity, offline since last Friday's storm ... collateral damages >>> lost of central heating & hot water, freezer now emptied. First world problems, there are necessities for basic living as we take for granted; and, then, there are upscale & luxury standards that we come to expect & enjoy - not bashing anyone but feel free to flame. DW and I always check our rearview mirrors & look around first.

Dear Lax from VT,

Thanks for providing a recap on your sailing. I'd be frustrated too...we all get so excited about each day of a cruise and have expectations for the experiences. It is disappointing when plans change beyond our control.

I've tried to learn over the years of many types of travel...cruises, land-based trips, cycling, ski and hiking trips...that you need to learn to "roll with the punches" when traveling because so much is out of our control due to weather. (My family had to spend Christmas night this year in a Marriott Courtyard at the Atlanta airport instead of our villa at a resort in Costa Rica...yes, we were all disappointed!!!). And it's so important to demonstrate agility and role model how to handle life when it doesn't go our way to our kids.

This posting and the others from ships sailing from NYC this year (not just NCL) reminds me...despite how tempting it is to book cruises out of the driveable (for us) port of NYC...to not do so in the winter. Too risky if you are hell bent on sunny, warm weather and smooth seas. Better to fly down to Fla or San Juan or cruise in the summer from NYC.

Anyway, I hope that the weather improves for the balance of your sailing and that you try to relax and enjoy the time with your family.

Travel safely!

Lynne