passport rule

I am Canadian and wanted to take my mom on a cruise out of Tampa.. She and my dad go to Florida for 6 months each year and he has passed away a few months ago..I booked the cruise and flew down Tuesday and did the online thing and her passport expires at the end of June and the cruise is at the end on March..SO I was wondering if anyone by chance has cruised with their passport about to expire less then the 6 months.. I have no time to get her a new one..Any help would be grateful.. THANK YOU

I am Canadian and wanted to take my mom on a cruise out of Tampa.. She and my dad go to Florida for 6 months each year and he has passed away a few months ago..I booked the cruise and flew down Tuesday and did the online thing and her passport expires at the end of June and the cruise is at the end on March..SO I was wondering if anyone by chance has cruised with their passport about to expire less then the 6 months.. I have no time to get her a new one..Any help would be grateful.. THANK YOU

You can do an expedited renewal, I've had my passport back within 4 days.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/canadian-passports/urgent-emergency-passport.html

As long as it is valid for the duration of the cruise you will have no problems. The rule you mention will only pop up if you are entering a country open ended such as by air, some countries require up to 6 months.