Alaska Inquiry

Cruzin&Snuzin

On our recent Reflection cruise we booked an Alaskan Cruise for 2019 (Eclipse). I know 2019 is a ways away but I like to plan ... and it's a celebratory cruise for a milestone birthday ... so this means over planning.

For this cruise we've booked an S1 Aft corner suite. The pole(s) in the room don't bother us, and we are looking forward to the "Suite Life" for this cruise.

We are active - so walking to/from the cabin is not an issue.

BUT...

Is Alaska the right cruise for a Suite? On the seven day cruise we are essentially sailing for 3 half days and three full days - so lots of ship time. This supports a suite.

Is the Aft corner suite better/same/worse for Alaskan viewing or should we consider a port or starboard Sky Suite instead? Will we find ourselves on deck for viewing most days during the cruising portion of the itinerary?

With Hubbard Glacier cruising and excursions (yes, expensive) that include glacier tours/viewing, I think the fact we don't go to Glacier Bay (this trip) will be OK. Is Glacier Bay an absolute on Alaska? (I am aware that means no Celebrity cruise).

I am also closely monitoring a recent thread comparing Princess vs. Celebrity for Alaska. We are not tying in a land vacation on this cruise, which would likely push us towards Princess. While this is a milestone birthday it's not one that ends with retirement. Still a few more trips around the sun for that.

I will be doing plenty of research for this trip too. With that said any and all feedback will be appreciated.

Cheers!

On our recent Reflection cruise we booked an Alaskan Cruise for 2019 (Eclipse). I know 2019 is a ways away but I like to plan ... and it's a celebratory cruise for a milestone birthday ... so this means over planning.

For this cruise we've booked an S1 Aft corner suite. The pole(s) in the room don't bother us, and we are looking forward to the "Suite Life" for this cruise.

We are active - so walking to/from the cabin is not an issue.

BUT...

Is Alaska the right cruise for a Suite? On the seven day cruise we are essentially sailing for 3 half days and three full days - so lots of ship time. This supports a suite.

Is the Aft corner suite better/same/worse for Alaskan viewing or should we consider a port or starboard Sky Suite instead? Will we find ourselves on deck for viewing most days during the cruising portion of the itinerary?

With Hubbard Glacier cruising and excursions (yes, expensive) that include glacier tours/viewing, I think the fact we don't go to Glacier Bay (this trip) will be OK. Is Glacier Bay an absolute on Alaska? (I am aware that means no Celebrity cruise).

I am also closely monitoring a recent thread comparing Princess vs. Celebrity for Alaska. We are not tying in a land vacation on this cruise, which would likely push us towards Princess. While this is a milestone birthday it's not one that ends with retirement. Still a few more trips around the sun for that.

I will be doing plenty of research for this trip too. With that said any and all feedback will be appreciated.

Cheers!

Glacier Bay is an all day of cruising in huge area of wilderness. Hubbart Glacier is really only a 4 hour stop assuming you can get near the Glacier.

The reality is some of your better views will come from the outside deck where you can go back and forth or forward and back based on the scenery you are trying to see.

With that said we have sailed Alaska in suites including twice on Celebrity and it certainly was a nice experience and at times we did sit in the suite to take in views.

Keith

On our Alaska cruise (NCL 10 days) we were in an AFT suite and spent the majority of our time onboard on our balcony, enjoying a pot of hot chocolate and watching the whales. Have room service dinner delivered to your suite and eat on your balcony while underway (or in your suite if it’s too chilly to dine outside).

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We recently had an aft suite and they would be ideal for Alaska. Usually during the cruising portions, Celebrity has a naturalist who gives a sort of "play by play" description. Many times there will be sights or wildlife on one side of the ship that may not be there on the way back so having an aft and seeing both sides is optimal