Casual versus Informal

bonni99

My partner and I recently returned from the Dec 8 caribbean cruise aboard QM2. Having been on two transatlantic crossings we thought we were well versed in what clothes to pack etc and referring to the brochure it stated that things were a little more casual in the caribbean..well when we boarded we were very surprised to find that other than the 4 formal nights- every other night was casual! We tend to prefer to dress up rather than down and on the transatlantic crossings had even tended towards the formal on informal nights- so really we had packed the wrong sort of clothes! My partner had lots of shirts and ties and an extra suit and all of these went unworn! I do think that Cunard should make the dress code clearer- they obviously know well in advance what the dress code will be so why dont they make it clearer in their brochure?

My partner and I recently returned from the Dec 8 caribbean cruise aboard QM2. Having been on two transatlantic crossings we thought we were well versed in what clothes to pack etc and referring to the brochure it stated that things were a little more casual in the caribbean..well when we boarded we were very surprised to find that other than the 4 formal nights- every other night was casual! We tend to prefer to dress up rather than down and on the transatlantic crossings had even tended towards the formal on informal nights- so really we had packed the wrong sort of clothes! My partner had lots of shirts and ties and an extra suit and all of these went unworn! I do think that Cunard should make the dress code clearer- they obviously know well in advance what the dress code will be so why dont they make it clearer in their brochure?

Why didn't you wear them anyway? In general, it's difficult to be over dressed. I would think it would be especially true on a cruise ship like QM2 in the evening.

Why didn't you wear them anyway? In general, it's difficult to be over dressed. I would think it would be especially true on a cruise ship like QM2 in the evening.

My thoughts exactly. Casual or not I always wear a jacket and tie aboard the QM2. It's an elegant ship and a privelege to sail her and so much enjoyable to stroll the corridors dressed to the nines instead of the buck fifties.

Cruiserking

My thoughts exactly. Casual or not I always wear a jacket and tie aboard the QM2. It's an elegant ship and a privelege to sail her and so much enjoyable to stroll the corridors dressed to the nines instead of the buck fifties.

Cruiserking

------------------------------------------------

My daughter and I agree completely! We always dress "fit to kill", no matter what the stated "dress code" is.

Glad to know that I won't be alone. I still hope that we will have a high number of informal nights, but if not we will still be on a Cunarder. Thus, just like on the fondly remembered Caronia, casual and informal both can denote jacket and tie, only in varying degrees.

Cruiserking

Its the tie part that I have a problem with. I will gladly wear a jacket,suit,tuxedo and I will bring extra dress shirts instead of knits, but as I said in an earlier post I am not a true "Cunarder"

A QM2 Caribbean cruise doesn't seem to require us to dress smart casual as Bonni99 indicated. It doesn't mean we should dress poorly either.

As far as woman who "dress to kill". That sounds very appealing to me and I thank you. Your efforts will not be wasted on me, Let me hasten to add that I am not a womanizer, DW would not permit it;)

I'm 6 feet tall 214 pounds with white to gray hair:) and a dud at trivia but I dance................. and I still drive at night (Florida joke).

Marty

Its the tie part that I have a problem with. I will gladly wear a jacket,suit,tuxedo and I will bring extra dress shirts instead of knits, but as I said in an earlier post I am not a true "Cunarder"

A QM2 Caribbean cruise doesn't seem to require us to dress smart casual as Bonni99 indicated. It doesn't mean we should dress poorly either.

As far as woman who "dress to kill". That sounds very appealing to me and I thank you. Your efforts will not be wasted on me, Let me hasten to add that I am not a womanizer, DW would not permit it;)

I'm 6 feet tall 214 pounds with white to gray hair:) and a dud at trivia but I dance................. and I still drive at night (Florida joke).

Marty

Gosh, Marty!

I can't wait!

I plan on dressing to kill also-- Spent all day traipsing around trying to put some things together- Like a white shawl or wrap for a couple of my gowns - try buying that in CT in December! and no dice on the hat for the Ascot ball, but I got a plain hat and some ostrich feathers and sheer ribbon and such- I will make a hat Camilla would die for! I'm having a little more problem with our pirate outfits. Starting to get broke on stuff! I-party charges WAY too much for a cheesey little tri-corn hat. Like $6.99 or something. Bought a couple of plastic cutlasses- But NO eye patch! They had an adult "patriot" costume for $40 , but no pirate costumes on hand. I just hope Marc isn't going to balk at me putting one of my frilly blouses on him! While in the fabric store, I ran into a bunch of people discussing Ren Faires (where they also do pirate reenactment) These people are really serious! They have their own alter-egos they "go" as. They gave me helpful hints on the pirate costume. Now if I can get Marc to wear it and keep it on long enough to be seen! He claims I liks to dress him up and humiliate him! He's just mad because he picked up his new tux today and didn't like cranking up the old credit card! So make sure you compliment him on what a GREAT pirate he makes (and tell the DW to tell him how sexy he looks!) I keep telling him how all the girls are in love with Johnny Depp from Pirates of the Caribbean! Then I told him I'd love to find a Captain Morgan type jacket for him! (Since Captain Morgan sacked Panama, after all!) He wasn't impressed with the Captain Morgan look! (Well, how about the rum, then! I was ready to buy some tonight! - Long tiring frustrating day!)

Marty! Speaking of rum, I found some simple sugar at Marshall's/Home Store! (on sale!) For making Mojitos! They also had lime simple syrup. I'm ready for one right now! If I only had some fresh mint!

So yes, I will be dressed more to the formal side on our Caribbean cruise. And if you see me wering a white shawl (in a vain attempt to cover that expanse of belly) don't laugh. you'll hurt my feelings. I'm making the damned thing! (And I can't sew for beans!) <G>

5 more days and a wake-up!

Karie!

P.S. I also picked up some streamers from the I-Party store- They are selling them for New Year's in case anyone wants to do the traditional send-off, even if there is no one on the pier to see us! WE'LL see it! And we can take pictures of each other!

Karie, you sound like our kind of "girl" (LOL)!

Stay on the ship and join us as we travel around South America!

Gawd!

Wouldn't I love to! I will make South America yet! (Well, I've been to Venezuela just before the short-lived coup- And of course Panama on a previous Cunard trip)

I want to do the whole trip around the Horn, But I'm afraid to be gone any longer than I am. THe office might suddenly discover they can live without me! <LOL>

Well, that and I'd need a bunch more money, and since there are only three people in Marc's company, when he's gone, so is a third of the workforce! (and a critical third at that!)

<sigh>

Why wasn't I born idle rich, instead of merely brilliant and devastatingly beautiful! <LOL>

Karie

Gawd!

Wouldn't I love to! I will make South America yet! (Well, I've been to Venezuela just before the short-lived coup- And of course Panama on a previous Cunard trip)

I want to do the whole trip around the Horn, But I'm afraid to be gone any longer than I am. THe office might suddenly discover they can live without me! <LOL>

Well, that and I'd need a bunch more money, and since there are only three people in Marc's company, when he's gone, so is a third of the workforce! (and a critical third at that!)

<sigh>

Why wasn't I born idle rich, instead of merely brilliant and devastatingly beautiful! <LOL>

Karie

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Well, my daughter and I "play like" we're rich (LOL) AND good-looking!

We are planning on making reservations for the first leg of the Round the World cruise on the QE2 (2007) while onboard the QM2 next month. Think about joining us! Edithe in Dallas TEXAS

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Well, my daughter and I "play like" we're rich (LOL) AND good-looking!

We are planning on making reservations for the first leg of the Round the World cruise on the QE2 (2007) while onboard the QM2 next month. Think about joining us! Edithe in Dallas TEXAS

Well, I will do my best to convince the other half. He is not nearly as adventurous as I. We had an opportunity to go to Cuba a few year's back- My agency had a license from Treasury. He didn't want to go, as he doesn't speak Spanish! Well, neither do I. My agency owner and the head of our educational program (through the state community college system) have been to Cuba numerous times, set up the entire thing, including guides, and speak Spanish. As it turned out, having to choose between spending the money on my 30th High School reunion (Why yes, I did graduate when I was 6!) or that, we opted for the reunion, but I am really sorry I missed that opportunity, since who knows when I will get the opportunity to do that legally again!

But I will work on him. The biggest problem is the amount of time We usually can't afford to be gone for that long, since he is crucial to his three-man business! Of course the money is always dependent upon our circumstances at that time, and how much other fun stuff we've blown the discretionary budget on!

P.S. I pretend to be brilliant and beautiful too. Sometimes it fools even me! Rich is a little harder sometimes, when I take out my wallet to pay the bills! <G>

Well, I will do my best to convince the other half. He is not nearly as adventurous as I. We had an opportunity to go to Cuba a few year's back- My agency had a license from Treasury. He didn't want to go, as he doesn't speak Spanish! Well, neither do I. My agency owner and the head of our educational program (through the state community college system) have been to Cuba numerous times, set up the entire thing, including guides, and speak Spanish. As it turned out, having to choose between spending the money on my 30th High School reunion (Why yes, I did graduate when I was 6!) or that, we opted for the reunion, but I am really sorry I missed that opportunity, since who knows when I will get the opportunity to do that legally again!

But I will work on him. The biggest problem is the amount of time We usually can't afford to be gone for that long, since he is crucial to his three-man business! Of course the money is always dependent upon our circumstances at that time, and how much other fun stuff we've blown the discretionary budget on!

P.S. I pretend to be brilliant and beautiful too. Sometimes it fools even me! Rich is a little harder sometimes, when I take out my wallet to pay the bills! <G>

I am thinking when we went on the same trip twice before it was "about" 16 or 18 days long as the QE2 goes through the Panama Canal, which the QM2 cannot.

Well, I know my daughter is brilliant (she has been a member of MENSA since age 16) and other people are always affirming my opinion (prejudiced, I grant you) that she is beautiful (LOL)!

I am thinking when we went on the same trip twice before it was "about" 16 or 18 days long as the QE2 goes through the Panama Canal, which the QM2 cannot.

Well, I know my daughter is brilliant (she has been a member of MENSA since age 16) and other people are always affirming my opinion (prejudiced, I grant you) that she is beautiful (LOL)!

We actually went on the Cunard Crown Dynasty. Those were 800 passenger ships. We really loved those ships. Took four cruises on them- 2 on the Crown Jewel, 1 on the Dynasty, and 1 on the Countess.

Mensa-Yes, Marc and I are/were both members. He dropped his years ago. I still keep mine up, but who has time to attend any functions? And our RG (Regional Gathering) is about the same time as our annual Parrothead Convention in Key West, called- ironically enough, Meeting of the Minds! <LOL>

Don't ask me how PH convention got that name! I'm totally clueless!

Okay, NOW who wants to be on my trivia team!

Archived