Just back - Century - not so short review

lysolqn

Just returned from Century nine-night Caribbean cruise - our fifth time on Century and our 23rd cruise on Celebrity. The itinerary was a perfect mix of four port days (Grand Cayman, Jamaica, Aruba and Curacao) and four sea days; the weather was consistently warm and sunny (except for two very brief showers on our first sea day), the skies were blue and the sea was as calm as a lake. Though ten years old, admittedly showing some signs of wear (to be addressed) and soon headed into dry dock for a major overhaul, Century remains a beautiful and elegantly appointed ship.

From the captain on down to every staff and crew member, everyone on Century was friendly and eager to please. Service was just what we’ve come to expect from Celebrity – excellent. Our cabin steward, waiter, assistant waiter, assistant maitre d’ and everyone else with whom we came in contact was as welcoming, sincere and as accommodating as one could hope for and all this was accomplished without anyone being gushy or obsequious. In line with X’s goals, we were treated famously. Say what you will about Celebrity, but service does seem to be one of its strong suits. As a poster in the crew area says, at Celebrity a perfect ten just isn’t good enough.

Food in the dining room was, as always, very good to excellent. We were a bit surprised, however, to find that one of our favorite dinner choices, rack of lamb (always offered at least once on a seven-night cruise and often more than once on longer cruises) was not available at all during this particular cruise. No one seemed to know why, but for some reason (cost-cutting, perhaps?) it wasn’t available. That aside, there were lots of other delicious choices and it was impossible to go hungry! With respect to the lunch buffets, we found them to be a bit lackluster in presentation and variety. Perhaps that’s because we’ve become accustomed to the M-class ships which have a larger buffet area and therefore a seemingly wider variety of offerings. Also, there appeared to be more repetition at the lunch buffet than we’ve noticed before. For instance, adjacent to the pizza/pasta station at the pool grill, there’s a Caesar salad and special-of-the-day station. During the nine days there were only three alternating “specials” - a curry station, a baked potato station and a taco station. Also, at the sandwich station in the rear, despite the name change, the hot sandwich seemed to be the same almost every day. No great shakes, just something we noticed which seemed to differ from X’s usual standards.

Entertainment was varied and quite good with three production shows, a comedian, a violinist, a singer and the “ladder” guy (if you’ve cruised Century, you know who I mean). While perhaps not the greatest entertainment offered on the high seas, the evening entertainment provided on Century was certainly enjoyable. The cruise director, Allan King, is a pro and probably one of the best in the industry - he and his staff are very accessible and do everything possible to make sure there’s plenty going on around the ship to keep everyone happy.

In recent months, much has been written on this board and others about the condition of Century now that she’s ten years old. I’ve read posts that would lead one to believe Century is a barely sea-worthy old rust bucket, and other posts that maintain she’s as pristine as she was the day she embarked on her first revenue-generating cruise some ten years ago. The fact is the truth rests somewhere the between the two extremes. We first cruised on Century during her inaugural year, then three other times before this, our fifth cruise on her. Century remains a beautiful ship and is in incredible shape considering she’s been carrying 1600 passengers every week for the past ten years. Century is the perfect size ship for those who shy away from mega-ships, and despite her size and passenger load, she never feels crowded – even on sea days. IMHO Century’s design is almost flawless. In fact, the only flaw I’m aware of is the limited access available to the dining room entrance on the fifth floor, and therefore the need to go up or down when getting to or from the dining room. Century’s public spaces are as lovely as ever and her classic, understated elegance is still present, even though she is showing some understandable signs of wear and tear.

While I wouldn’t call the ship old or worn, I would have to say it appears a bit tired, particularly with respect to the Islands Buffet and the theater, both areas of the ship which are well-used and abused by passengers, and now appear somewhat dated. That said, Century is still immaculate. No matter where you go, someone is always cleaning, polishing, varnishing or painting and that constant care goes a long way. Our cabin was in decent shape and true to other cabins we’ve had on Century, provided the best storage arrangement of any ship we’ve ever sailed. Nevertheless, after ten years of service, the bathroom fixtures were a bit discolored, the bed was terribly uncomfortable (until our cabin steward added a foam covering which immediately remedied the situation), and the frame of our desk chair was wrapped in masking tape. Did any of this adversely affect our cruise? Not a chance – and I still maintain that overall Century is in great shape, albeit a bit tired in some places. I’ve no doubt whatsoever that when she emerges from dry dock, Century will still be one of the most beautiful ships afloat. My one regret is that she will be sailing three- and four-night itineraries and because we prefer longer cruises, we’ll not likely have the opportunity to enjoy what X is now calling, the New Century.

Finally, a subject that is sure to evoke strong responses as it always does – the ever-controversial dress code issue. One of the things that makes Celebrity our cruise line of choice is the traditional cruise experience it offers its guests and that includes the continuation of formal and informal nights, something most other lines have all but eliminated. Let me say outright that, no, we really don’t care what other people wear and no, someone’s mode of dress doesn’t make or break our cruise, but…

While many passengers did respect the evening dress code on our cruise, too many did not. On both formal and informal nights, passengers were allowed into the dining room in shorts, tee shirts, bathing suit cover-ups, sweatpants, jeans and other clothing that didn’t even loosely qualify as formal or informal. On the two informal nights, perhaps only half the men wore jackets and that includes those whose jackets were windbreakers. On informal nights in particular, those who did respect the dress code actually looked out of place.

We overheard one passenger ask the maitre d’ why passengers who were clearly inappropriately dressed were permitted in the dining room, especially on formal nights and the response was simply, “there’s nothing we can do.” Well, I think there is something they can do. If X is going to continue to have an evening dress code and ask passengers to respect it, there should be some effort (even minimal) by X to see that those who refuse are likewise refused entrance to the dining room and very politely directed to an alternative dining venue.

Very good review. Thank you....Century is a beautiful ship.

We've just booked Constellation for March and I noticed that the dress code seems to have changed slightly to two formal nights and the rest are "Resort Casual". I've posted elsewhere and asked the question as to whether or not this a concession to the trend toward more "Freestyle" dining. I, too, enjoy the traditional dining practices.

I just checked the Celebrity website to see if this is where I read about the dining attire changes and found that they still say there are three different attire requirements on board ship (formal, informal and casual) just as there have always been. I'm not sure where I thought I picked up this change.

Sorry for the confusion and my misinformation. Isn't this how bad rumors start???:(

Rick

I hope your cut back theory is incorrect. Then of course we have the shrimp thread. X's quality of food as always been (IMO) their trade mark. We are leaving on Century on the 2nd. Rack of lamb is one of our fav's as well. Will keep an eye out for it and thoroughly test the shrimp policy. Thanks for the review.

lysolgn: Enjoyed your review of your Century cruise. We have also sailed on the Century 5 times and have sailed on all the other X ships but seem to keep coming back to her. We were on a 9-nighter (opposite itinerary than yours) on Oct. 29th and found the service to be the best we've ever experienced on any ship. We were lucky to have had the rack of lamb in the dining room on 2 different nights. I can certainly understand your disappointment when it wasn't available on your sailing.

Cindy

In addition to the items featured on the dinner menu each night, certain items that are not mentioned are always available upon request, including Caesar salad, shrimp cocktail, steak and salmon. Some recent posts have indicated that Celebrity has changed its policy and is no longer offering shrimp cocktail upon request because the "secret" is out as a result of cruise forums such as this one and the cost has become prohibitive.

My one regret is that she will be sailing three- and four-night itineraries and because we prefer longer cruises, we’ll not likely have the opportunity to enjoy what X is now calling, the New Century.

Why can you not continue to sail her? She will probably alternate those shorter itineraries ... so just do a back-to-back ... or a back-to-back-to-back. :)

Blue skies ...

--rita

Why can you not continue to sail her? She will probably alternate those shorter itineraries ... so just do a back-to-back ... or a back-to-back-to-back. :)

Blue skies ...

--rita

Hi Rita !

Of course, you are right, that one can still sail on her and do a back to back to get the 9 nights in.....but its just not the same as a single 9 night itinerary. A B2B is 2 separate Cruises, you waste an entire day back in Miami, and some of the ports are repeated. On the plus side, prices are good, and you get 2 Cruise Credits.

I cant understand the logic of putting $ 55 million into Century, only to have her beat up more, due to the shorter sailings and more embarkations and disembarkations. I would have had a ship that is due to be drydocked in 2007 do the shorter sailings (Zenith or Mercury ?) before I let a newly upgraded ship do this itinerary.

With that said, we will probably be seen on some of the shorter Cruises (although as a B2B) as we love Century.

Hi Lysolqn !

Excellent Review. We did the same itinerary on Century last month. I feel this is one of the best itineraries we have ever been on. I hope Celebrity will add at least a few sailings of this itinerary in the 2007/2008 schedule.

Regarding the Entertainment....Allan King is one of the best CD's out there. Nikola Loud (the violinist) was outstanding, and so was Michael James (The Ladder Guy). We have seen him maybe 6 times or so, and even though his act doesnt change much, we do enjoy seeing him.

I also thought the entire staff, from the Captain... down the list, was fantastic. Their attitude was as good as ever. The food was excellent. As for the Rack of Lamb.... I have NO idea why you didnt have it. We had it TWICE on our sailing, and that was a first for us. Perhaps they were not able to provision it ? I surely hope they did not drop it from the menu.

Overall, I thought the ship was in excellent condition, and I really did not see any major wear and tear. I did make the effort to look around (due to some of the comments on here). Do some areas look a tiny bit dated ? Yes.... but I am sure that will be taken care of in the drydock.

I also agree with your Comments about the shorter sailings. I am sure we will just do some B2B sailings instead. We are not very happy about it at all. I am also not thrilled, that Century will be leaving from Miami, instead of Ft Lauderdale, as I have not had many good experiences out of Miami. I am still hopeful they will not stick with that plan for long, if at all.

Again, thanks for the excellent review !

Thanks for your comments Andy.

Prior to our cruise, I have to admit that as a result of some recent posts on this board I was a bit concerned about the condition of Century. We did a B2B on the ship last January and really didn't notice much wear then. But a year is a long time and this time around, though still a beautiful ship, Century looked a bit tired. Nevertheless, we had a great cruise (despite the "senior" issue that's now been beaten to death on another thread!) and would welcome the chance to cruise on Century again. Like you, I'm hopeful X will add some longer itineraries because shorter cruises just don't cut it for us.

Thanks for your comments Andy.

Prior to our cruise, I have to admit that as a result of some recent posts on this board I was a bit concerned about the condition of Century. We did a B2B on the ship last January and really didn't notice much wear then. But a year is a long time and this time around, though still a beautiful ship, Century looked a bit tired. Nevertheless, we had a great cruise (despite the "senior" issue that's now been beaten to death on another thread!) and would welcome the chance to cruise on Century again. Like you, I'm hopeful X will add some longer itineraries because shorter cruises just don't cut it for us.

Hi Lysolqn !

I am glad you had a great time. I dont care for the Senior thread either, and I totally disagree with it. I rarely wish for a thread to go away, but that one would certainly be an excellent candidate. I think it is way off the path right now.

I do hope that Celebrity will reconsider the shorter 2006/2007 sailings, and at the very least, mix in a few longer sailings. I would think they could ditch a few of the 4/5 night sailings, and mix in a few 9 nighters. I would love to see them add a few sailings with the 9 night Western itinerary that we were on this season. This 9 night itinerary does not exist after March '06. I am sure some will say "whats the difference between a 4/5 night B2B and a 9 night sailing ?"... but there are differences. I am sure we will be fine with the B2B's but prefer it the other way.

Happy New Year !

Have a great new year and thanks for all your hard work on this board. I'm sure it takes a lot of time and effort on the part of the "hosts" and I don't see too many thanks posted along the way. Keep up the good work - we all appreciate it even if we don't say "thanks" often enough.

Have a great new year and thanks for all your hard work on this board. I'm sure it takes a lot of time and effort on the part of the "hosts" and I don't see too many thanks posted along the way. Keep up the good work - we all appreciate it even if we don't say "thanks" often enough.

Hi Lysolqn !

Thank you for the Very nice Comments. I know I spend a heck of a lot of time here each day.... probably TOO much <Smile>, but I enjoy every minute of it. It is always nice to be appreciated.

Host Walt and Host Anne do a fantastic job here, and I always say.....this is one of the greatest places on the internet. I am happy that many others feel this way also !

Happy New Year !

Archived